1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Splatoon 2 Strategy & Tips Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Aug 2, 2017.

1. what

what Member

Here's my tip for today at least.

Speed tip:
    With the Ink Brush and Octobrush, you actually MOVE faster when you hold down the ink brush and "streak" paint. It's like a turbo boost and no other weapon does this. Meaning that you can literally run through an enemy's painted-up zone with a streak

Example of use:
    If an enemy is using a painted up zone as a "safe" zone, the best way to get to him is with a Ink Brush or Octobrush you can literally turbo up to him. Of course, the problem is that he'll be trying to spray you with ink, but you have an advantage if you are good at dodging.

How to pair abilities:
    Ink Saver (main) and Ink Recovery Up are good options. Both equal a longer speed boost (which equals MORE speed in the game). Since many times enemy's will be chasing you. As a bonus, and since your brush runs out of ink fast, adding these abilities will allow you to "turbo paint" longer (plus you can get a special charge up without having to refill your tank.)

I would use these to increase your speed and also give you a long duration of ink throwing, than using Run Speed up and Swim Speed up. You'll gain more speed longer AND you'll have more ink in the tank.

In the same vein, Ink Resistance Up is nearly useless for the Ink Brush and Octobrush. The only time you would benefit from Ink Resistance Up is when you are in enemy ink and you are completely out of ink in your tank yourself.

However, Ink Recovery Up IS hella useful for shooters and especially chargers who might get trapped and need to run to escape. It can make you glide through enemy ink.

When you are melee-ing (i.e. swinging your brush), your walk speed is pretty bad with the Ink Brush and Octobrush, and rollers and duallies and guns like the splattershot all can walk faster while firing at full blast than you can when you are swinging your brush, so kept that in mind.

One thing I have found is that when playing with idiots, having tenacity is a good thing. Equip Tenacity to your setup and when you are down a man your special weapon will begin filling the tank, the more players you are down the faster your tank fills.

If you pair Tenacity with say Ink Resistance up--(stacking a card with Ink Resistance up, you'll need more than 1 and it's stackable), so try more than one for best results--you could literally walk into enemy paint and use your special weapon.
    Obviously, this works best with the Splashdown: so it would be a good pairing if you are using the Splattershot, a goo tuber, or blaster. The splat roller, which is the other weapon that uses splash down, I don't like this setup. Because the splat roller (as long as you have ink) you are going to laydown paint in front of you. However, on the flip side, if you want to conserve your tank then this would still be a good option. Plus if you are completely out of ink in your tank (which you might be if you have your special charged) you can walk into THEIR paint, execute your splashdown and your tank is refilled automatically (voila!). So it may still be a good setup for this.

#1 what, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Nook

Nook Member

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Thanks what for the heads up. I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Online play gets annoying sometimes because there are just people that literally stand around. Gets old fast.

5. what

what Member

I'm outside all day every day. You just jelous because the game sounds fun and you don't have a Nintendo switch. lol. This game is the best shooter around and Nintendo pwn'd xbo and playstation at their own game in 1 try, lol.

If you are a competitive first person shooter gamer and you aren't playing splatoon 2 you are going to be left behind.

But this is not about that. Splatoon is just damn fun game, and I love it.

peleincubus likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I actually had the first one for my son and he broke it taking it out of the case. I'll get this one eventually for him.

7. what

what Member

Here is another tip relating to farming abilities.

The increase slots/reroll.

If you are wondering why murch is too stupid busy to reroll or increase your slots on gear, it is because you have to have offer him a super sea snail. How do you get those? You can get them by talking to Judd the sleeping cat on the left of the big tower.
    Judd awards you 1 super sea snail when you reach level 30 and each level thereafter he'll award you another.

There are 50 levels in the game so you have the opportunity to get 20 of these snails.

In regards to farming, I would say that this is could be useful if you have a garment with three slots that you got screwed on and none of the abilities are something you want to scrub.

However many people use this to increase the slots of a piece of clothing to look "fresh."

Me personally, since I know that brands carry common abilities and also that it is difficult to gain 20k easily, for a wasted scrub, I would look for a piece of gear that has the brand you need, add 3 slots, and level up 3 at a time.

Im at level 25 I think so it will take a bit of time.

Also the more wins you rack up in a row the better your experience points are at the end of a match. I've been at super fresh 3 times and always end up losing.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Switch and splatoon users, this is a neat deal worth investigating:

Edit: it's a Switch compatible bluetooth controller that also pairs to android/PC/iphone as well. It's currently at $33.
    [​IMG]
    Edit 2: use this link instead https://www.massdrop.com/buy/8bitdo-fc30-pro-or-nes30-pro-bluetooth-gamepad
    This didn't phisph for me when I used it through Gizmodo? Not sure what happened what...

#8 Pizza_Da_Hut, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  9. what

what Member

You need to delete that link, which phished my email and signed me up to massdrop automatically against my will.

This is a spam link

#9 what, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Not sure how that happened, swapped it out with the link from Gizmodo regardless.

11. what

what Member

So, what is y'all's ideal loadout?

I play the ink brush, which is difficult when you have n-zaps, splattershots and duallies peppering shots at you, spraying in all directions, but I love the speed and maneuverability of my little ink brush.

Anyway, my goals for loadout are as follows:
    1. I want to be able to throw two splatbombs without refilling tank.
    2. I want a faster ink refill
    3. I want to ideally add skills to the ink brush that it didn't have before.
    I'm looking at:
    • ink saver main.
    • ink recover up.
    • object shredder.
    Then for subs, I am torn between filling the entire slots with ink saver sub or ink resistance up.

A couple of things about the object shredder: this ability really helps make the ink brush powerful. I can win a battle with getting a sponge bigger or smaller, against any weapon in the game without object shredder. It also works on the rainmaker bubble, the beacons, ink shower and other stuff.

Also, a tip: if your special is splashdown and other players are backing up from you. Here's what I do, immediately after I splashdown I throw my sub weapon(splatbomb) at them. It doesn't always work but I get a lot of splats this way.

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Who's "y'all"? This thread is just you and Pizza_Da_Hut.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great game for old people. They should have one of these in every retirement home.

(If you want competitive, jump on Overwatch)

14. what

what Member

Im hooked. No doubt.

15. MystikArkitect

I'm kinda waiting to see how the meta evolves. I've been getting clobbered lately by brushes and sloshers. Ideally I'd like Ink Saver/Swim Speed/Special Saver so I can curl and swim quickly to take over zones and towers faster. Problem is I run out of paint a lot in the midst of a firefight. I end up regretting curling bombs a lot.

Have been experimenting with chargers and blasters as well.

16. what

what Member

What weapon are you using?

17. Anticope

Anticope Member

I have a lot of fun just playing with a roller. I just cover tons of ground and don't worry about going after people, plus the surprise kills against guys I didn't even realize were under me are always fun.

18. what

what Member

Rollers are dense people mostly. Haha. I however got 1 shot killed by a roller, while I was on top of morey towers. The guy flicked paint up and instantly killed me. I thought that was impressive.

19. Anticope

Anticope Member

But I do good job.

20. MystikArkitect

Enperry Splat Dualies.

I've been meeting grim ends against the tri slosher which is ridiculous at the moment. It out ranges the dualies while also being a two shot kill.

I've also noticed people are on to the jet pack way more than before. Tenta missiles have been pretty on point lately.

I wish there was more training areas other than the one at the store.