1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TNT weighs in on Game 1 officiating

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Apr 30, 2019.

1. TheresTheDagger

Pleasantly surprised to watch all 3 (Kenny, Shaq, Chuck) all agree the officiating was bad. Kenny was the most surprising saying from a shooters standpoint, ALL of the replays were showing fouls that were missed.

2. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Interesting comment from EJ - he talked to Monty McCutchen (Vice President of referee development and training)

elmotsang likes this.
  3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I saw that. I was shocked. The only reluctant one was AH Shaq.

Ramo$e likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The last thing Shaq said is as important as any comment. Once they get away with this a couple of times, the shooter's concentration will remain split the rest of the game between making the shot and landing safely.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Kenny basically said what I said about the 4th foul.

Harden had to be thinking "Okay, they already admitted they got some wrong AT half...I should probably get a makeup call for this."

NOW, I don't think Harden shoots that three with the intention of getting fouled. A guy that has that many 4 point plays doesn't get them by accident. I think he just sold the contact Green gave him and the refs still didn't bite.

Also Kenny saying the same thing about how it affects your mentality the rest of the game...

Any ways, I do appreciate the guys were not split on this at all really.

luckyman76, cbs1507, Voltik and 4 others like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven’t watched the video yet. Use spoilers! ;)

Actually, I didn’t think of that foul quite that way. It makes sense, at least to me. Certainly not impossible.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Macdaddy91

Macdaddy91 Member

Full video of game 1 analysis

Voltik and HoustonTexas like this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is interesting that this is finally gaining traction

tmoney1101, KingCheetah, IBTL and 3 others like this.
  9. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Very surprised of their reactions, but it seems most former players agree with the Rockets side, while our beloved media members who never played a sport in their life all have the same bias opinion

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's just embarrassing. The 3 former NBA players should be ashamed of themselves.

Kenny? He started to talk about the missed calls on the Harden 3’s and Shaquille does his usual nonsensical mumbling and interrupts him. Shaq is useless on that show and brings it down. Chuck did his usual, “Well, the officials did this and that wrong,” and then proceeds to make wish washy excuses, like he always does. “The officials just had a bad day. They were tired.” He can’t have a straight forward opinion. I don’t know what he’s afraid of. Back to Kenny. He’s the worst of the 3. Why? Because he starts out strong, which was unusual for him, but then he says he agrees with Shaq, who hadn’t said anything coherent, and agrees with Chuck, who’s opinion was all over the place.

The 4th guy, Ernie, is fine, but he’s not allowed by Shaq or Chuck to complete a sentence. Lost in it all are the blatant, flagrant fouls on Harden in the 1st half. There were more fouls, but those in the 1st half were irrefutable, and they are barely talked about. It’s embarrassing. I simply don’t see what’s so special about that segment. They may as well have been talking about where they were going for dinner after the show. It would have been just as useful, in my opinion.

11. bmelo

bmelo Member

Ok if TNT is now all agreeing there's no chance Harden won't get benefit of the doubt rest of the series

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That does absolutely nothing for the 1st game being stolen by the refs! The damage has already taken place. All these talk shows that are pointing out the OBVIOUS fouls on Harden only make me more upset!! The refs (Silver) robbed us last year and are doing the same song/dance this year!

THE NBA IS RIGGED!!

13. bmelo

bmelo Member

I mean it still was away game. We can win one there, potentialy drop one home and we will see g7

BamBam and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Our defense was so stellar . I think we can win 4 games . We just need to be better on offense .

Y2JT, BamBam and hakeem94 like this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It took khawi leonard to be injured and rockets to have it taken in game 7 and now game 1. Even then ask 2002 kings how they feel.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

my god we are so much better than worries... without the refs it would be a clean sweep

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We really outplayed them .

James in particular on D was great

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

If we win one there before Game 7, there will be no Game 7, barring another referee-rigged game. Our crowd is going to be unreal. We’re not going to let them win a game here.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The difference is the 2002 Kings were screwed in Game 6......but they still blew that series. Come up with the defensive rebound at the end of Game 4 and you're up 3-1. Don't go 16-30 from the foul line in Game 7 and you win in regulation instead of losing in OT.

The Rockets were flat out screwed in Game 7 last year in the WCF by the non-calls and waived off 4-point play and never had a chance in a subsequent game to overcome that. That was it for them. At least the Kings had Game 7 at home which they lost fair and square. Hell, our subsequent game WAS Game 1 and we got screwed in that one too!

Anyway, it's good that even the Inside the NBA crew which hasn't exactly shown a lot of love for the Rockets is acknowledging how badly Game 1 was officiated. I disagree with Chuck that it was simply due to a "bad day" for the refs. They admitted to D'Antoni at the half that they missed 4 foul calls and proceeded to miss even more in the second half. That's either an incompetent group of officials or a corrupt one. We'll see how Game 2 goes down, but the league has to know they cannot afford another close loss by the Rockets with bad calls or non-calls being a factor.

CCity Zero and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You have high hopes for our crowds .

I share your hope , but not your expectations

BallSoHarden likes this.