1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tipping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 28, 2019.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That we can have four pages of subjective debate on this topic shows how stupid the concept of tipping is.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

More restaurants like the Spot in Galveston. Counter service at the restaurant, bar staff at the other parts.

3. Buck Turgidson

Being a nice person and a good patron leads to good service. In my experience at least.

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not if you're a sh*tty tipper.

5. Buck Turgidson

I get service before I tip, not sure how you do it. And I'm not talking about "I'm a regular at many bars and frequently dine with Mexican industrialists" stuff, I'm just talking about dining out or grabbing a drink here and there.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not sure you understood the post you originally responded to.

Were you ever in the service industry? I'm guessing no...

7. Buck Turgidson

Sure was, and not just as a sideliner.

My point was, if you have a good attitude and treat your server/bartender as you should, you will get good service. I can maybe count on 1 hand how many times I've been treated poorly.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Methinks you don't go out as often as I do. I've known establishments that had bad service, much less he servers. Point is when you treat folks well at places you like to dine, you tend to get comps/perks, etc. Tipping plays into that.

My biggest issue is it is a solution seeking a problem. Only sh*tty tippers have a problem with tipping. Servers don't have an issue, or they'd leave the job. And, sorry. I don't thing a McDonalds kid should make the same as a mixologist at Anvil...

9. Buck Turgidson

Methinks you're wrong yet again.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Then you should know better.

11. Buck Turgidson

Ok then. You keep being you, and I'll do the same. I'm sorry that you have problems that I do not encounter. Wonder why?

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm guessing because I don't frequent BW3, Hooters and Twin Peaks?

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

If any bartender is giving you comps/perks because you tip them well they should likely be fired for stealing from the restaurant. Have you worked in the industry?

14. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...sick burn? There is a Chili's up here, but I've only been there to drink beers because they have a b****in' deck overlooking the lake.

And aren't you the same guy who was doing reviews of fast food? If you're going to be terribly opinionated you really shouldn't have thin skin.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

I did FF reviews because I was writing for something national. I've also done local reviews.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My $3 tip is for breathing and existing that's it.

[​IMG]

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Even my son didn't care for this show.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...YGwCe1ziqqWWO_XjtEdZjpFT4Fse2CZ40DrE-VnDW8Ni8

Poor service? You still have to tip 20 percent, no matter what.

Tipping is not about you.

When eating out at a restaurant, many diners believe that they should tip on a sliding scale based on the service they receive — good or bad.

In keeping score, the scale may go something like this: Having to constantly ask for the water glass to be refilled? A deduction of one percentage point. Receiving the appetizer after the entree with no apologies? Three percentage points off the tip.

Can I be honest and convict myself?

I was on the side of the sliding-scale crowd. I tip, always. However, I hate the tipping system in America because it’s not about rewarding someone for superior service. It’s about guilt-tripping patrons to pay up.

How much to tip when the service is bad
    Employers — either to increase their profit margins or out of concern they will lose business because of higher prices — force customers to supplement their employees’ wages with tips.
    AD
    But the price of my meal should include what it takes for the company to make a fair profit and pay its workers a living wage.

I’d rather pay more for my meal than deal with the discomfort of having to decide how much to tip based on my opinion of a job well done — or not.

When people do not tip appropriately, they can be skewered publicly, which is what happened recently when a New Jersey lawmaker went on Twitter to humiliate a customer who left a 74-cent tip on a $119.26 tab. In his defense, the customer said the service was awful.

I discussed this in a previous column, which garnered so much response that I asked Washington Post food reporter and columnist Tim Carman what he thought about gauging gratuity based on the service you receive.

Q: How should diners tip when they get poor service for whatever reason?

AD
    Carman: I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding about tipping in America. Diners have been led to believe that tipping should be based on the quality of the service. But this is not the reason we tip. We tip because restaurateurs in America have shifted the burden of paying for some of their labor costs to diners. So when you don’t tip, it affects the wages of servers.

Q: Really, you shouldn’t deduct from the tip when you’ve received subpar service?

Carman: I think diners need to ask themselves a basic question: Do you get paid when you’re having an off day? When you’re not at your best? When you’re in a bad mood?

What’s more, waiting tables is hard work, and servers are only human. They may be having troubles at home, or they may be worried about a loved one. Or maybe they’re just spacing out. Who among us has not done that at our desks?

AD
    Q: Why should customers have to correct bad service?

Carman: It’s a tough situation. People want to feel indulged when they’re dining out. That’s part of the reason we go out to eat, to feel pampered for a while, to live in a world where everyone caters to our needs for an hour or two.

Separate checks and tipping decisions can set off distasteful round of judgment

I think part of the problem is that diners don’t always realize they can exercise more control at the table. If the server is doing something that they don’t like — or not doing something they want — they should just break the spell at the table and tell the server. Just say, politely, “I would like my water glass filled regularly.” Or, “These entrees came out at the same time as our appetizers, can you send them back to the kitchen so we can enjoy a coursed-out meal?” Or whatever the problem is.

Most servers, I think, will respond better to a kind request at the table than a complaint behind their back.

AD
    I know it’s hard. Many people don’t like to be confrontational or even be perceived as confrontational. Plus, they think servers should just know what to do, at all times. But they get busy and distracted, and diners can help them get back on track with a gentle request.

But if the service doesn’t get better, I would ask the manager to switch out servers. A good restaurant will do that.

Q: So, once and for all, what is the appropriate tip at the table — for now at least?

Carman: Bottom line: Diners should always tip 20 percent. Always.

If the service is terrific, you should add more to the tip. But never subtract from the 20 percent.

Carman won me over.

Like it or not, tipping isn’t about me — or you. It’s simply a responsibility placed on all diners in this country. And you need to factor that in as the full cost of dining out.

Readers may write to Michelle Singletary at The Washington Post, 1301 K St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20071 or michelle.singletary@washpost.com. To read previous Color of Money columns, go to wapo.st/michelle-singletary.

--------------

When Tipping is Mandatory . . . is it really tip
    or a 20% Service tax on food?

Rocket River

19. hvic

hvic Member

in chinatown everyone gets the same shitty service lol

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you can't tip order to go and eat at home.