1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto, San Antonio talking Kawhi-DeRozan Swap (UPDATE: Done deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Masai Ujiri:

(Opening remarks)
    Another big day for the Raptors. Want to not only apologize to DeMar DeRozan for maybe a gap of miscommunication but also to acknowledge him & what he's done here with the Raptors, for this city, for this country. There's no measure to what this kid has done. We appreciate him. I promise you we're going to celebrate him in the best possible way we can as long as I'm here.

It's one of the tough things in this business. We want to win. I have to do everything in this organization to get us to a championship level but there is also the human side to this business. That's the part I really struggle with the most. That's the most difficult. There is excitement but there's also...I'm a loyal person. You build relationships in this business over the years. The human part doesn't make it easy at all.

I understand sports. Sports is about winning. I have a mandate to win. That's what I want to do: to win, to win a championship for the Raptors. I do acknowledge there is no measurement for what DeMar has done for this organization. Also Jakob Poeltl. There's a closeness to the kids you draft. Those guys will be missed. I do acknowledge everything they have done here.

That said, it's on to another chapter. We're excited to welcome Kawhi Leonard & Danny Green. On paper, we feel we have a team that can compete in the East and hopefully for a championship. That's why we play: to win & compete for a championship. We're excited bringing a top 5 player into the fold.

DeMar has done so much for this organization. When you're in my position, you have to be open in what you can do. Both of us had a conversation. We know what that conversation was. Maybe I should have handled it better. That's what I'm apologizing for.

Can't continue to do the same thing over & over again. When you have a chance for a top 5 player, which doesn't come often, you have to jump on it. We've given a chance to this team, we tried to build it as much as we can but this opportunity came in front of us, we had to jump on it.

Any assurances from Kawhi that he's anxious to play here? Feel he has to rehab his reputation? Long term opportunity?

That's my job. I've had conversations with Kawhi & his agent/uncle. Everything has gone well. I look forward to meeting them face to face. That's our responsibility: figure it out & make them as comfortable as possible. ... I'm confident. We have a good game plan. We'll see how that goes.

Has Kawhi passed his physical?

I know he'll be doing a physical in the next couple of days. He'll be here shortly.

What are you trying to sell to Kawhi?

There's a lot to sell here: our team, our culture, our city, our ownership. We have everything here except a championship in my humble opinion. We don't lack anything in this city. We have great fans, a great organization, a great following, a great country. There is something about this place that reaches out to the whole world. We're proud of that & will continue to sell that. Hopefully that's an appeal not only to him but other NBA players.

Did you tell DeMar he would not be traded?

I had a conversation at Summer League with DeMar. I really want to leave it at that. We spoke. Maybe my mistake was talking about what we expected going forward from him. Not necessarily talking about a trade but what I expected going forward. I think that's where the gap was. I always have to assume we're going forward with the team we have. If there was a miscommunication there, I apologize. That's not what I meant. Opportunities come & go and we have to react. I had to react with this deal on the table.

Fans ask why trade our most loyal player for a player who has expressed a lack of interest in Canada & will be a free agent?

He did not express lack of interest in playing in Canada to me. ... I understand with DeMar, he was unbelievably loyal to us. The human part of this business is, to me, what it's all about. He has no faults. Our team is just not at that level. If we look at ourselves honestly, everyone knows that, we know that. We have to do something different, even if it wasn't this. I haven't gotten that sense from Kawhi or his people.

Statue of Raptors legends(Vince, DeMar)?

I'll do anything in my power. DeMar is the greatest player to play for Toronto. Everybody knows that. I can guarantee you he will be respected & acknowledged for that in the biggest way we possibly can do it as long as I'm here.

Tough moving on from Dwane & DeMar?

It's not about me. It's about them. The human part is what I'm about. The other part, it's tough for me. You build relationships. I'm not here to cry or want anyone's pity. I still have my job, still standing here but with Dwane & DeMar, I know what we have gone through. I know who they are as human beings. End of the day, you want to win & win a championship. I hate to be defensive but when I came here, I gave them a chance. I could have done anything I wanted. I could have let the coach go & traded players. We kept giving it chances. At some point, we have to do something different. I'm happy we did something different. DeMar is going to an unbelievable organization. We gave Casey a chance. He's gone to a great organization. I hope they rode out on a high horse with great pride with what they've done here. I feel proud of what they did. I got back from Africa 2 hours ago. I haven't slept. That's the nature of the job. I keep thinking about this. Risk is what puts people above. I'm willing to take risks. My team is willing to take risks. ...

Kawhi resistant to coming to Toronto?

Only talked to him a couple of times. I didn't get a sense of any negativity or anything different from just wanting to know me/us better & looking forward to meeting face to face. I'm an open person & up for the challenge. It is a challenge. I want to lift this team, this organization, this city & this country. Hopefully he can see who we are and move on to basketball from there.

