1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The XFL has begun

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Cold Hard, Feb 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That camera angle behind the line of scrimmage was pretty weak...It's fine for replays and stuff, but on almost every play, it was horrible...I thought I was watching somebody play Madden 2001. Plus, NBC kept switching camera angles during the middle of a play...You would think they actually knew how to broadcast a football game after doing it for over thirty years...

Also, do we REALLY need to get inside the huddle while they're calling a play?? I'm pretty sure your average football fan doesn't understand what "X Right Slot, Z 32 Waggle Deep" or something like that means...

My final gripe...that guy on the sidelines interviewing everybody was pretty annoying...That was classic when that guy asked "He Hate Me" to comment on the last play, and homedude just looked at him and ran towards the huddle...Next time, I'm pretty sure he'll cold **** him or something...

Finally, I can't WAIT until the first XFL paternity suit by a cheerleader...Let's see some "behind the scenes" footage of THAT action!!

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

XFL players are NFL rejects.

The XFL was created to put the fans in the middle of the game. If any player thinks that he is above the XFL, that scrub needs to get cut from his $5000 per game salary. Again, the scrub has to realize that he fortunate to be playing football in the US at any level when his career should have ended after riding the bench at college.

------------------

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yes The WNBA is a good product , It involves bringing a new breed of fans into basketball . The XFL is basically the latest shot at cutting into the NFL's popularity . The Las Vegas Game was pretty Boring , I am glad they swiched over to Orlando-Chicago , But WHat the HELL was that Orlando commentator smoking?!??! Damn he was Drunk or High or somethin .

------------------
    Moe's Classic Signatures

"Will Work for Clutch 101 Book"

4. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree that football needs an offseason. The long break from NFL games is part of what gets me so excited to see the start of a new season.

------------------
    The whole world we travel with our thoughts,
    Finding nowhere anyone as precious as one's own self.
    Since each and every person is so precious to themselves
    Let the self-respecting harm no other being. -from the Samyutta Nikaya

5. Timing

Timing Member

I thought it was fairly entertaining. Some of those hits were friggin ferocious! The sound of the hits was pretty good too. I liked some of the camera angles though I agree they need to pan back when they're at the line and stuff. The cheerleaders... oh my gawd.... I'd like to see a lil MORE of them if ya know what I mean!

Did yall see some of the fans in the stands? Everyone looked drunk off their ass. Were they giving away the beer or somethin!? Geez...

------------------
    "Somebody DO something out there." -Bill Walton

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

How long will the XFL be around for though? I've been having this argument with some people -- IMO, it may last for the duration, but it won't stay as big as it is right now for more than a year. It's a lot of hype, and some substance, but it's not good enough to maintain this level for very long.

------------------
    consultant, n.: Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wasn't Jesse's platform based on the fact that he would work for Minnesota and earn his money ? I'm under the impression that this announcing gig and his book only benefit himself. Mr. Ventura, you are being paid by the taxpayers of Minnesota, go to work. And to think, he's neither a Democrat or a Republican.

------------------
    "We don't have any plans. We just plan to win." Mack Brown

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

Sunday's game between San Francisco and Los Angeles was much better. It came down to field goal -- San Francisco made a third down conversion attempt with 30 seconds to go -- tried to run, and didn't make a 1st down -- with no time outs. They literally ran the kicker out onto the field, and he made the field goal with 3 seconds remaining.

From a football aspect, I do like the fact that the teams are much more aggressive -- they fight for every yard. I also like the extra camera angles, sideline reporting, and especially the halftime -- where they go in the locker room to hear the coach's speech.

As far as success goes -- it will be interesting to see. Like the 'reality' shows, this is relatively cheap programming for the networks to produce, so it won't take as much to make it work as you might think. The new camera work and insight into the working of the game is neat, but the NFL could match some of it. We'll just have to see.

FYI -- San Francisco has sold over 25,000 season tickets -- not too shabby. PacBell park looked to be near capacity.

Also -- Did anyone notice the announcer and field commentator for the SF/LA game on UPN? It was our own HOUSTON sports reporter, Chris Wragge! Way to go Chris!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I also liked the cameras, etc.

It seems to me that the XFL is trying to take an existing sport and add an extra element of interactivity to it by having more camera angles, more mics, more coverage and such. It has some neat ideas that would be kindof cool in the NFL. FWIW, it's an excellent thing for the owners, etc. They get fairly good TV revenues and ticket sales on top -- then they don't have to pay the players much.

------------------
    consultant, n.: Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.

10. Timing

Timing Member

I hate the WWF but I'm beginning to think the XFL will be a big success. Once the players get used to the cameras and you start seeing some WWF type smack talk gettin thrown around, things will get juiced up even more. Right now the players are like get that camera out of my face. Right now nobody knows the players but there's big potential here I think.

------------------
    "Somebody DO something out there." -Bill Walton

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Did anyone hear the *uck comment made at haltime by one of the producers. While in the lockeroom they accidentally picked up the feed for the producer. It went something like... "get that *uckin Memphis game on the screen. C'mon People let get that *uckin score up there."

I don't know if the West Coast got the transmission, but here in the EAST is was clear as day. oops.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

12. dc sports

dc sports Member

Chris Wragge did make a comment during half time also, I think to one of the other reporters.. "sorry ___, I f^%*^d you on that one."

They were supposed to have a five second delay to bleep out any profanity, but I guess the bleep guy was a little slow on the button.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I enjoyed the little bit of it I saw. May not be the best football, but entertaining nonetheless.

------------------
    "Knickerbocker Please!"
    visit www.swirve.com, coming January 20th, the top 10 films of 2000!
    http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

15. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I was hoping for XFL to be more like NFL Blitz in the Arcades. Damn. [​IMG]

------------------
    Charles Barkley on TBS on the "fat track" poll: "What? 47% said I'd gain more.....why those.....they better be glad this is a family show."

16. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

A) If you're watching the XFL for sexual gratification, you need to get out more.

B) Those jerseys need to be proof-read a bit more carefully. "He Hate Me" should be "He Hates Me".

Or maybe "He Hate Me" should be getting on with his life and entering the fast-paced and thrilling world of custodial engineering instead of fruitlessly pursuing his jock fantasy.

------------------
    If I ain't dead already, girl you know the reason why...

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Personally, I hope the XFL lasts about 5 minutes. To me, it was a farce, and it had the aire of WWF about it....which alone makes me sick.

Some of it was entertaining, but I just cannot take it seriously.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

18. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

"Canadians can now rejoice because we may have just witnessed the birth of a league that significantly enhances the reputation of the CFL." - Chris Cobb, National Post, Canada.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ArtVandolet (edited February 06, 2001).]

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

The XFL is entertaining enough for me to keep watching.

------------------

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Me too. I just hope to see a "maybe, maybe no" on the back of someone's jersey.

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!