1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TO ALL D&D MEMBERS: Time to Tone It Down

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Jeff, Jan 11, 2011.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't read the National Enquirer because I know it's all BS. It has nothing todo with an inability to handle opinions. It's a battle between alternative facts and reality. Republicans have worked hard for decades to cultivate an alternate reality. Now they have an alternate reality President.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I listen to the right wing side, partly to get their perspective (sometimes I do actually agree) but mainly out of curiosity.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's exactly what I think too, except that I'm all for ignoring people who are either only interested in trolling or the absolute worst of the worst like Lou. Anyone who even occasionally has a halfway sane opinion should not be ignored because you really need to hear as many sides of a given issue as possible in order to challenge your own opinions.

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, I don't mind the trolls or the worst of the worst. Who's the worst conservative poster? I can't think of anyone. Even that Rockets Legend guy. It's not like there was absolutely zero reason to vote for Trump. Several of my clients and colleagues voted for Trump based solely on his promise to improve certain aspects of doing business (some are in heavily regulated industries), so I have to respect them for that.

I think even they are tiring of Trump. But you can very easily say, "I will take all the buffoonish behavior of Trump if his policies favor my business b/c that is my lifeblood." Perfectly understandable, whether I agree or not.

But the Right has to understand that if you're a gay couple in America, you have every right to be concerned if Mike Pence is the next President. Think about it:

1. You're born gay - it's not a choice- I didn't choose to be hetero, and my friend "Tom" didn't choose to be gay.

2. If you're gay, you pretty much have to hide it in more instances than you think.

3. Whether you're gay or straight, your relationship with your significant other is THE most important thing in your life.

4. Getting married gives each partner way more rights, tax breaks, etc. than a civil union.

So, you have every reason to be concerned about people who oppose gay marriage. Especially when they selectively use the Bible to justify their actions (and conveniently forget that adulterers were put in the same category).- and yes,, I've been Catholic since birth- even went to Catholic school for 8 years- and I still go to church- so I have every right to criticize those who cherry-pick it.

No Ignores! Great!

Deckard likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would argue that the worst of the worst that claimed to be a conservative was recently banned and that's Dei and there's been those that claim to be conservatives that I have on ignore like Honey Bear. I just don't tolerate the absolute worst of the worst. Even with Lou it was years of his nonsense before he got put there and it was due to trolling, not his awful opinions that landed him there.

I could understand that opinion about Trump even if I don't share it. I accept that he won, but every press conference is just awful. He seems to know nothing at all and that's a bit concerning.

I would completely agree with that and that's the reason why I'm not and couldn't be a Republican. If you can't see that gay people have the same rights to marry as straight people.....well that's just too backwards for me. If you think the bible is relevant when it comes to law.....well that's just too backwards for me. In a perfect world, the Republicans would move on from that nonsense and re-make themselves as more of a true conservative party....a Libertarian party. The same people who want to protect gun rights from the federal government who is always trying to strip the people of their rights shouldn't be the same people standing in the way of allowing gay people to marry. If you want your rights protected, you should want everyone's right's protected. Either you are on the side of the people, or on the side of the federal government. Both Republicans and Democrats ride the fence when it comes to that.

da_juice likes this.
  6. dandorotik

I guess the thing is I have a lot of friends who are gay, from the Middle East, and black. That doesn't mean I'm not racist in and of itself. But since I talk a lot, I get to know them, I get to see their side, and maybe that makes me more empathetic to what they sometimes go through.

Back in the day, I ran this little Mr. Gattis' delivery-only store- it was on I-45 between FM 1960 and Holdsworth / Cypresswood (north Houston for you non-Houstonians), I want to say it was around 1986? Anyway, most of the time, it was me and Ralph- on the weekends, we had 3 drivers, but during the week, it was just one. Ralph is a black man who worked there for most of the year, like me (they closed after 1 year due to slow sales). Anyway, one time, Ralph comes back from a delivery and says, "Dan, you're not going to believe this!" or something like that. We go outside, and he shows me that the KKK are standing on the side of the freeway holding up signs- like 4 or 5 of them. So, we're incredulous- and I'm saying, "So, what do we do? Beat their ass?" Ralph said something like, no, we should bring them free pizza and I'll personally deliver it. So, we did- well, he did- and they at first thought he was going to pick a fight. But no, he just brought them pizza, smiled and drove back to the store.

