1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by malakas, Sep 13, 2015.

1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I always root for Serena, but I will admit that I was happy to see Kerber get the win here. She's got a big game, and she's fun to watch, so it was nice to see her get rewarded for that in this way.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Some really high quality tennis right now at Wimbledon.

Gdaliya likes this.
  3. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Didn't watch a lot of Wimbeldon this year but it looks like Novak is doing well.
    I was hoping for a Federer-Djokovic final.

4. donkeypunch

Haven't followed closely in years, over since Roddick retired but I can't stand that douche of a djoke.

I swear Federer is on steroids. His match with Alexander this morning was fantastic. Del potro and Nadal right now is amazing and always a good matchup.

Gdaliya likes this.
  5. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I can understand that and im not a big fan of Djoke either but i wanna see him, Federer, Nadal and Murray all in their top level grinding it out.

Didn't watch Federer playing today but he is really something else, a true phenomenon.

Tomorrow gonna be interesting, I'm hoping Kerber- Serena final.

Too bad Wimbledon is at the same time as the world cup and the Tour de France

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Have to give a ton of credit to John Isner for elevating his game the way he has.

As recently as a couple of years ago, it looked like both he and Sam Querrey had peaked and were perhaps on the backside of their careers, and each has had a career-best result in a Grand Slam at Wimbledon the last two years.

Neither of those two (barring a shocking late-career surge from either) are going to be remembered as an all-time great in American tennis history, but because there's been so much handwringing over the lack of male American Grand Slam champions during the prime of their respective careers, I think they're going to end up being underrated when it's all said and done.

Querrey has been a top 20-caliber player more often than not since 2009, and just as impressively, he's come back to find his top-20 form on several occasions after lengthy layoffs. Isner's consistency has been incredible, honestly. He's finished clear inside the top 20 in the year-end rankings every year since 2010. For a big man, he's been astoundingly durable, and no matter your personal feelings about his style of play (which I, too, think is pretty boring and creates far too many sets where a tiebreak seems inevitable), there's no denying that he's been one of the best servers in the game throughout his entire career, and that's worth something, too.

donkeypunch likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

I can't quite place where I know Anderson from, but he seems awful familiar to me.

8. Buck Turgidson

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Isner is doping. He’s too tall and too old to be playing his best tennis at this age.

Also, Djoko is awesome.

10. donkeypunch

What about Federer then?

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

He’s not playing his best tennis of his career at his age, Isner is.

Also, being that tall is tough on the body in tennis.

12. donkeypunch

It wasnt but 2 years ago, he wasnt playing sideline to sideline and now hes all of a sudden #1 again and competing for grand slams at his age and wasnt even winded after that 5hr match yesterday? I dont buy it. He is in a period of very high level tennis with djoke, Nadal, del Potro and Murray and hes still competing at his age?

I agree with you on Isner though, I just think theyre all juicing.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Nadal is for sure, and maybe fed is. Blood doping would do wonders in a 5 hour match

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Can we make bets if this match will finish today?

Gdaliya likes this.
  15. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Just got home and tuned in, was expecting to see Nadal vs Djoko.
    Guess I'll have to wait.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Until Monday

17. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I thought that it would end when Anderson had the 2 breaking points but Isner somehow keeps surviving

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Mahut is jealous.

19. donkeypunch

Just an afterthought now.

20. Buck Turgidson

This is nuts. 23-22?