Without medical info, how confident he'll get back to 100%?

Without all this medical drama, we have no chance of talking to a player like that. Zero. No chance. He'd be in San Antonio. This is why we have a chance & this is the risk we're taking.

What do you expect of a Raptors team led by Nick Nurse & Kawhi? What else might you want to do this summer?

We're confident with this team. It's continuous work. We're happy with this team. If any other moves or deals come our way that make sense, we have to look at that.

Heard from Kyle Lowry?

I haven't talked to Kyle. I'm sure this is hard on him. I completely understand. I know this is tough for him. One of his best friends in the world, they did everything together. I hope to talk to him soon.

[...]

Did DeMar ask about being traded?

After every season, I meet with all the agents of the players. I did meet with his representation. To me, it's to lay out all the options. When I met with him at Summer League, maybe my mistake was saying nothing was imminent at the time. At the time, we were 4th on the ranks of trying to get anything done. That's the message I delivered.

When you plan trades of this level, do you take into account fan satisfaction or possible disappointment?

Fans are always on my mind. They don't know the inner workings or have the information we have. Reality is if we didn't do anything, everyone would be pounding on we didn't do anything, it's the same team, what difference does it make, we'll get beat again in the playoffs. That'd be the narrative. Fans have been spectacular for us but I have to do my job & what's best for the Raptors. We feel this was a risk or a deal that we're willing to make & take.

What makes you think Kawhi is the guy who will fit into this culture. What kind of kid is he?

From the outside, anxious to know him more. He's a no nonsense basketball player, plays on both sides & produces. Championship player. Quiet demeanor. All of us are built & communicate differently. Getting to know him more is what we're going to do. As a basketball player, if everything checks out, has proven the caliber of player he is and has proven it with a championship.

#581 J.R., Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    RocketFan, Sajan, Zboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

Kawhi knows he’ll have to face the media eventually right?

You can’t hide forever.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi and Deuce like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  5. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

great trade for toronto, getting a super star by trading a star is ungrade, not sure why spurs throw in Danny green as well, but hey spurs are trying to rebuild i guess

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If Demar didnt want this then he should have stopped being a choker in the playoffs.

The guy disappeared for Toronto when it mattered.

And then all this drama just adds to his soft reputation.

Accept it and move on. Its not like he going to a losing franchise.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Toronto desire to shed salary = dump Ibaka.

sew likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Oh ****! Kawhi still exists and actually smiles! ;)

Deuce, Vivi and Chamillionaire like this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

The actual original photo, pre-edit:

[​IMG]

Reeko, slothy420, malakas and 4 others like this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is actually Kawhi's "o-face."

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he looks old now

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

for those wondering why Demar is upset or questioning if he is being a "dramatic"
    not to mention he took a discount to stay with the team.

MONON, Amiga, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

I completely feel for Demar.
    I would imagine any of us would feel the same getting shipped off to another city out of the blue by your employer.

At the same time, look at what transpired this mess. Who was in control of that situation? your fellow athlete. Had he played for his team without complaining and creating drama, maybe this wouldn't have happened. It goes both ways. Athletes can't expect to be treated like humans when at the same time they have shown it's not just about that. It's about money and winning.

The same fans that's feeling sorry for demar would crucify him if toronto would have had lost in the first round again. Hell..they prematurely fired Casey.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Deuce likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Major

Major Member

So DeRozen can't expect to be treated like a human because some other guy that he likely doesn't know and certainly doesn't control acted like a jackass? Are all athletes one entity? Do they dictate what each other can do?

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Where is the players loyalty when they pout and demand a trade while on multi million dollar contracts? They act like they been volunteering

Irving, Melo, CP3, Dwight, Olajuwon..

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I never got the silence is pouting thing.

Just let them process without feeling rushed or faked.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Celtics Reportedly Offered Several Of Their Best Draft Assets To Spurs For Kawhi Leonard

The Boston Celtics appeared to be on the periphery of the Kawhi Leonard trade talks as they didn't have the type of package the San Antonio Spurs were looking for.

While Boston wasn't prepared to offer any of their top-5 players, they were willing to part with some of their future draft picks from other teams.

"Rebuilding was just not going to be an option there," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "They want to remain 'relevant', I think is the word that has been used. They want to remain in the playoff race. They just weren't going to consider offers that were heavy on draft picks and young players.

"And by the way, as all the reporting from this sort of trickled in, I think the Celtics offered most of their best draft picks. I don't think the Celtics just offered (and said) 'You could have a bunch of our picks.' I think some of the picks they're owed, at least two of the picks, if not all of them that they own from other teams, including the Kings, Grizzlies and Clippers. I think those were all in the deal.

"And the Spurs were like 'Nah, we don't want that.'"

The Spurs traded Leonard to the Toronto Raptors for a package centered on DeMar DeRozan.

Vivi likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good luck Spurs, being the 5th-9th seed.