1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The sensitivity of Rockets fans

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Haymitch, Nov 21, 2017.

?

Are Rockets fans overly sensitive this year?

1. Yes, more than usual

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Yes, but have always been that way

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. No - AND - there definitely is anti-Rockets bias all over the planet

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. No, and OP sucks

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why are Rockets fans on CF so damned sensitive? Has it always been this way? Anything short of limitless praise for a Rockets player is received as hate, and the whomever said the "hate" is dumbass that doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

I'm seeing this everywhere this year. It seems like it's worse than ever.

What say yall?

Yung-T likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was going to post a thread like this after listening to one of the Ringer podcasts, but I didn't know how to word it correctly. In a short segment about the Rockets and James Harden Juliet Litman was saying how the fan base has become one of the angriest rivaling the Utah Jazz fan base. In that same segment they talked about Harden playing amazing but then derail the conversation saying that he should try harder on defense despite the Rockets being rated 8th on defense at the time of the podcast. That's what make Rockets fans angry.

Rockets fans have become sensitive because of the amount of disrespect and apathy by the larger sport media.

Daddy Long Legs and DonKnock like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So the problem is that in addition to giving heaps of praise, they mentioned a well known problem with a Rockets player. And that is what counts as disrespect worthy of anger?

I just don't see it that way. I see it as lazy analysis, at worst; nothing nefarious. I think it's more likely than not that they have some lazy analysis for all 30 teams at times. That seems far more likely than a vendetta against the Rockets.

I mean in general balancing out some positives with a negative isn't really unheard of.

Yung-T and durvasa like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is this on the feedback?

Yes, there are way more oversensitive fans. if someone shoots like under 20% from the field, back in the day you can say he sucks without people making up dumb excuses like 'he's working out to get stronger therefore he's missing shots'

5. tinman

Supporting Member

this is a generational problem with society, not just the Rockets.

Rockets fans of now would rather have Kenny Smith and Stephen A Smith praise their team than win a championship.

And when we don't win a title, people don't give respect to those who actually beat us and the champions. They just make excuses.

The MVP means more to them than the Championship.

If it were me, I would treat the Harden Only Fans just like the Lin Only Fans. Throw them off the bus and leave them stranded with no water.
    This is the Clutchfans bus, ROCKETS ONLY FANS

Jontro, Yung-T, durvasa and 1 other person like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's some Realness.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good thread. I think there is the usual level of ignoring Houston in the national media, after all Houston in not New York, LA, or Boston. But Rockets fans seem to be more fed up with it than in other years. And there is a particularly shrill petulance to the whining this year. Virtually EVERY thread in the GARM exhibits the trend. It's not even fun to make fun of it anymore. :(:(;)

Yung-T likes this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think a media bias/conspiracy narrative has built up over the last few years, and it just keeps intensifying because any criticism is viewed as more "evidence" that the Rockets are not getting respect.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This isn't true. I'm tired of people saying this. Just because there is whining about how a team or player is perceived in the media doesn't mean fans don't want a championship. Just because fans want Harden recognized doesn't mean they want the MVP more than a championship! It's such a tired talking point that isn't remotely true. It's not generational thing, it's bullsh**t.

YOU CAN HAVE AND WANT BOTH!

Pen15clubber and DonKnock like this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's feedback on CFers. It doesn't have to do with game action or roster moves. Maybe the Hangout would be better? Eh. I still think this is the right place for it.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Dream didn’t care social media

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I care what Clutch says not Stephen A Smith or Max Kellerman
    That’s why I’m on ClutchFans

