1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They're not going to fire BO'B

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Damion Laverne

Deshaun is Andrew Luck 2.0 if nothing major changes. All it takes is one huge hit after running into a sack (or another knee injury).

2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

It’s crazy but BOB is actually going to outlast Hinch, Lunhow, D’Antoni and Morey. Smh

gatsby, Gray_Jay and macho87 like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes that is my point. Our offense doesn’t scheme guys open

Rudyc281 and ima_drummer2k like this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to remember the last time we ran a rub route or pickish like play.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

this has been my complaint. Only way guys are open on this offense is they just beat their man downfield. Have to work so hard for offense

RayRay10, Jturbofuel, Nook and 2 others like this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's almost like the Rockets offense. The only way you can make a play is to beat your man one-on-one. This also takes more time than, say, a quick-hitting slant or crossing route...and that puts more pressure on our O-line to protect our franchise QB.

We always seem to want to make players adapt to the system instead of the other way around.

HstnSprtsFan101 and justtxyank like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

"Derrick Johnson is not a fit in our 3-4. Better draft Travis Johnson instead."

desihooper, Jturbofuel and justtxyank like this.
  8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Nobody holds him accountable.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I feel like the Rockets equivalent in the NFL would be more like what the Chiefs do. Find the superstar (Mahomes), surround him with talent that can maximize his skill (speed at skill positions), and rely on him to make the right decisions on each play.

I mean if Daryl Morey runs the Texans do you honestly believe he would do stuff like trying to establish the run with Carlos Hyde? Or have Lamar Miller be the team highly paid RB in the past years?

10. Buck Turgidson

I was impressed, shocked and amazed at how they ran the fake screen (they ran a real one earlier) and got Stills on the breakout TD.

Then there was zero creativity the rest of the game.

Kim likes this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Give BO'B credit. It only took a full season to scheme a TD on the opening drive. That's progress! At this rate, we'll have a competent offense in 12 seasons.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think you left out a vitally important difference: playmakers; specifically Hill & Kelce. Those two strike genuine fear in a defense. Hopkins, Fuller, et al - are very good/great - and I'd tried them all for Hill & Kelce.

I think Mahomes is (probably) overall better and Reid is obviously a significantly better offensive coach. But, man... having Hill & Kelce changes everything and it makes comparisons (ultimately) unfair.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What's Mike Martz up to? Seems like he'd be able to design an offense with these weapons.... until the league caught on and he didn't have a backup system in place... sorta like the Wade Phillips of offense.

Nook likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It was even better than that - they ran an actual bubble screen earlier to set-up the fake bubble screen. And Kansas City bit on it HARD. It was actually breathtakingly beautiful.

BO'B has had moments like that - most of them in 2014 & 2015. Where does that go?! Why is he not more consistently creative?....

Blatz likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Yes...I said that.

Best play BoB has set up in his career with Houston.

Nook likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

It's pretty simple: it's because he sucks as a head coach. Every NFL coach has a few creative plays here and there. But the good ones know how to incorporate them properly, adjust and use them at the right times, etc. BoB is simply not that guy.

I agree that BoB is obviously not getting fired. But as long as he is the head coach, any other moves are the equivalent of rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

4 years later, new coordinator, new QB, revamped OL, etc...same old BoB.

The playoffs aren’t time to get cute. Being down 13-0 in the playoffs is less of a time to get cute. And being near the goal line down 13-0 in the playoffs is when you should get cute least of all. But the egos of Houston Texans coach Bill O’Brien and offensive coordinator George Godsey never got that memo, which is why the Texans, trailing by 13 points in Saturday’s wild-card game and finally seeing some daylight with a 1st-and-goal on the two-yard line brought in defenders J.J. Watt to take the snap out of the Wildcat while fellow defender Vince Wilfork came in at fullback.

Clearly the Kansas City Chiefs were caught completely off guard by the defensive star coming in to take a snap at quarterback. No, wait, they, like every person on earth watching this game, knew Watt was going to take the ball and try to run it for a touchdown behind the big boys on the line.

The Texans had been moving the ball. They had a first down with two yards until pay dirt. Then they absurdly decided to get cutesy and put in defense to play offense and the Chiefs snuffed it out like a professional team should snuff out such nonsense. To cap it off, quarterback Brian Hoyer, with one less play to operate than he’d normally have, threw an interception on the very next play. Never has a coach deserved to watch his offense turn over the ball more than O’Brien did there. If the Texans are going to keep that first play in the playbook, they’re welcome to make a copy of this.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/jj...ty-chiefs-bill-obrien-defense-playing-offense

Blatz, Jake Tower, Nook and 3 others like this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kubiak takes over