1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The Rockets have possibly the WORST practice facility in the league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 16, 2018.

1. bmd

bmd Member

It's not even a facility. It's a single, tightly-fitted court inside the Toyota Center. Every team in the league is building stand-alone, state-of-the-art practice facilities with multiple courts so that there is more room to split up players and work on different things at the same time. It makes practice time more efficient.

Here are the practice facilities of every team in the West:

Golden State:
    [​IMG]

Portland:
    [​IMG]

Oklahoma City:
    [​IMG]

Utah:
    [​IMG]

New Orleans:
    [​IMG]

San Antonio:
    [​IMG]

Minnesota:
    [​IMG]

LA Clippers:
    [​IMG]

LA Lakers:
    [​IMG]

Sacramento:
    [​IMG]

Dallas:
    [​IMG]

Memphis:
    [​IMG]

The only two not pictured are Denver and Phoenix, which have a facility similar to the Rockets'.

..... continued in next post.

2. bmd

bmd Member

The East might have even better facilities...

Toronto:
    [​IMG]

Boston:
    [​IMG]

Philadelphia:
    [​IMG]

Cleveland:
    [​IMG]

Indiana:
    [​IMG]

Milwaukee:
    [​IMG]

Washington:
    [​IMG]

Detroit (opening soon):
    [​IMG]

New York:
    [​IMG]

Brooklyn:
    [​IMG]

Chicago:
    [​IMG]

Atlanta:
    [​IMG]

So Miami, Orlando, and Charlotte have single-court practice venues.

So in the entire NBA, only Denver, Phoenix, Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, and Houston don't have brand new multiple court practice facilities. And of those, Houston's has the least amount of space. The walls are right up against the court. It's bad.

In the arms race that is the NBA, Houston needs a new practice facility. For a franchise that prides itself at being on the cutting edge, they've fallen way behind when it comes to their practice facility. It's like a high school auxiliary gym.

[​IMG]

#2 bmd, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  3. bmd

bmd Member

I mean, look at Boston's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If you want this fixed , the only solution is for all of us to eat at Landry's everyday .

Haven't you heard ?? Tillman is in financial trouble

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

WE TALKIN' 'BOUT PRACTICE!?

You are correct, but as long as the Rockets have basketballs and 10 ft rims does it matter? The pics of the other practice facilities are cool to see.

Eat at Landry's guys.. Tilman is broke.

#5 DreamShook, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wasn’t Tilman talking about building a new practice facility in the near future?

i3artow i3aller, JuNx and DaonlyLA like this.
  7. bmd

bmd Member

I believe he mentioned it over a year ago. But I haven't heard anything about any kind of progress.

dachuda86 likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is a good topic for 1 of our media guys to ask him about the next time he’s available at a press conference

if the Pelicans and Thunder have a better practice facility than u do then that’s not a good look

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I thought their was talk of Tilman working on a new practice facility? Supposedly somewhere outside of the downtown area

edit: nvm this was addressed.

10. Cdub37

Cdub37 Member

Maybe Tillman could convert an old Joe's Crabshack that's been closed down into a practice facility. There's certainly enough of this around town. Awesome job on pulling all the practice facilities. The Rockets one looks like a local church gym.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Yeah, I was surprised when I saw the Pelicans facility. It's one of the reasons that sparked me to make this thread. I was born in New Orleans and have friends who are Pelicans fans, and we were talking basketball and they showed me a picture of the practice facility. It's pretty nice... especially for a small market, dysfunctional team like the Pelicans. And it was finished back in 2014. So they've been practicing here for 4 years, which means it probably took a couple years at least of planning and construction. So it's probably been in the works since 2012 or longer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

1) Ugly gyms produce better athletes than pretty gyms, in my anecdotal experience.

2) We outperformed all 29 other teams, have been good at developing players and never looked like we're not prepared for a game. I don't see the problem honestly. Is there any link at all between an expensive looking facility and a non-expensive looking one?

3) If you ask me, some of those teams would have been better off putting that money towards luxury tax or buying 2nd round picks. I would rather we get new f'ing jerseys or give free tickets for red rowdies to get closer to the court.

4) Don't be surprised if we have more invested in trainers and equipment than everyone else. Management is smart that way.

13. bmd

bmd Member

No, I don't believe nicer facilities make better basketball players just like I don't believe nicer schools make better students. But it could lead to some more efficient practices. I've also heard that some players like to go into the gym late at night and get some shots up. The problem with the practice center being at Toyota Center is that when there is an event going on like a concert, players can't get to the gym like they'd like to.

With a practice facility, players can come and go as they please any time.

Also, it's a good look for your franchise when you invest in things for your players.

14. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

You just got done saying that our practice facility is attached to the Toyota center. The majority of the time throughout the NBA season during practice the main court within the stadium be intact. If they want a second court, in all likelihood they have that option. It's just not going to be in the same room.

roslolian likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

larry legend practiced on a homemade hoop nailed to the top of a barn/garage with a grass and gravel surface, and he turned out okay

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Small but fine?

CriscoKidd likes this.
  17. Know Your Role

Don't you hear Les Alexander's chuckle when you look at that picture?

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

It's better to have than not to have if money is no object. To me, I don't want to give Tilman any excuses to hide behind. If he's going to drop a hunk of cash for an asset that is difficult to monetize, I'd tell him to hold on to his money and hope we land someone to pay the luxury tax for. A championship will cover the cost of a practice facility a few times over I think.

hakeem94 and da_juice like this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Tillman is in financial trouble he can't afford to build a state of the art practice facility

Der Rabbi and dachuda86 like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member