1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tiger Woods hit with lawsuit after employee dies in car crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, May 14, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

PeRsOnAl ReSpONsIbILTy

2. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not arguing the law, I am only saying I don’t believe that the family of the alcoholic should receive the money.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

I know you weren't, just throwing info out to the board.

I would hope they pay off his funeral (I have no idea their financial situation, and those can get expensive) and donate the rest to an appropriate organization. That has no bearing on the propriety of the legal proceedings though.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Clearly, the 24 year old was enamored with working at Tiger’s bar. He was driving his Corvette, which is an expensive car, regardless of its age. That makes it sound like he had personal or family resources beyond what he could make bartending. I was a bartender at a pub in University Village, over by Rice, in another Age. I could make enough to pay rent while going to school, and rents were cheap ($65 a month, bills paid, for a garage apt. 2 blocks from Hermann Park), but not much more. I did it as much for the “perks” as for any other reason. We had great parties after closing with hot chicks from Rice.

But I digress, as per usual. The suit alleges that he had drinks with Tiger and his girlfriend a few nights before, and that they knew he was having a problem dealing with alcohol. The whole thing sounds weird to me. It’s unclear if Tiger knew he had a drinking problem (the suit alleges that he did), but his girlfriend, who managed the bar, had to know, in my opinion.

People are easily attracted to celebrities. I think it’s partly to blame for the strong feelings some have for trump. The man’s a celebrity that they feel “close to” by eagerly supporting him. Makes as much sense as some of the other reasons I can think of and sounds better, as well.

5. body slam

body slam Member

Caught a little off the story on 610 on my drive home. Anyone hear anything about the bar erasing the video of that night?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Shouldn't the money go to the community then, rather than only to the family of the person who was no less responsible for what happened?

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course it should. The punitive aspect should go to funding dui enforcement and prevention.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think companies get sued all the time. This isn't really something I am following. I guess it's newsworthy because of Tiger being tied to it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Why are you making these judgments the day/week the suit is filed? Nobody is disagreeing, but why are people attacking the suit being filed in the first place? This is the legal process. They had to file this.

Nobody knows anything yet, and disparaging the family's motives at this point is wrong.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The Bar should have liability insurance that will pay for part of the it

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Trompas should pardon Tiger. Least he could do for a Medal of Freedom recipient.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Just a couple points.

No one held a gun to the families heads, they made the decision to sue for money.

A lot of people have problems with the suit because they believe the bartender made the decision to drink and become drunk and ultimately die.

I have had some cases where a codefendant has been a pub or bar under a dram claim. Usually the insurance company just tenders the policy limits and moves on.

This (like every civil tort case) is about money. At the end of the day it is always money.

mick fry, LosPollosHermanos and jcf like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

The concept of punishment for plaintiffs is strong, always has been in tort cases, so I totally disagree with you about *every* (really?) tort suit motivation. The only way they can exact punishment is money. I just don't see the big deal about this one. Yes his parents filed suit, correct me if I'm wrong but they were the only ones with standing to do so, right?

Frankly, that restaurant's operating company (*if* they are as negligent as alleged) should be sued out of business. I'm assuming Tiger is personally protected, LLCs and all, then a layer of liability insurance. Or not. Don't care.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

jesus ****ing christ, countless people have issues---but this family---who I understand is grieving---has turned this dude into a victim.

He was driving drunk ok.

POS like him have killed a close friend of mine. It sucks that his family has to mourn his passing but I'm just glad he didn't take anybody out. The entitlement these days is insane. Like others have said, take some damn responsibility for your actions.

mick fry likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I think we basically have the same opinion. I am only saying that as a jaded attorney, this is about money and nothing else. I’m not saying they don’t have the right to sue and I am not saying that the restaurant isn’t liable (they likely are).

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is a bartender a customer? If a bartender is pouring his own drinks is it the bar that is serving him?

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Even if you want the bar punished you shouldn't want the drunk driver or the family rewarded in any way. Otherwise assholes will be encouraged to get drunk at a bar and try to drive home.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This situation really depends on how drunk the guy appeared -- slurred speech, stumbling, etc.

Some people hold their alcohol better than others regardless of amount.

Restaurants notice these things and usually act accordingly -- most of the time overly accordingly, and rightfully so.

If they allowed an inebriated-appearing person to drive (or kept serving said person), they share liability.

If the guy appeared okay, there should be no liability.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't think someone will be encouraged to drive drunk in order to be 'rewarded' If they are in an accident where they are killed or severely Injured.