1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travel advice [Germany]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by getsmartnow, Mar 21, 2009.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Ok. So in September/October I'll be travelling to Germany, and was wondering if there's any advice on places to travel, things to see/do, etc...

I'll be flying into Frankfurt in late September, then going to the big cities (Munich-yes, will be there for a few days in Oktoberfest; Berlin, Nuremberg, Hamburg). But what I'm really interested in is the places between the big cities, the small villages and such.

Also, is it worth checking out Austria/Switzerland while I'm there? I've got about 4.5 weeks in total.

Thanks!

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Definitely worth checking out parts of Austria and Switzerland, if you have the time. The area around Interlaken, Switzerland is beautiful. Grindelwald is a good spot to visit, if you make it to Interlaken and want to go into the mountains. You can see the Eiger, in all its glory (rent Clint Eastwood's The Eiger Sanction for some feel for the area). If you have to pick between Austria and Switzerland due to time, I'd pick Switzerland, although Austria is groovy. Lucerne is a beautiful Swiss city. If you go there, go to the top of Mount Pilatus. Spectacular!

1 person likes this.
  3. WillG

WillG Member

Do you need to know German to get around there? Ive always wanted to visit there but dont speak german

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No! Really, a huge number of Germans either speak English enough to get by, speak it pretty well, or speak it better than half the Texans I know. ;)

5. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Rent a car in Munich and you can visit some absolutely beautiful spots in Bavaria. The drive through the Alps is some of the most beautiful landscape I've ever seen.

Lake Prien has 1 of Ludwig's castles, and it's a fun place to spend a day. Schwangau has the most famous castle, Neuschwanstein (sp?). You can see that second castle on a bus tour from Munich, but the drive from Prien to Schwangau is straight through the Alps. You also get to take your time on the tour. That was probably my favorite part of my stay in Bavaria. We hiked a few hours up the mountain behind the castle and picnicked up there for the most gorgeous vistas.

If you want you can drive up the Romantic Highway to Rottenburg, which is a pretty cool ancient-looking city. Apparently an American General ordered it not to be bombed in WWII because he honeymooned there. Don't do the side visits on the Romantic Highway because they're pretty lame tourist traps. Driving on the autobahn=cool.

I was in Munich for Oktoberfest back in 2000. I'm curious what you think of it. There were a lot more dizzying rides and electric rides than I thought I would see.

I loved Vienna as well as Zurich. We spent a night in Freiburg on a separate trip, which is really close to Zurich.

2 people like this.
  6. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

As has been stated, most Germans know a good bit of English, but learning a few stock phrases in German goes a long way and you'll get a much friendlier response. That pretty much goes in any country.

At least know how to say yes, no, hello, please, do you speak english, thank you. A few others are good for food situations. Bill please, and it's very good will endear you to waiters who are used to pretty rude Americans.

We got by on about 15 phrases and the goodwill of Germans for a few weeks.

7. YAMAS

YAMAS Contributing Member

I would for sure get a reservation in one of the beer tents at Oktoberfest. Tables are tough to come by without them.

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

You're going to have a great time there. The Alps are awesome and Neuschwanstein is a must see. That whole area is one of the the most picturesque I've ever seen. Renting a car is good, but taking the train to that area was one of the coolest parts of the trip.

As for Oktoberfest, I didn't have too much trouble finding places to sit, but it does get crowded. Good luck trying to get those mugs out of the tents though. I got about four, but it was work.

The park in the middle of Munich is also worth seeing. That was one of my favorite city parks. So many huge trees, you can almost forget you're in the city. Oh and try the schnitzel.

In short, you'll enjoy it.

Deckard's right about there being a good number of people who speak a basic amount of English, but with the time you have I would definitely recommend learning some German, it'll only make it better.

Last thing, don't know if you are single, but man are there some good looking women.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Go to Bamberg - one of the best small cities in the world, and if you like beer it is heavenly.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was born in Bittburg, Germany, a small beer-making village in Western Germany near Luxembourg. Sadly, we moved when I was two. (My father was in the Air Force...my parents and brother and sister lived there for four years)

My family absolutely loved living there. I would someday love to go and visit.

11. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I'm single and will be traveling by myself for the most part. :D

I also have relatives in Nuremburg, so I'm sure they'll show me around. I also speak a little German, but will have to brush up again before I head off.

I'm looking forward to the experience of traveling by myself (never done it before), and especially going overseas (haven't been since Thailand in 93!).

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i like freiburg best.......it's in the middle of the black forest, in southwestern germany

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

This. Especially the part about the scenery. I have no idea what Heaven looks like, but when I imagine it, it's the Bavarian Alps. I've been to Munich four times and this was my trip each time with Oberammergau (google it) and Dachau as well. I somehow never made it to the Eagles Nest....guess I need to plan another trip.

14. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Concur with all. I'm telling you though, take the train. At least for that part.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man wish I was there for some Oktoberfest!

[​IMG]
    2009 8:34PM
    TIMM SCHAMBERGER / AFP/Getty Images
    Women wearing traditional Bavarian dirndl dresses ride on the "Top-Spin" at the start of the Oktoberfest beer festival at the "Theresienwiese" in Munich, southern Germany. The world famous Oktoberfest takes place from September 19 to October 4, 2009 and is, with over six million visitors, the world's largest folk festival.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I was in Zurich for 2 days and Berlin for 3, I probably can't help you much

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

OCTOBERFEST !!!!

DD

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You really don't. Most of the younger people speak English, and the transportation is very well laid out.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Spent the past two days at Oktoberfest, feel pretty destroyed today, but have to go back a few times with business partners, etc.

20. Landlord Landry

I haven't traveled the world nearly as much as some other people here....but as a whole, I'd say German women rank pretty low on a world scale.

best looking females in the world are right here in the USA.