1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman: I was surprised by the decision to dump Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Of course he was

2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

the injury to capeala spelled doom and the rockets were lucky harden played extremely well. Additionally, the team was lucky for the play of house. Those are pluses that you have to credit Morey not necessarily MDA!

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Possibly. Either way I wish Melo got a legit chance to prove himself, rather than being a scapegoat

amaru likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

he was never a scapegoat. he sucked.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Gus Fring.

6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Mark Cuban says Hi!

Agreed that he needs to shut up, sign checks, and he can get fans to worry about Repeater Tax when he actually starts to pay Luxury Tax.

7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Melo's stats weren't the problem. Everyone else on the team playing well below their historic averages, whether Melo was on the court or not: that was the problem. Magically changed as soon as Melo got put on the shelf, and everyone got healthy / into game shape.

8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

His stats were better than Eric Gordon's before he got cut. Your basketball opinion is trash

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

lmao stats. is that why the rockets were instantly better once he stopped playing. how about those stats. stfu

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

He didn’t play well with the Rockets. He complained about his minutes. Hard to call someone that played poorly and complained a scapegoat.
    I supported the Anthony deal at the time because it was low cost and possibly high reward. It didn’t work out so we move on.

YOLO likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

If he were good, he would not have been dumped by NY, OKC and Houston... he also would be on an NBA team.

YOLO and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The online presence of ‘Rockets fans’ makes you think.. however going to a game changes me. Go Rox! Kets 4 life!

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

“his stats were better than Eric Gordon’s before he got cut”...lmao, the logic of foolish Melo stans never ceases to amaze me

Melo’s stats were garbage, and he was utter sh*t on defense...as bad as Ego was offensively to start the season, he still brought it defensively which is why he could still bring something positive to the table unlike Melo who was straight up trash on both ends...also, EG’s history showed he was a much better player than what he was displaying so it was only a matter of time before he got back to his normal level of play...Melo’s history was that of a declining, washed, former star who was inefficient offensively and garbage defensively

Melo stans still caping for this scrub is hilarious, and as usual, u will never see any mention of defense in their sad attempts to defend him

Melo still remains unsigned shooting midrange jumpers at LifeTime Fitness...he better hope the Nets make a dumb decision and sign him

YOLO likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

The disagreement wasnt over a few mill dollars, MDA wanted an extension and Tillman probably wanted him gone but didnt want to fire him outright thats why he proposed a performance based deal. Thats basically saying he doesnt have confidence MDA will do a good job.

Are you an insider? I dunno why you are so confident calling Tillman a liar lmao if you don't have any proof. As an outsider I can def find it believable Morey dropped Melo without talking to him, he was the one who made the decision and not Tillman. Rox were losing games by 20+ pts I highly doubt Morey was in close communication with Tillman he was prob hiding from him cuz they were losing.

Tillman isnt saying he didnt know about it, he is saying he knew about it after Melo got dropped. Meaning Morey let Melo go first and then talked to him about it.

You don't even know what you are talking about lmao. MDA's salary doesnt count against the salary cap so LTS doesnt factor in it. Melo's salary is guaranteed already doesnt matter if you keep him or not he was already a hit in the cap. Both of these moves don't factor in LTS at all but according to you Tillman is lying about Melo and about MDA because of LTS.

You're lucky you are posting in a Rox forum and not on twitter. Tillman will come after you and shut you up just like he did that other dude who kept claiming he was cutting all the departments to save on $$$.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

The logic here is Melo is just costing a vet min deal. Nobody is saying Gerald Green is a defensive ace but he is also on the team.

Melo not being signed is him getting blackballed. The players themselves are saying Melo isnt a cancer, that includes Harden, Cp3, KD and Irving. He isnt a saint or even a model player but at bet min its kinda dumb no team has picked him up by now.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

No, they weren’t.

Don’t bring stats into this. They have never been in Melo’s favor, and will just make you look dumber.

YOLO likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Gerald Green can be benched, get DNPs, etc, and there will be no issue...he will accept whatever role he’s given even if it includes no PT...that is not the case with Melo...Gerald Green could get cut at any time, and it’s business as usual since he’s a vet min bench role player, but cut Melo, and all of the sudden you’re doing him dirty and all this other nonsense

Melo should be the 10 or 11th man on a team at best, and there will be many games where u just can’t afford to have him out on the floor, but this dude is on national TV talking about “u mean to tell me I can’t make a 9 or 10 man rotation?” No one is trying to deal with all this drama over the role of your 10th or 11th man. To this day, we are still over here discussing washed Melo. Let him start racking up DNPs because he’s hurting the team, and you’ll see it become some topic of conversation with articles being written and segments on national TV being done about it. If Gerald Green starts getting DNPs, nobody will care.

YOLO likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's officially talked more in one year than the 5 other Houston owners in my lifetime did combined.

Der Rabbi likes this.
  19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Um, yes they were. This was through the first 10 games. I know you guys don't really watch the games closely but please do your homework before giving a opinion

20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He's been blackballed for reasons unrelated to basketball. Not sure why you can't see what's clearly obvious