1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They're not going to fire BO'B

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This might be one of those, "No one is talking about" kind of posts, so sorry - but... no one is talking about Watson - who is very good and had a very good season and is the reason to be optimistic about the team - actually regressed this year - BY THE NUMBERS.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kind of hard for the kid to be a QB and a OC at the same time. How many times has he visibly told BOB what needs to be done on offense? BOB need to pick a job and stick with it.

#102 REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    pugsly8422, Gray_Jay and Nook like this.
  3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

4. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Reflection on O'Brien. Pff grade was 81

Hey Now! and Nook like this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We've been told every year that THIS is the year Obrien FINALLY has HIS guys and we'll see his "real" offense.

Even after mortgaging the future the offense is only slightly better and still mediocre at best

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What was he last year and how did his 81 rank among other QBs this year? I'm not by any means denigrating Watson or his season - he was very good. But, statistically, he was better last year, and I think that's a damning indictment of this coaching staff.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think there are a few things that go into this. One being that Watson played 1 less game this season, the other being a more slightly more effective running game with Hyde/Johnson vs. Miller/Blue. Watson also had a number of bad INTs in the red zone this season.

That being said, the game plans vs. the Jags (week 2), Panthers, Ravens, and Broncos were absolutely pathetic and that goes on the staff.

Hey Now! likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think it's ok to denigrate his season.

I'm not saying he's not a good QB, but the offense was bad this year and it's not ALL on the coaches. He doesn't throw guys open (and the offense doesn't scheme them open) and he seemed REALLY indecisive about running when the pocket collapsed.

Nook and Hey Now! like this.
  10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm amazed that how with a healthy Watson, Hopkins, improved OL, TE's getting involved in the passing game, and a 1,000 yard rusher, we were still middle of the pack in both points and yards. We all keep talking about how much talent there is on offense, but we were still 14th in points scored and 13th in yards. Doesn't it feel like we should be better than that?

BTW, our offense was only a little better this year than it was in BOB's first year when Fitzpatrick was the QB.

#110 Cannonball, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Nook, ReliantTexan, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No, they're not going to fire BOB. I'm considering checking out on the Texans. I might change my tune by the time the season rolls around. But it's a very disappointing team to root for. They're not that fun to watch, even when they win, and O'Brien's not going to suddenly start fixing his faults as a coach.

solid likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Really? You don't think a better scheme (with more imaginative routes, etc.) would get guys open more often?

I mean, this is pretty much EXACTLY how I predicted this season would go 6 months ago. Win the division, maybe win a wildcard game then get blown out in the divisional game. This is our ceiling as long as BOB is here. It's basically the Texans Season template. A few variations here and there....but that's how it usually goes every year.

Even up 24-0, I told my wife we were going to lose.

After the Oilers/Bills game in 93, I was totally devastated. I literally couldn't function for a week. After the game last week, my wife asked me if I was okay and I was like "yeah, I'm fine...wanna go get some dinner?"

#112 ima_drummer2k, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

With Buttchin totally in charge with (thanks to him) no draft picks to work with why anyone here would expect things to change for the better is beyond me. As Maya Angelou pointed: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." This dimwit has been showing Houston football fans his incompetence for 6 years now and yet every season folks here fool themselves into believing that THIS TIME things will be different. Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I have a lot of confidence in Watson as a QB, but watching him vs. Mahomes was painful. They both had good protection (Mahomes' was bordering on great) but Mahomes got the ball out fast and decisively whereas Watson held the ball seemingly for-ev-errr. Either this is bad QB coaching, bad offensive scheming, or Watson simply isn't that good. I've seen enough raw talent out of Watson to think it is some combination of #1 and #2. This year felt like a step backwards for his development.

When we went up 24-0 I was hooting and hollering and having a grand old time in the bar. I turned to my buddy and said "I know this isn't going to last but moments of happiness with this team are few and far between so I'm going to enjoy it". I'm glad I took a moment to smell the roses before BOB took a giant dump on them, again. We left the bar before the 3rd quarter was over, LOL. I went home and my wife was like "are you upset?" and I honestly wasn't because I had no expectation of winning that game, even up 24-0, which is a sad indictment of BOB.

#114 DonnyMost, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Nook, GradyMcTracy, Blatz and 3 others like this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL.

I mean, maybe it would have been different if one of those TD's came after a 12-play 10-minute drive? KC had a LOT of miscues in that 1st quarter beside just the blown coverage and the miffed punt. They had some 3rd down drops when the receiver was WIDE OPEN.

When they showed Mahomes on the sideline yelling encouragement while down 24 points, I knew it was just a matter of time.... I'm a Texans fan, after all.

Nook likes this.
  16. Damion Laverne

Conclusion: The Watson-O'Brien pairing will not work. That's obvious. O'B has to go.

Watson regressed this year. He's gonna have to go back to the lab in the offseason and get better.

Rudyc281 and Blatz like this.
  17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Has Cal gone hiding...? Someone take the initiative and start a campaign to out BO'B and RAC. We need billboards, t-shirts lollipops, special pens calling for the impeachment of BO'B&RAC. I'm not in Houston and don't have the means right now but I'll toss some change in to help.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i guess the owner wants this to blow off lol.. this is just crazy.. why doesn't he come out and talk to the fans?

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The fact that our giant lead was more of KC's fault than our own kept my expectations in check.

I expected to lose, or at least I kept the door of possibility on that WIDE open... but did I expect KC to outscore us 51-7 after that? Not even close. That blew me away.

This was my expectation not because I am a Texans fan. Not because I am a Houston fan. But because I know Bill O'Brien is a bad coach and as such the Texans are not a good team.

Blatz likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It’s a mix of all 3 at times because Watson does hold on to the ball way too long at times but in his head he’s prolly thinking if I can just hold to the ball one more second I can make a game changing play.

It’s sort of a gift and a curse. He just feels like he can make the big play at times when he should just take the check down or throw it away.