1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The sensitivity of Rockets fans

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Haymitch, Nov 21, 2017.

?

Are Rockets fans overly sensitive this year?

1. Yes, more than usual

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Yes, but have always been that way

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. No - AND - there definitely is anti-Rockets bias all over the planet

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. No, and OP sucks

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't deny that at all. But I am curious who is this national writer that is talking about wanting to murder Harden on an internet forum. You're not?

You mistake me. I'm not asserting they are just being objective. The "sports media" is more or less a reflection of fan opinion. Harden's style of play does not endear him to most opposing fan bases, and naturally wouldn't endear him to many sports media members who are, after all, sports fans themselves generally speaking. That's all this is -- not a conspiracy.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As I offered in my last post, I'd like to get back on topic. The topic is a Meta Conversation about our (the GARM's) reaction to a perceived media conspiracy, not whether the conspiracy exists or not; that would be a GARM thread, not a feedback thread.

I think the "sensitivity" ratio has always been this way. I don't agree with your position of saying it has intensified.

per OP

#22 heypartner, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  3. heypartner

Yes, but has it gotten worse.

I think we all agree that fans of EVERY team do this, ie, what OP says is going on in the GARM. But, per the Poll, do you think it is worse this year.

per OP

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it is intensified in the past couple of years because of the "Harden got snubbed" thing. I guess it is understandable. Even Morey couldn't resist crying foul last season about the shifting criteria of MVP voting. We haven't had an MVP caliber player to get snubbed for so long. The general "Houston got disrespected" is always there. The recent intensity comes from adding the Harden narrative to the mix.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Harden didn't get snubbed. He came in second place in an unusual year where there were multiple strong MVP candidates and only one could win it. On almost every ballot he was either #1 or #2. How's that a snub, even if we Rockets fans think Harden was the most deserving?

--
    Edit:
    Don't need to answer. I guess that's steering the conversation to a topic that isn't meant for this forum.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the level of overly sensitive fans will decrease if you eliminate player only fans

7. heypartner

Yeah, I get that, but I also see Harden's success making people more impervious. I certainly have taken Harden and MDA's lead on enjoying becoming a teflon-man to any invented drama by the media. The more success Harden and the Rockets have, the less any of the usual "Houston got disrespected" stuff matters to me.

I cringed when Morey and Tad Brown got in on it, because I didn't feel that way, and didn't want them to make that wrong voice for some of us fans.

But, yes, I do get disappointed when Harden (and Morey) don't win their awards, but I am less sensitive to the talking-heads bloviating around it, because his success gives me less to be sensitive about -- if that makes sense?

Not sure how many others feel this way, but I think I see a lot of GARM members who are enjoying more than they are whining about (vs past years), and have become more impervious to the media, because of Harden's success ... or maybe I'm projecting my feelings onto them.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't put much value on winning by votes. So not winning those awards doesn't bother me.
    I'm answering you anyway. :) I agree that it's not a snub because there are other worthy candidates. But that's not the issue. The issue is perception. Again, it's just like complaining about officiating. We don't notice bad calls against the other team as much as those against us. It's just fan perception. That's called "homerism."

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I'm not trying to expose this person as doing so would make me look bad in that community, but here is the obviously necessary evidence:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#29 DonKnock, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This reminds me of bballholic and his secret sources that he dare not divulge. Except in this case you're protecting someone who is **** talking the team you like, which is an odd thing to do.

But to be honest I don't believe that this is a "national writer" and I'm not sure you do either. The dude might have told you he was for the lulz but lying on the internet is basically our national passtime.

11. heypartner

He is. And probably just an alcoholic writer, too, getting some relief posting anonymously on that big site.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If we're being honest I'm sort of a national writer myself.

CometsWin and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pm me your autograph please ;)

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haymitch

#34 Haymitch, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    tinman likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

pretty sure the head of ESPN stats comments on Rockets fans' whineyness EVERY year :rolleyes:

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thing is, he put together that Kyrie Irving stat package that is going around. The "Clutch stats." And that is being used in the MVP argument. And of course he is hearing it BIG TIME from Rockets fans at the entire body of work of Harden thus far this season.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

maybe the whiney wheel will get the grease

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

National writer? We're all GLOBAL writers. Clutchfans is global.

Haymitch likes this.
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Please do not associate me with BBH.

I have some level of standing at this other board as does this person. You do not have to respect that, but that is the case.

I have received good info there (ex: Melo to Portland fabrication), and I'm not going to throw that out over this when at the end of this you can say "well that is only one guy" anyway.

This sentiment is out there however, if you want another example look no further than Andrew Sharp (Sports Illustrated):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/open-floor-sis-nba-show/id1050847009?mt=2&i=1000395125066

@40:40
    "We get a lot of emailers talking to me specifically about my biases. Uh, I will say the only team in the NBA that I legitimately don't like, and we're not going to get into it right now, but the only team that I truly don't enjoy is the Houston Rockets. *Laughter* Umm, the, I just don't give a bleep about them at all"

Haymitch likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

let's kick the media whores to the side for a minute and consider what is actually influencing games on the court.

in addition to the "harden rule" rollout, at least 3 of our home games have been horridly officiated against harden. the 1st MEM game at home, CLE, and TOR.

the TOR game was so blatant and in his face from the get-go that harden drew a T from bennie adams very early on.

so the show james has put on so far this season, against a stacked deck basically every night, has imo been right up there with the 22win streak and hakeem vs robinson '95.

i'm not sure he'll be able to keep this up, but for people who've actually watched the games it's been like basketball in a video game -- too good to be real.

now back to the media whores. they are whores and will behave like whores. death, taxes, and whores always and forever.