1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tipping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 28, 2019.

1. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

It doesn't. The point is higher wages (however you get them) is what brings better service.
    Tipping is just a way to pass those costs to customers.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Honestly, most of my tips are north of 20%. I'm a generous tipper.

Again, I got the 'try harder' from my sister who was a server, then bartender, for a combined 15 years. It's not rude at all, I'm holding someone accountable.

If you knew your customer's experience absolutely sucked because of your actions, it would probably be a nice reinforcement for you to get your s*** together. If you were new, it might make you examine your work.

Life ain't black and white.

I also tip very well for food delivery because I appreciate the cost of using a personal vehicle.

VooDooPope likes this.
  3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I usually tip around 25% for good service. If it was better than good (nice to my kids, kept our drinks full, etc.) I'll throw a few bucks on top of that to make it a nice even number. Twenty bucks instead of $16.83. You get the idea.

I don't over-think it. I tip well because it's cool being nice to people who are nice to me.

VooDooPope, gifford1967 and Nook like this.
  4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yep, same here (20% er)... Someone would have to really piss me off and obviously not give two hoots about decent service for me to go down to 15%. I've never written a note to someone for bad service...seems really dickish to me.

VooDooPope likes this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

25ish should be standard for being well taken care of.
    15 if it leaves me wanting.
    3 if they suck badly and go out of there way to be poor.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

3 dollars is my average tip. Can't belive people tip that much on here

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Like most things and situations. Some people are nicer and more generous, and just all around better human beings than others.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Usually I tip 20%, but if the service is just terrible I might lower it to 15%.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Don't you tip based on the price of the meal though? For a 15 dollar plate, 3 is fine, for say an 80 dollar meal for you and a lady (or kids if you got em) 3 bucks would be shitty.

I do usually do 15% on anything over 30, might do a higher percentage for cheaper priced meals.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Servers and bartenders make a little less than $0 per hour, when accounting for the tip out which is based on their sales. So if someone tipped $3 on a $100 bill then you will probably break about even depending on how much the place you worked makes you tip out to the host, busser, barback, or bartender if you are a server.

That information if more widely known would perhaps help some people understand and tip better. Some still would not care. Regardless, the people that are nice and appreciate service make up for the people that are not.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You need to dedicate yourself to increasing your tip income so you can afford to stay at better motels in the future.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can't believe it's page three and still no

13. Asian Sensation

Went to Korea last year for the first time since 1992 when I was a kid. They don’t tip there at all. It felt weird not tipping especially since I had no idea at first. I went to a sit down restaurant and left a tip. When I left the waiter chased me outside to give me back money saying I paid too much. When I told him to keep it like $10 on a $50 tab he kind of gave me a look like I don’t need your extra money. Restaurants and bars there certainly don’t expect it and some might even find it rude to tip.

Out of all the places I went to from hole in the walls to casual dining and 5 star hotels/restaurants I couldn’t notice a special difference in service. It was all fine. I gotta admit it was nice not having that expectation to leave a tip when dining out although I did tip the taxi drivers and especially hotel maids well.

I hate ordering take out, paying with a credit card and feeling obligated that I must tip a certain amount since there’s a line for tip on the receipt or even worse those square machines that automatically make you choose 15, 20 or 25%. I’m not used to tipping less than 20% on average for sit down down meals but I’m not tipping that for a “takeout order”. Gtfo here. It was nice not having to deal with that.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I’m with you, this annoys the hell out of me. It makes me feel guilty for not leaving a tip, even when there’s no reason I should be expected to.

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Feel the same way. There is a Jersey Mike's near the bridge club that I go to frequently and they have now added a question about leaving a tip when you pay? Really? They want a tip for fixing my food? Isn't that their job? If that is the case that a tip is needed for something that, ahem, they are supposed to do - then why not tip the cashier at Taco Bell or Burger King or any other food place where you are not being waited on?

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I have been to all six continents tipping is appreciated everywhere. It might not be the custom there, but usually american's tip and they have gotten used to that especially places where the US currency is good like Australia or Europe a few years ago.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

If you don’t mind being ignorant and classless, then a $3.00 tip is fine. Civilized and educated people tip 15% as a starting point for reasonable service and more for better service.

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Let's say you don't tip and you go back to the same places, I can guarantee that when you walk in they hate to see your face again and the chances they *uck with your food is very high and you deserve it, you mother*ucking slob.

Nook likes this.
  19. NateNate

NateNate Member

I usually start around 20% as well, but just the smallest amount of kindness or sincerity in your service and that goes up easily.

I find women bartenders to be less friendly or less concerned with being accommodating. I know I’m painting with a broad brush but just my experience , and that’s not always the case of course.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I tip pretty damn well under most circumstances. I bring my 8-year-old to an upscale dessert place/store that only serves popsicles occasionally and they have a tip line. They open up a case hand it to you and then swipe a credit card. I don't tip there and think it is annoying but hilarious at the same time.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.