1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travel advice- Europe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by getsmartnow, Sep 16, 2012.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I've got a mate currently travelling around Europe, and he invited me to meet him over there. Because of time and money constraints I can probably only meet him in one country. Right now I'm deciding between Turkey and Norway. I'll probably be going some time in November. I've been to Europe before, but never those countries. Anyone have any advice/suggestions which country I should go to.

Turkey: I'm a big history buff, and have always wanted to go. It's relatively cheap. Nice climate.

Norway: Total change of climate (I'm Aussie). Northern Lights. Amazing scenery. But gonna be freezing.

Thanks and rep awarded for suggestions!

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Out of the two, I'd pick Turkey. Just sounds like a place that's more cultured.

Or you can go to Eastern Europe and stay at their hostels. I've seen good things about them from movies.

1 person likes this.
  3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Any other choices? If you're interested in visiting turkey, go for it. November is not the time of the year to visit Norway, unless you plan on skiing. Have fun!

1 person likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i went to norway this past summer.....the fjords are spectacular......but it'll probably be raining/snowing in november, which ruins the experience.......very expensive there too

turkish riviera should be pleasant in november, and istanbul not too bad as well

1 person likes this.
  5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Turkey without a doubt

Much of Norway is beautiful but a boring place in my opinion. And in November? Too cold in Norway unless you spend a lot of time skiing

1 person likes this.
  6. TISNF

TISNF Member

Yeah I'd go with Turkey as well. Norway's great and the girls are beautiful, but Turkey is the place to be.

1 person likes this.
  7. jocar

jocar Member

Parents were there last summer. They said it was beautiful. The "Sacred City", the volcanic rock formations and cave dwellings, the largest? Roman ruins in the Medierranean. Skinny dip in the hot springs, or a hike Mt. Ararat and get a picture doin the Titanic "Top of the World!" pose on the front of Noah's Arc (if u can find it).

1 person likes this.
  8. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I was leaning towards Turkey, just based on the weather situation.

Thanks everyone!

Rep all 'round!

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Turkey at that time of the year - for sure. I have been to both places. Norway is beautiful, but in November - forget it!!

1 person likes this.
  10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Turkey has a lot of History and since you are a History buff, you will be able to appreciate the Historical sites and landmarks available. Also the food and culture are amazing! I am being very biased though as I have no input for Norway. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Turkey sounds ****ing awesome from co-workers accounts.

One of the rising nations too.

1 person likes this.
  12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Haven't been to either but I've always wanted to go to Turkey

1 person likes this.
  13. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

LOL If there's a cultured region in Europe, then it's Scandinavia.
    I'd also pick Turkey though, only because Norway is expensive and pretty cold in November.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've lived in the Scandinavian peninsula for a few years as a school boy, it's nice. Haven't been to Turkey, but it looks like there's so much more to do and experience there. I still think it's more cultured than Norway from my limited experience.

I'd go to both if I had the chance. Both are nice in their own ways. But if I had to pick one...

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's not more cultured, but there is more to do, better for partying and in November, the weather in Norway is awful. It's also cheaper - Oslo is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

If you like nature, I would recommend to visit Norway in the summer (especially the fjords).

16. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Yeah, Turkey. Norway is SO expensive, it's ridiculous. You will definitely notice it, it's painful ordering a beer there.

17. Garner

Garner Member

If money is a constraint avoid Norway; you will be a Millionaire in Turkey.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

.......:)

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

it wouldn't be freezing in Norway now, unless you go the very North / Spitsbergen and such.

I'd probably prefer Norway, but it's rather expensive. Where else in Europe have you been? If you've visited places like UK, Germany and haven't been in any Muslim countries, definitely Turkey.

20. Ashcoza

Ashcoza Member

norway is underrated, if you like the outdoors and good views, go on the bergen to oslo train, see teh fjords, both bergen and oslo have fun character in their towns. Not as big and chaotic like istanbul might be(which has amazing history and architecture especially) but it all depends on what you are looking for and what a good time is for you