The summit or once summit of pure Rockets fandom

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not sure if Sensitive is the right word, but yes, it has always been this way.
    1. Started with the Asterisk (and Knicks SI Cover), which was B.C. (Before Clutch)
    2. then a media darling #33 saying Houston sucks and forcing a trade. He actually tossed the city under the bus, partly because he got that DUI for driving the wrong way downtown,,, I.D.I.O.T.
    3. then the Era of Moochie with Rudy making a mockery of the Illegal Defense rules and the media and league office hating our offense because of it
    4. Then the media hating JVG's defense and NY media still having a bad taste in their mouths towards him (and vice-versa)
    5. Then the early treatment of Yao Ming
    6. Then the quiet years where we couldn't understand why Kevin Martin wasn't in the all star game, lulz
    7. Finally back to the playoffs, but Beverley taking out Westbrook was a big oops to winning any media gold stars
    8. Then the LA media carrying over their resentment to Dwight leaving
    9. Then Harden leading league in free throws, "flopping" mixed with the media loving to create drama around Dwight Howard and Khloe
    10. And rarely heard from Tad Brown actually stood up to TNT Inside the NBA, so it's hard for fans to not follow that lead
    11. Followed by Barkley admitting to some bias,,,I mean, I love Barkley, but that is pretty much CFnet Blackboard Material that will fester for quite some time
    12. And despite the COTY award, many purist in the media always ike to see the extreme offenses fail, combined with natural contrarian backlash when something like Morey-ball and analytics becomes a media hit, and some NY and LA media got used to saying MDA failed in their small towns so any new success needs to be a fluke
    13. And somewhere in there was the LOFs resentment to Harden not letting Linsanity happen, so they created the Haren vid that the LA media ate up.
    That said, ppl who whine about whining are reading the wrong threads for their own good. There is a TON of great stuff out there, no where else on the Internet, and all fan sites suck compared to this, and @DonKnock is keeping the Gane Threads in line like never before.

I'm serious :cool:

#13 heypartner, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Deckard, durvasa and DonKnock like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't even know what that part means.

Regardless your props to @DonKnock gave me an idea. Should I emulate him and quote some who cry over fake slights they create out of their paranoia? But who am I kidding, I'm not going to waste my time on that.

For me, the anger over made-up conspiracies makes the GARM less than it ought to be. But if most people like that stuff then I s'pose I could just keep quiet.

Also I did lol at #8 :D

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I know of national writer from another board that has posted on multiple occasions that he wants Harden to die, death, killed, murdered because of perceived flopping.

If you think this is some kind of game you’re wrong. They do not like Harden.

heypartner likes this.
  16. heypartner

Just mean, I've learned to avoid some stuff in my life like 9/11 conspiracies and SAS yelling over Skip, so strive to stay out of Rockets/Harden media conspiracies, unless we can make them funny like Flat-Earth Truthers

"for my own good"

Haymitch likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

These are the same people who made Rob Kardasian and Blac Chyna famous

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who is this national writer?

19. heypartner

doesn't matter

It is one thing to deny media conspiracies and try to refute them, but to deny there are members of the media who "hate" Harden is ruhdiculous. I mean, you do accept the fact that Skip Bayless "hated" Lebron James for years...or at least played that role for us, because he knew it would generate fans for himself.

Same here....there are a ton of fans who hate Harden, so media ppl who are "smart" like Bayless will be their voice. Let's not be so naive to believe that everyone in the sports media is objective.

but back on topic:

How's this different than other years of the GARM? From my seats, both the positive talk and the negative talk of the Rockets seem increased in their usual ratios. As he does with the Rockets, the Harden tide raises all boats.

I mean, the sensitivity towards Yao Ming was pretty huge, even JVG got in on it to the tune of $150k.

Houston fans have been saying Houston gets no respect for decades...as I summarized. I wouldn't say it's intensified so much as there are more members on this bbs wanting to express themselves in an age of social media, and there is a Ton more to talk about, because Harden cannot be ignored. And, negativity always rules the day on the Internet, because Sunshine Happiness doesn't sprout arguments.

But, I could be totally wrong, and our normal ratio of positiveness to whining is out of whack, and I'm just reading the wrong threads for my own good....:D ... after all, people tell me the Internet in General seems to have intensified it's whining over the last 12 months. :eek::rolleyes:

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't most marquee players have some haters in the media?

It is true that Harden has not been an endearing star by and large. I live outside of Houston. So I know first hand how much other teams' fans hate Harden. But we do the same with Kobe, LeBron, Durant, Curry, etc. It's the nature of sports fandom.

Anyway, I've always felt that the perception of media conspiracy is the same kind of thing as the perception of officiating conspiracy. Fans of EVERY team always feel that their team is being targeted by unfair officiating.