1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

No rational human would trust letting you take a tv remote control ,let alone giving you a gun or ask you of what you see is more suitable to justice

, a person like you who support killing of innocent people would be behind bar in Saudi Arabia , you commit a crime or you encourage it or you attempt to carry what you see justice into your own hands : you share the same fate as you deserve locked behind door for good

2. Granville

Granville Member

What an illogical emotional response..... The reference to Martin being suspected of being a burglar by school officials is just supporting the allegation that Martin was acting suspicious that night when Zimmerman saw him. That's not why Martin was shot. Move past the girlie slumber party drama and think like a grown up.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Now THAT is funny.

4. Granville

Granville Member

Wow....this was even worse than your last post. People on your side of the argument are gonna ask you to stop at some point.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I said from the start was that GZ should have gone on trial. I said I would be satisfied with whatever the verdict was. I was satisfied with the verdict. I don't have a problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is the prejudging of Martin, who hasn't been found guilty of anything.

You can claim that Trayvon had burglarized a house, and he may have. He certainly warrants being a suspect of burglary. But he was never convicted and never had a trial in which to present a defense. So claiming definitively that he was guilty is basically convicting him without the benefit of a trial. I don't think it's fair or necessary in this case.

It has nothing to do with anything in the original killing of Trayvon Martin at all or any opinion about it.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never claimed that he burglarized a home, I said that he was in possession of stolen jewelry and when you find someone with a bag full of stolen jewelry and a flathead screwdriver it's not a stretch to consider that a burglary tool.

I also pointed out that he was never charged due to police corruption that was later outed in an internal affairs investigation. He was definitely guilty of being in possession of stolen jewelry and there's nothing really that would change that.

Also, no one prejudged Martin, all of this came out much later. I'm pretty sure that most people bought the story they were selling about him being a good natured kid. Eventually evidence to the contrary came out and some changed their opinion based on the new information, some stuck to their original impression and ignored everything else.

The fact that he was a budding criminal who liked to get in fights kind of is relevant to how he got himself killed because if he was the good kid he was initially sold as then he wouldn't have attacked Zimmerman for the crime of looking at him and he'd be alive right now. Likes to fight kid ran into coward with a gun and when you attack someone that has a gun, you are begging them to kill you.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

What are you even trying to prove at this point? That Zimmerman wrongfully targeted a saint?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You must not have been reading what I've posted.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I've said, that Trayvon certainly seemed troubled, had issues, and would probably not be someone I'd like to be around.

But at the same time we don't need to call a flathead screwdriver, burglar tools. We don't need to say that Trayvon was guilty of anything for which he never had a chance to provide a defense.

There's no need to pre-judge him guilty of these things. He wasn't brought up on charges of assault, or burglary and thus had no opportunity to provide a defense.

That doesn't mean he isn't guilty of those things. He might be guilty, but we don't know.

None of that matters because GZ killed him. GZ was tried and acquitted. That's the end of the story.

Pretending like everyone knows the sum worth of Martin based on only a few things without him being able to provide a defense against those claims is nothing more than pre-judging. That's all.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The legislature calls screwdrivers burglary tools, both in Florida and in California, if they are possessed with the intent to use them to break into places and steal things. Possession of a screwdriver for that purpose is a felony in Florida (Florida Statutes 810.06). Obviously there will never be a trial of Trayvon Martin for violation of that statute, but I can tell you that in my experience a conviction would be likely based on his possession of the screwdriver at school in his backpack along with jewelry that was apparently stolen from a nearby home.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It's possible, but we don't know and can't know. Of course without the benefit of a defense being presented it's easy to say that a conviction would be certain. It's definitely possible that there would be no suitable defense and he would have been guilty no matter what. But we don't know. That's my point we don't know.

So making definitive statements about the kid is a prejudgment.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, a few things

1. The ONLY reason there was never a case on it was due to corruption in the Miami-Dade Schools Police Department where they made cases like this go away by not writing them up so they could claim a reduction in student crime. This specific case was even part of the Internal Affairs investigation that outed that corruption.

2. We can make definitive statements about how he was found with about a dozen pieces of jewelry that was stolen and next to that he had a screwdriver which was believed to be used as a burglary tool. We can say that because those are the undisputed facts.

3. We can make definitive statements about him being suspended for being found with a bag of weed at school, which there also wasn't a case on due to the same corruption. Again, it's undisputed fact.

4. We can make definitive statements about him getting in fights and liking to fight based on text messages recovered from his phone. It's undisputed fact.

I mean, we can also make statements about Zimmerman being a douchebag because his history indicates that as well. When you really look into it, both people involved were basically bad people. One bad person attacked the other bad person and the 2nd bad person shot him for it. This story really is as simple as that.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

"a coward with gun freaked out when saw a Black kid so he shot him"

doubtingly they know it , many can relate to this coward and become emotionally involved. some choose to defend him , other choose to pay insanely for his gun to help him out , some even expressed their concerns about his promising McDonald's flipping burger career challenge , in other world , he is irrationally a popular hero to certain segment of the society

I highlighted your selected choice of words which reflect perfectly your opinion, see how pathetically assembled ,
    suspected +suspicious =illogical emotional response!!!in other words it is green signal to shoot

anything less than a mass rape punishment is funny to you

I don't think you realized how Bob tried to move away from the topic when he cant respond . but that's being said ; speak whats on your mind and let worrying about what others might thinks aside. there is a reason why words selection such as : irrational , emotional repeated in a contagious parrots style from one to another when it poorly fits their arguments .

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You can make whatever statements you want, but if you believe in the idea of our justice system, like I do, the kid hasn't had a trial and never had the opportunity to put forward a defense for any of it.

All of what you said is possible. It's also possible that if he had the opportunity to present a defense his supposed friend who he said the stolen stuff was, would have come forward and verified the story. There is no way to tell. A million other things could have happened in the trial. The reason why he was never tried isn't Trayvon's fault, and doesn't prove that the cases against him were unbeatable.

The social media and phone messages ( I believe some of them were never confirmed to be the same Trayvon Martin) are enough to make me not like the kid or think highly of him. It doesn't make him a burglar or guilty of assault.

None of it makes him innocent of those things either. It's possible he's guilty of all of it. But I believe in the idea of a fair trial for everyone, and I won't buy into definitive statements about the kid without him having had a chance to defend himself. Sure, the side against him had the opportunity to present their side of the story. But he never got to put out his side of the story.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That just means that you don't throw him in jail for those crimes, it doesn't mean they didn't happen. They are facts, and they are undisputed.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It means the crimes happened, but it doesn't mean that Martin is guilty of them. The evidence of only one side has had the opportunity to be released to the public.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, sure, and OJ is innocent too.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

George Zimmerman was an insurance underwriter and a college student (at a JuCo).

18. Granville

Granville Member

The facts don't line up with your simpleton view of this case.

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    The cartoon below was sent to me by a colleague -- do you think it sheds light on why the media push the Black Lives Matter movement as they do? Do you feel as though the liberals are manipulating the emotions of these voters for their political gain?

[​IMG]

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The GOP has had a multi-decades long racially motivated southern strategy and then Republican shills like yourself claim liberals are manipulating emotions for political gain. LOL Like... wut? Nothing quite so conservative as stupid cartoons and photoshopped memes. Good job, good effort.