1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Correa for a young pitcher with team control

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Jul 18, 2019.

?

Poll

1. Yes

30.1%
  2. No

69.9%
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

What is over the top about saying our captain and leader should be untouchable. The one who led us to a championship. That' is pretty normal right. Yes. It is. If you want to establish a culture of winning it all starts with leadership and we have it. Don't cut the head off of something that is working.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its the concept of worrying about a "problem" before it actually happens.

People have basically been complaining about Correa leaving as a free agent the second he was called up. Meanwhile, Springer will be a free agent after next year unless something happens this offseason... and if it doesn't, why shouldn't the Astros explore trading him? (again, I'm not advocating for it... just pointing out the flaw in this board's reasoning). Where are the countless fears that Springer may leave for a bigger deal or bigger market?

People also favor Springer because he's a fun-loving dude who's energy is infectious... even though it wasn't that long ago when people were claiming he couldn't stay healthy for an entire season.

Lastly, who are the real great pitchers that are not only magically available, but teams would be willing to trade now (making their team significantly worse) to take on an everyday player? Its just not the sort of deal that makes a lot of sense for the team trading the pitching.

You bring up the Harper deal... where the Astros were the closest team to actually trading for him. Granted, he would have been a rental, but the best pitching prospect they offered was JBB. Correa would net elite prospects, no doubt... I have reservations that a deal for elite established pitching would be possible (or even necessary, given that those teams probably would take prospects as well).

biff17 likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He *is* doing what they're doing now. Good gravy - are people aware Carlos Correa has a .907 OPS?... Yes, he's hurt and that's unfortunate. But this idea he's fallen irrevocably behind the Astros' other hitters is just bananas.

The Astros will have the best 1 and 2 starters in the playoffs. Miley is a competent 3. They have a back end of the bullpen that is, at their best, crazy good. They don't *need* another starter (though they may need 1 or 2 to survive the regular season).

I'm sure the Astros are open to ANY trade they think will make them better. But this idea that we *need* to trade Correa because of his likely asking price, or injuries, or because we don't like his fiancee...

He was the #1 overall pick; an 18-year old that had the entire hope & future of a franchise thrust on his back, and he responded by living up to every expectation, including being a driving force behind a championship. People need to have a much healthier respect for what he's meant to this team. And for how great he is.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Carlos has been unlucky with his injuries thus far.

Last year he was looking every bit an MVP prior to injury.

This year he was finding that form prior to his woman beating his ass.

Keep him and hope his relationship with his teammates keeps him here in a potential dynasty.

everyday eddie and Tomstro like this.
  5. Senator

Senator Member

Luhnow knows how much $ is going to be allocated to pitching and what Crane can take on. I don't see Correa's value being at a low, teams love they can have 2 cheap years of someone with franchise potential. Do you believe the Stros can retain Correa at a Bryce Harper cost ? ? You are far more interested in the "symbolism" of a high potential pick as opposed to the reality of it. Its an offseason trade, not a midseason one, so you could also get Bauer to sign an extension and include him in a deal like Curt Schilling.

6. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Fans are just frustrated, as they should be. We all want to see Correa at his best. The Astros are lucky to still be in the position to win even though he is injured

They don’t need another pitcher, but why not maximize the teams chances at another World Series with another bad ass pitcher? (If it doesn’t cost core players)

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you’d be ok losing Springer for nothing... but you’d forgo two more years of Carlos Correa for a Bauer-like pitcher (or one that’s likely got less prime years vs more prime years).

I just don’t see that deal happening. Luhnow knows the best version of this team has Correa at SS, and he will explore the other avenues to get great pitching (as he’s proven to accomplish on a yearly basis).

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Alex Rodriguez advising Correa? He gone.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Off to the Yankees..

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would sign Cole and trade Correa for prospects.

plates300 likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess you're trading Springer as well... he's a free agent before Correa.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Carlos does need some additional marketing representation. He should have blown up by now, much larger than Alex ever was, but why not go with someone bigger and with more experience. It doesn't make much sense. He's bigger than baseball from a marketing perspective if you ask me, so all the baseball experience doesn't matter much to me, but an agency with bigger clients makes more sense. A move in the right direction tho'.

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

They can't afford Cole. He's likely to be the strikeout leader in the AL, in addition to the SO/9 title he had last year, and he's likely neck and neck with JV for the Cy Young. He is going to get stupid money, probably from the Angels, and the Astros probably won't match. Nor should they.

Trade Correa to the Mets for Thor and prospects. Equal amounts of team control, Brent Strom can likely greatly improve Thor's approach and mechanics, and most importantly, Thor might actually be there when they need him.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they're not going to re-sign Correa, and if they can't reach an extension with Springer, you do have money for Cole.

If you're not going to re-sign Cole, and you can't reach an extension for Springer, you do have money for Correa.

If you're not going to re-sign Cole, and you're going to trade Correa, and then Springer still decides to go to Boston... what then?

If you do extend Springer, you let Cole go, and then you still have 2 years to decide whether Correa is an injury-prone past-phenom that won't break the bank, or he's god's gift to SS and gets the keys to any team's castle. (**Most likely scenario)

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You got Whitley and McCullers ... I love Cole but hes gonna get paid by either the Angel's or Giants. Hes as good as gone.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You could have also said... "Luhnow traded for Cole when he was thought of as a talented but flawed pitcher that his team didn't think was worth the arbitration raise... he can target another one of those via trade"

18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Cole turns 29 in a few days. Why wouldn't he get Kershaw money or more when he hits FA? You want the Astros to give Cole 31+ a year? On a current payroll of 168? I don't see it. I think he's gone regardless of what they do with Correa or Springer. Besides, as noted, they can just reload with McCullers and Whitley.

Springer's 29 now, hits 4th year of arbitration next year, then is 31. The Astros then are on the hook so far total payroll for 108. I think they can afford what he'll command (which is what, if he were on the market now? 22-23? Justin Upton cash? Would he get Harper money?). Especially since JV's probably done by then.

I think of Correa's FA wooing period, and I see Carlos Beltran all over again. I'd like to get something good for a very talented player, who only plays 2/3 of the games, gets injured in increasingly bizarre fashion, and is making noises that he wants to be in a larger market.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The bottom line is that there is a logical and sensical order all events will have to go through... you don't need to alter it:

Cole is a FA first
    Then Springer plays last year of arbitration (if they don't reach an extension this off-season, he has to be considered traceable).
    ... and THEN, Correa has 2 more years of club control before you have to decide on a trade or extension.

Anything that happens with moves 1/2 can set off a chain reaction that effects 3.

People wanting to trade Correa now, at this moment, when he's at a lower value, are just angry he's injured.

20. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

What lower value? He's an obscenely talented player, whose big attraction besides said talent are the two remaining years of team control. Which are a wasting asset. When would you like to move him instead, if you were to move him at all? I am not sure the improvement in teams' perception of his availability and skill, which naturally would increase his trade value, outweighs the negatives of losing that team control time.

I see the merits of trying to showcase him for a few months next year, see if he can hit like he was before this last injury. OTOH, they run risk of him getting injured yet again when they do that. I think a return of Thor or similar SP with team control, and a minor prospect or two, is fair return for Correa now. You mention maximizing his value. What do you expect he'd bring back in addition with such maximized value?

I agree that I am frustrated with the constant injuries, and would rather they be another team's problem.

msn and Wulaw Horn like this.