1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Correa for a young pitcher with team control

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Jul 18, 2019.

?

Poll

1. Yes

30.1%
  2. No

69.9%
  1. Aspiring Player

This is the worst idea in the history of baseball. Correa is not who you trade.

I'd trade OP instead.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Springer has been held back financially by the Astros on a couple of occasions and I wouldn't be surprised if he has somewhat of a grudge against the front office. They left him down in the minors when he was mashing because the Astros were terrible and didn't want to waste his service time. Then he signed that 2 year arbitration extension which was another win for the Astros and saved them a few million.

From the Astros perspective, there has not been a reason to extend Springer long term before this offseason. He's not going to be a free agent until he is 31 plus they can slap the QUALIFYING OFFER on him. That hurts his ability to get a big long term contract. He will be looking at 4-5 years deals and as he gets older teams will look at him as more of a RF which will depress his value a little bit.

As far as trading Correa.... my opinion will depend on what happens at the deadline. If Luhnow is unable to obtain a top level starter with multiple years of control, trading Correa could make sense in the offseason. He' missed around 25% of the games in his full MLB seasons. He's going to be getting more expensive, and his trade value will probably be its highest in the offseason provided he comes back healthy and has a strong end of the year and playoffs. None of our top pitching prospects have contributed thus far. Whitley appears to be a headcase, Martin blew out his elbow, James has not performed like we had hoped and now might be injured, JBB has struggled until recently, and same with Abreu. We have 2 shortstops on this roster besides Correa in Bregman and Diaz plus infielders like Rojas and Torro coming up. No, it's not ideal, but our rotation looks terrible for next season, and if Correa can get us the ace back that we will be losing in Cole it might need to be considered.

#82 Redfish81, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

????? Losing credibility with this one...

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Try some reading comprehension...I was talking about Springer.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, and I was talking about the "franchise tag"... I presume you're referring to the qualifying offer, but they have extremely different meanings for their respective sports.

If a player is tagged (in the NFl), the team keeps them regardless. Not so with the QO in baseball... the Astros do stand to lose Springer for nothing faster than they stand to lose Correa for nothing.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yup.. because i said franchise tag instead of QO everything else I said is wrong.

K thanks

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not sure what bearing the franchise tag or the qualifying offer, or whatever you want to call it... has on the chances the Astros get to keep him.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also, in regards to "have to trade Correa to get pitching" argument... the last three years, the Astros have acquired Verlander, Cole, Miley, and will likely get another above average starter at this year's deadline... without having to deal an all-star/everyday player.

They're more likely to get elite prospects (that guarantee nothing) in a Correa deal vs. a mythical young pitcher with club control and ace potential (because what team would actually trade that??).

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CC is 24 years old, and you want to deal him "for a young pitcher under team control".....While Carlos has been injured, don't lose sight of the fact that he's a franchise player..a five tool player at the rarest of positions for that. The guy will start to hit for more power soon...He's just now going to be hitting his prime in the next few years...We have the ability to make moves for stud pitchers...and have...But, guys like him are the rarest of fruit....and you do not deal them as they're just about to ripen/ live up to their full potential. He's spent time that others spend in the minors up in the show. Get a little patience/perspective...You're wanting to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Moving him is ridiculous...and, selling low, is.....crazy.

#89 Plowman, Jul 21, 2019
    Hey Now! likes this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Then use the prospects you get from Correa to acquire the starter.

As I said, it really depends what happens at the deadline and also during the offseason. There is no question that starting pitching and the bullpen has to be addressed in the offseason with Cole and Miley being free agents along with Harris, McHugh, Rondon, and Smith. There is also no question that the extensions to Verlander, Pressly, Bregman, Altuve and the arbitration raises to Springer, Correa, Marisnick, Osuna, etc. push the Astros payroll, for luxury tax calcualtions, to pretty much right where it is now BEFORE we sign anyone or resign any of our own free agents. Crane said in an interview at the winter meetings they would not go into the luxury tax. Unless that changes for 2020, the Astros have to shed payroll to fill holes in the rotation, bullpen, and at catcher.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The point is that they’ve been able to get pitching without having to give up either all-star players or super elite prospects.

You’re going to get .50 on the dollar for Correa no matter what at this point. He’s far more valuable over the next two years as their everyday SS. Sure, he has to play for that to work out... but other teams ain’t giving up much if he can’t stay healthy anyways. (Just see how low the market was for Brantley).

#91 Nick, Jul 21, 2019
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Right.. which is why I said it depends on what happens at the deadline and in the offseason. If they land Greinke (or someone else) at the deadline or in the offseason none of this matters, but if the choice comes down to not being able to replace Cole and/or Miley without giving up Correa... I give him up

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

As an aside, the market had a healthy swing and miss on Brantley. Brantley signed a 2 WAR/year deal and has already put up 3.3 WAR in 2/3 of a season.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You'd have to name an example of a contending team trading away an elite/young player (when healthy)... for dominant pitching.

Its just not a type of trade that happens very much, nor does it make much sense for both trade parties.

And, like I said... if the Astros can't get an extension this off-season with Springer... there's a much better chance he gets traded for something while his value is highest, going into his free agency year.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, nothing devalues a player more than the dreaded "can't stay healthy" tag.

Should be worth noting since his off-day Friday, he's gone 6-7 with 3 HR's. Altuve also looked great after his off-day. Lets see what Springer does tomorrow.

No Worries likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Amidst all this Correa talk in this thread and the Alvarez thread, I went back and looked at the 2012 draft thread. The board was overwhelmingly in favor of the pick. But, I found this post by @SportsWorld better than the SI cover:

2012 Astros Draft Picks: Correa 1st overall

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

This is the most recent one I remember...

Jon Lester for Johnny Gomes and Yoenis Cespedes in 2014

Lester was 30 and the ace
    Cespedes was in his 3rd year and an all star at the time.

18. Senator

Senator Member

Are you his cousin or something? Your posts regarding him are way over the top and clearly exaggerating ..

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Cespedes was 28, wasn't part of the normal arbitration process, and was on a 4 year deal when the A's signed him. Lester was in a free agent year and Oakland used him as a rental.

In Oakland's case... they got out of paying him $11 million dollars, and got an ace for the stretch run (but didn't make the playoffs).

Its just really hard to get back close to equal value for a player who's 24, has 2 years left of pre-FA time, plays a position of such extreme value, has a track record of playoff success, and is unlikely to have hit his true prime. On the flip-side, teams that have stud pitching don't give it away unless its soon to be a free agent year, or a team is just flat-out cheap (and then, it doesn't cost Correa to procure that pitcher).

The other alternative is that its an inconsistent/mixed-bag pitcher with talent (sort of like Cole)... who becomes available simply due to the developing team looking to move on... and then it also doesn't cost a Correa-like talent.

20. Senator

Senator Member

Maybe you read into the sports radio or the internet too much .. but most people favor Springer over Correa because of contract size. Springer will not be young enough to garner the huge $$ Correa will be getting, and the Astros are not a franchise that can have an unlimited number of contracts. I would not even be considering this if the team was based in NY or Boston.

Cole is more valuable to the team than Carlos Correa, given how important SP's are in the playoffs and the amount of batting the stros have. But what if he gets a $180 million offer this summer? You really think Luhnow will match? So why hold out for Correa getting a huge Bryce Harper offer (and Harper will majorly underperform as expected despite "potential") and lose a chance at getting some real great pitcher/s on the team.

HTown2017Champs likes this.