1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 players in the league entering the 2009/2010 season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Jul 24, 2009.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...thought I would ask this because it seems like there is a changing of the guard over the last couple of years from the older to younger players and I'm not sure there is much of a consensus top 5 anymore. MVP voting is pretty ridiculous so can't really measure by that. What do you guys think? Rank your top 5 players in the league entering the 2009/2010 season

I think mine would look something like this:
    1. Lebron James
    2. Dwayne Wade
    3. Kobe Bryant
    4. Chris Paul
    5. Kevin Durant

Lebron at the one and...I know I know - Kobe as the #3 guy. Look, the guy has some serious miles on his legs from all those deep post season runs, olympics, etc...but I really noticed that he started to slow down a little bit late last year(maybe tired legs). He's still a favorite to win the title and still probably finishes in the top 2 of MVP voting but I'm telling you, Kobe is entering the "more of a jumpshooter" phase of his career starting this year. He's still skilled and a deadly shooter, but have you seen Wade recently? He's all over the place offensively and defensively. I'm putting Wade at the #2 inching Kobe out by the slightest of margins.

Chris Paul is amazing - one of those guys who's game doesn't translate to the stat line. He just breaks teams down single handedly. He would average a lot more points and assists if he played with a team like the Lakers. Finally, I put in Durant. The kid's quietly turned into the game's best young player. He reminds me a bit of a younger Tmac but with more desire and competitiveness which is scary. I think we get at least one if not several 50 pt games from KD this year. If anyone is going to topple Lebron in the future as the best - it will be Durant.

2. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Durant doesn't deserve a top 5 spot, scoring bundles of points on a losing team doesn't mean he is top 5 talent. I'd probably give the 5th spot to Howard.

3. sbyang

sbyang Member

#1 James
    #2 Paul
    #3 Bryant
    #4 Wade
    #5 Duncan

There's a gap between James and everyone else, You can put #2-4 in any order and I would't argue.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

1. James

2.) Wade
    3.) Kobe
    4.) Paul
    5.) Dwight

5. kevolution

kevolution Member

pretty much what everyone else said

6. sbyang

sbyang Member

I don't think Howard is a top 5 player, yet. His performance varies too much depending on who he plays. When he goes against Cleveland he looked like the 2nd best player in the NBA, when he went against Boston or Philly or LA he did not have that much of an impact. He's got to dominate against everyone to be a top 5 guy.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, I like your list a lot. I also believe KD will push his way into the top 5 next season. He's been working hard all summer lifting weights and honing his skills.

But don't forget Roy Wonder.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm going to take it you don't watch Durant too much. He doesn't put up a bunch of meaningless points because he is shooting the ball more than anyone else on his team. He puts up points AND he shoots at an efficient rate for a jump shooter. He is just stuck on a team that was completely gutted the year he came into the league and now he plays with a bunch of very young players. He already scores, rebounds, steals, and blocks at a good rate for a guy of his position and I think his assist numbers would be a lot higher too if he had some vets around him.

...as someone else mentioned - Howard has to be able to dominate night in and night out to make that list and he doesn't do that right now...not to mention Howard has a very one dimensional game. Honestly I have been disappointed by how unpolished Howard still looks offensively given how many years he has played. He dunks and that's about it. Shaq was like that at a similar age with limited offensive skills, but at least Shaq could still dominate. Howard is a matchup dominator only.

9. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

so its his fault that his team sucks

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

1) Lebron James
    2) Kobe Bryant
    3) Dwyane Wade
    4) Chris Paul
    5) Dwight Howard

But to make it more interesting (because the top 5 are pretty set), I'll add the next five:

6) Tim Duncan
    7) Dirk Nowitzki
    8) Brandon Roy
    9) Carmelo Anthony
    10) Kevin Durant

Honourable Mention (next 10 in no order): Al Jefferson, Steve Nash, Danny Granger, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Chauncey Billups, Deron Williams, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Devin Harris

Depends on health (more than others): Gilbert Arenas, Monta Ellis, T-Mac, Yao

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'll just go with who I think the top 5 players would have been at the end of last year, assuming health:

1. LeBron
    2. Kobe
    3. Wade
    4. Paul
    5. Duncan

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Maybe KD does afterall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=4352887

13. Aggiester

Aggiester Member

What!!!???Where's T-Mac?lol

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And Yao! :eek: haha very funny.

1. LeBron James
    2. Dwayne Wade
    3. Chris Paul
    4. Kobe Bryant
    5. Chris Bosh

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

My opinion:

1) Kobe Bryant- While LBJ/Wade may put up better stats, Kobe has the most rings. And winning speaks volumes.

2) LeBron James- Most skilled player in the game.

3) Dwyane Wade- A proven leader. Very good all-around player. Beastly stats.

4) Chris Paul- Best PG in the game. Would be top 3, but KB24/LBJ/DWade are too good.

5) Carmelo Anthony- Given how much his defense has improved to complement his already beastly offensive game, he deserves consideration amongst the top.

16. postaboi713

postaboi713 Member

:rolleyes: .... lmao yea right...

17. TheMacster

TheMacster Member

1. LeBron
    2. Kobe
    3. D Wade
    4. C. Paul
    5. D. Howard

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Dwayne Wade
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. Lebron James
    4. Chris Paul
    5. Kevin Garnett

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Top four is pretty easy:

Lebron
    Wade
    Kobe
    Paul

The fifth spot is harder to say.

Howard, Dirk, Durant, Roy, Duncan all in the running imo.

20. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

1.Lebron
    2.scola
    3.Brooks
    4.wade
    5.Bryant.

call me a homer. :cool: