1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tillerson Ends His Silence

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rashmon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

In his first major appearance in a long time, Rex talks with our Chronicle...excerpted below.

Rex Tillerson makes rare public appearance in Houston
    When asked about his federal service, Tillerson told the crowd Thursday that he had never actually met Trump until he was invited by Vice President Mike Pence to a meeting that ended with him being asked to become secretary of state.

The honeymoon didn't last long, Tillerson said. The relationship between him and Trump became strained after the president grew tired of the former Exxon Mobil CEO telling him that he could not do things the way he wanted.

Tillerson said the two had starkly different styles and did not share a common value system.

"So often, the president would say here's what I want to do and here's how I want to do it and I would have to say to him, Mr. President I understand what you want to do but you can't do it that way. It violates the law," Tillerson said.

Trump would get very frustrated when they would have those conversations, he said.

"I'd say here's what we can do," Tillerson said. "We can go back to Congress and get this law changed. And if that's what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with that. I told him I'm ready to go up there and fight the fight, if that's what you want to do."

Tillerson said Trump rose to power by tapping into something that the American people felt very strong about and using the tools of the day such as Twitter to do it.

"I will be honest with you, it troubles me that the American people seem to want to know so little about issues, that they are satisfied with a 128 characters," Tillerson told Schieffer.

Tillerson voiced those concerns even further in his conversation.

"I don't want that to come across as a criticism of him," Tillerson said. "It's really a concern that I have about us as Americans and us as a society and us as citizens"

Italics added for emphasis to point out to our unbelievers that our mistake-in-chief is unfit.

RayRay10, Deji McGever, adoo and 6 others like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

"I will be honest with you, it troubles me that the American people seem to want to know so little about issues, that they are satisfied with a 128 characters," Tillerson told Schieffer.

Amen.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Jesus H Christ yes. If the entirety of your political views fit on a bumper sticker there is something wrong with your views. Nothing in government, including fixing healthcare, is easy or simple.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Only a certain set of voters are satisfied with 128 characters or memes

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In the coming years intense studies will be done in attempt to understand the continued support of this man. Further into the future AI will conduct research into the matter also. There will still be confusion as to why people can twist their brains into thinking Trump is a good President.

Rashmon likes this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nothing actually surprising in what Tillerson said. Just further proof of the childish mind that was elected President.

Amiga and mdrowe00 like this.
  7. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

;)...I hope to whatever-higher-power-you-believe-in we don't get anything like A.I. involved in this.

It might come to the conclusion that we're all of us human fleshbags just a waste of valuable resource and get rid of us.

...and let's be real here:

...if an A.I. REALLY looked at the evidence...could you blame it at all if it came to that conclusion?

Rashmon likes this.
  8. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...Another thing that's unsurprising was that Tillerson said he had no problem with what the president wanted to do. Just with the way he wanted to do it.

...puts all that "personal honor" and "country-over-party" stuff on a lightrail to nowhere, doesn't it?

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don’t want to pretend like Tillerson is some hero. He took the job knowing full well who trump was and is. He was willing to work towards trump’s ultimate goals...he just didn’t agree on how to get there.

10. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...it's all right.

Nothing you need to defend yourself from here.

Like I say: I don't care anywhere near as much about what anything or anybody looks or sounds like, as I care about what anything or anybody does.

Sophisticated or meticulous or polished or improper...contempt is contempt.

#10 mdrowe00, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    peleincubus likes this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The cognitive dissonance created by our 2016 mistake is almost overwhelming sometimes.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

he is clearly just an angry DEMOCrat.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Not saying Trump are in their class but Mao, Hitler and Stalin all had very loyal followers, so it should come as no surprise that any leader of any nation will have many followers no matter what they had done.

peleincubus likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Very true. They were a million times worse in some ways than Trump. Perhaps a million times smarter also. The thing is it's 2018, it should be a bit more difficult to be tricked these days.

15. IVFL

IVFL Member

Soooooooo the Oil executive of the Cabinet was telling the Real Estate "Tycoon" that what he was doing would be illegal. . . . . let's let that one sink in. Welcome to our current administration in a nutshell.

That actually scared me that the Oil executive is out of the White House. I think this idea that people with wealth are the ones who have all the answers needs to run its course.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Trump supporters are beyond stupid.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Gee, I wonder what prompted this tweet today?

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Word on the street is that Mao, Hitler and Stalin read their daily briefings.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

So the President essentially is saying that he exercised poor leadership and judgment by appointing someone Secretary of State that lacked the intelligence to do his job?

TheRealist137 likes this.
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

fify

leroy likes this.