I told him he was ****ing nuts, and he said, 'nah, kill em with love man, kill em with love" or something like that. But I remember sitting in the parking lot talking to him for, like, hours that day- asking about growing up in Mississippi (he was from near Jackson), did he deal with racism, etc. Eye-opening ****, for sure. Things that you wouldn't believe, and things that you would. Even through his adulthood.

So, I guess that always stuck with me. Maybe I should look at the negative side of Black Lives Matter, that it's not necessary, that it's not like it used to be. And that may be the case. But then, you think, how many other Ralphs are out there who get crapped on for a darker skin pigmentation. Maybe that's why I try to not rush to judgment while understanding that, yes, at times the race card is played. But other times, it's a real part of their life I'll never really get.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, how times have changed.

RocketsLegend likes this.
  8. dandorotik

How? Everything I said still stands. I still don't have anyone on Ignore. I don't dislike anyone, not BigTexxx or anyone else. I argue points, and then I move on.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You argue points and move on? Liar.

You had what I consider to be the most shameful, and frankly embarrassing (for you) post I've ever read on this forum. You wished that I would be physically hurt, and that you would chuckle about it and pop champagne. Low class, even for Lubbock.

10. dandorotik

BigTexxx, your outrage is duly noted. I did not realize you were this emotionally vulnerable. In the future, I will refrain from hurting your sensitive feelings. Here's a suggestion, though: reserve your emotional devastation for things that actually happen.

I had no idea that locker room talk would affect you this severely. I will tiptoe around your feelings now, for sure. Thank you for making me aware.

BTW, I haven't lived in Lubbock for over a year, as I've stated multiple times over the past 12 months. Yeah.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Guys... We can act better. Let's not stoop to the level of our president when it comes to discourse.

Deckard, pahiyas, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol triggered. Save face man.

13. bigtexxx

Nice try on the pile on technique to try to help out your liberal pal. Dandorotik was triggered after my very calm post. He wanted me to get physically injured.

14. dandorotik

LosPollosHermanos, I will speak directly to you because Mr. Texxx is incapable of thinking clearly. I made an obviously satirical post to Mr. Texxx in the spirit of Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal. This clearly flustered him as he resorted not only to expressing his shock at such a suggestion (remember, he had just shrugged an actual act of violence that was reported by a Fox News reporter and which had an audio recording to back it up), but he took to this section to continue to express his hurt feelings.

This is a poster who has made a career out of insulting individuals. 90% of his posts contain zero substance- they are a variation of "LOL at Liberals!" Yet, he faux-ridicules others for posting with zero substance. He's such a parody that it's a waste even posting any of this.

He will continue to bring this up, and I will continue to offer him a safe space within which he can calm himself and control his emotional vulnerability. I am done with this for now- but do expect he will continue to be outraged at these comments while blowing off actual incidents of violence.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. bigtexxx

dandortotik - bless your heart. You're trying so hard to recover, but we all see what you did. Even liberals were asking you to edit your shameful post. I guess you can take the boy out of Lubbock, but not the Lubbock out of the boy. "Low class Lubbock" shall be your name moving forward.

16. dandorotik

What did I tell you, Los Pollos Hermanos? Completed predictable and expected. Not to mention incorrect as I have lived in Lubbock a very short period of time compared to NY and Houston. And insulting to the great people of Lubbock, as well- for which I will not respond.

I believe I found his vulnerable spot. He tries to be tough, but he's very weak- which is why he keep responding- he can't get my hurtful words out of his head. I will make sure to tiptoe around his feelings going forward.

(he'll respond again- let's let him get the last word- emotionally scarred people need that).

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's time to tone it down in the "TO ALL D&D MEMBERS: Time to Tone It Down" thread.

18. dandorotik

Hilarious, right? But I couldn't help it- it's like BigTexxx turned liberal- he's more shocked about what I said than what actually happened. Kind of like liberals being more shocked at what Trump says than what Hillary Clinton did. Amazing. That's all I will say.

19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

LosPollosHermanos should be banned asap. Makes zero effort to contribute to a thread. Just insults and leaves. Surprised he hasn't been banned before.

bigtexxx likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah. We know.