1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tipping Pitches, Stealing Signs.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mr.Scarface, Oct 10, 2019.

1. SemisolidSnake

All this attention on this is an indirect way to delegitimize what the Astros did to win that game. Don't stand for that. It started in the booth. "Glasnow was so awesome in the first game that he had these guys completely fooled; there's no way they could have hit him in Game 5 unless they knew what was coming. His only fault was that he tipped. He's still unhittable to the Astros if he doesn't." And so on. I mean, that's why those atrocious broadcasters were so emotional and wouldn't shut up about it. Their boy was too good, so something else was clearly amiss.

Despite that insulting and thinly-veiled insinuation, so what if it was? Recognizing tells isn't cheating, and stealing signs isn't cheating. These teams are in a battle, and they're using obfuscation and ciphers just like you would in a military battle. If I find an enemy's poorly hidden tracks, am I wrong for using that to my advantage to attack them? If I intercept an enemy's encrypted communication and figure out how to decrypt it, am I unethically cheating?

Yes, there are lines in this game you're not allowed to cross with technology as Buck has pointed out above. However, we start using signs in little league, because you can't be expected to unsee things that are right out in the open. And I never played with a little leaguer that would consider it cheating to steal a sign if they could do it. Maybe we should grab a few little league kids to broadcast next year's ALCS. It'd definitely be a maturity upgrade from Girardi, the whiny baby.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I just rewatched the first couple of innings of game one. His set position was more or less the same for both pitches, but on his fastball the first move of his windup was to bring the glove up above the letters. on the curve it stayed where it was through the start of his motion. Hard to see unless you are looking for it, but it was there.

3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

You can’t be penalized for being a good observer. Isn’t that what batters do too? Observe the pitch from start of the pitch. You’ll be able to see patterns after a while. Unless you’re like cole who has the same windup movement and release point for two different pitches.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

It is not cheating to steal signs or watch film to look for pitch tells. All these east coast whiney ass progressives need to just STFU.
    They cannot deal with another team getting the spotlight.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Every player that has talked about it says observing a pitch tip isn’t cheating ... it’s just using everything to win, in other words , expected.

Stealing signs is a slightly different matter, but if you have a runner on 2nd it’s not awful .... however , using cameras or employees is crossing the line

6. likestohypeguy

Haha great yes dedicate some focus, let that occupy a little more mental space than necessary.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Glasnow is interesting in that he appears to have glazed over eyes during the game, and not in a good way, but after the game he seems like just one of the neighborhood kids, in a good way. The Astros have tipped pitches before. It happens to best of them.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not sure if it’s been said yet, as I was watching Tanaka pitch game one of ALCS (vs Astros)
    I noticed from outfield view (TV land) Tanaka pitches with elbow close to body on Slider-Slurve (w/snap of wrist on release)

Elbow away from body on Fastball/Split Finger FB/ Curve

If someone knows anyone with the Astros. Hope it can be viewed from plate.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Where's Carlos Beltran when you need him...

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

What about lying about foul tipping a ball. Is that frowned upon?

jcf, Wulaw Horn and K mf G like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Trust me, they are aware of all his tendencies. Alex Cintron is very good at picking up mistakes.

12. msn

msn Member

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep they knew. And good for them.

DD

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hello and welcome to last week

15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

take those away and they still won 2-1

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Anybody wish that Bregman would be a little more quiet when relaying information to other players about possible tipping? Against Glassnow he crapped on one of his curve balls taking all the way. Then after he scored you could see him mouthing to Correa "If it's up it's a fastball, low it's a curveball." Also in this article it's saying that Bregman was caught yelling "glove" to the dugout regarding Paxton in what some think may be related to tipping.

However it does present the opportunity to play mind games with pitchers when he does get on base. Act like you are picking up a tell to make them stress more even if there is nothing there.

#56 The Real Shady, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  17. HookemHorns1250

This shouldn’t be an issue. If anything it should be a credit to the intelligence of our hitters to pick up on it so quickly.

It wasn’t an issue when our offense started off slow, but we have a few break our games and there’s an article about it. If it’s done legally (No devices etc) then good on our hitters for picking it up.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will bet they have some video guys that are tasked with finding things like this.......it is just smart.

DD

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

When NBA teams used to keep all their time outs during the last 2 minutes of the game, we often see teams will wait till the other teams putting their players on the floor and even after setting up their position and then call the time out to counter that play, so why don't they call the TO before that as this is also stealing information from the other team?

Same has been done on football, and everyone will praise such coaches that called the timeout being the genius also.

20. Buck Turgidson

No ****? Every team has done this for years and years since the advent of video. Before that they just used a human sitting in the stands.