1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tiger Woods hit with lawsuit after employee dies in car crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, May 14, 2019.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I worked for years as a bartender in college... the restaurant is liable. It has been the law for years in pretty much every state. They could win the suit if they can prove efforts were made to get the patron a cab like I was always instructed to do big they are certainly liable and should have been more aware here. That’s a crazy high level.

Also there are receipts in this case. It’s easy to find out how much was served. Technically it’s the law (with TABC at least) to not serve over a drink an hour if the patron isn’t eating, drinking a decent amount of water, or larger than normal. Yeah everyone serves more than that per hour but any decent bartender keeps aware of their personal liability when they start to see someone go over the line and see they might be driving as well.

More to the point of the reaction here... good lord... Trump gives the metal of freedom to someone and that means the mob crew now have to defend his honor against the evil libs now. Wtf is wrong with you crazies? I still love Tiger as a lib myself. It ain’t all about your stupid culture war you self obsessed nutcases.

Jayzers_100 and Deckard like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

A little from column A, a little from column B

3. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Who said they were liberal. What a dumb thing to say.

#23 AleksandarN, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Again another dumb comment. Who said this was a liberal issue.

Deckard likes this.
  5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I agree with the first part. But he has drove drunk before. Where is the family there to help prevent him from doing again? Also did he buy the drinks or did he just take them(he is bartender after all. If he served himself then what) . I just don’t like the idea of the family profiting from their sons decisions it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was a bartender there? So he was serving himself? The question becomes was the restaurant aware he was drinking on the job and to what degree.

7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

If he was the one in charge who had the oversight to stop him from drinking? Also it is illegal to drink on the job in some states I imagine or against company policy in most cases. A lot questions unanswered.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He is at fault, but the bar has an obligation too, and it wasn't met.

9. juicystream

He supposedly started drinking after his shift ended, so was technically a customer. Depending on the bar, bartenders drinking isn't all that uncommon, so he may have started drinking while working, and not exactly difficult to get away with anything during lunch hours at a bar.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Dram Shop laws are often a joke, they cap the amount recoverable in an accident and the amount typically isn't very high.

Bars LOVE Dram laws for that very reason.

Should his family recover money? I don't know...... but I do know that there is something wrong with a manager giving drinks to an employee after work to the point that he is almost 4X the legal limit.

Tiger Woods really should consider the judgment he has trusting his girlfriends to run his bar. She obviously has bad judgment, as does he.

11. Buck Turgidson

Florida's law has 2 main points where they can be held liable: sales to minors, and sales to people with known alcohol addiction history.

Serving a known AA member enough drinks to get him that ridiculously drunk seems to be a pretty huge lapse in responsibility by the establishment.

Nook likes this.
  12. juicystream

This is the interesting part. The bar is undeniably responsible for letting someone get so drunk and driving if they took no action, but it isn't really the family that deserves the money.

Nook likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm sure his family was trying to help him since he was apparently in AA.
    DING DING DING

This is why the family can and should sue, @AleksandarN. It's not that they're money hungry and just trying to profit off of their son's death. It's holding the bar accountable. According to their lawyer, they knew he was an alcoholic and in AA. Per the Florida law, they're accountable.

14. Buck Turgidson

I do question his choice of jobs though. That's on him for putting himself in that situation, and it's why we have a judicial system to portion out the liability claim (i.e it's not an all-or-nothing thing). Was he sneaking drinks behind the bar? Did they know about him doing this, or doing it before? When was he obviously drunk? I've known a heavy drinker who after seeming normal for a long time would go from zero to sh!tfaced in about 10 minutes.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think people don't want to see a drunk driver make money.

I understand the law and it fair but there is a rightful disdain for drunk driving and to see the family of the drunk driver make money stings

AleksandarN likes this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Once had a boss that was a severe alcoholic. Seemed normal most of the time but it took very little to get him going. I always thought it was because he drank so much that he was always 1/2 way there. The s*** I had to deal with during and after dinners with clients was ridiculous.

The kid obviously has some responsibility...which he's paid with his life. He clearly shouldn't have taken a job that would be such an easy trigger. I'm guessing the allure of working for Tiger Woods was too hard to pass up.

Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd be fine with Florida's alcohol regulation fining the bar for overserving a patron. But yeah, to see a family profit off a drunk driver irks me the wrong way unless they plan to donate the winnings towards AA or drunk driving non-profits.

juicystream likes this.
  18. juicystream

He's dead... Pretty sure he got everything he could have deserved for drinking and driving.

Also guessing the family is suffering from the loss.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That doesn't mean they should get money.

I agree with the law because bars need to be held responsible. Not because something happened to him thats ultimately his fault. The goal is to stop driving not to reward people who do so. If just works out that way.

That being said the family is suing so that also leaves a bad taste but i guess thats how it has to work

20. Buck Turgidson

Yes.

I'm surprised people seemingly didn't know about laws like this all over the country (and world) prior to Tiger's name getting attached to it.