1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Beavis Stiffler

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/91qT-AOKh_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EyZ_6W-k9Zg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B9jlR5p8E9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ac5e8KqX_Fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=2d940881487848159b3b99a3ae8125b9&ec=d4MDdwczrfCdv2sJkusQZOCLH06qeVN8"></script>

2. Beavis Stiffler

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2015-mls-season-guide/city/Houston

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What is the starting 11 gonna look like on Saturday when the season starts?

I assume Raul Rodriguez is gonna be paired with Jermaine Taylor on the back line. Midfield the same. Is Bruin still up front? I'm hoping Alex can maybe prove himself ahead of Bruin before Torres returns.

Either way, I think this team improved a lot in the offseason. They addressed pretty much everything we have all wanted except for maybe a CAM. If Taylor comes back to form, I am having more confidence in the back line and that will key this year and they finally spent money on a scorer. Also looking for Barnes to continue on his tear he started last seasons.

4. Beavis Stiffler

I predict a 4-5-1 formation:

Barnes

Davis - Boniek - Miranda

Clark - Garrido

Beasley - Taylor - Raul - Sarkodie

Deric

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I still think Boniek is better suited out on the right. Allows him to run the flank with a little more space to run at defenders...especially with the wider field this season.

6. leroy

Anyone watching on Uverse not have any sound?

7. Beavis Stiffler

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z7tG-6uX8Z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tyler Deric is the Man of the Match. He was in beast mode by making some of those great saves.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TREfThauSOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Beavis Stiffler

9. leroy

Great way to start the season. Deric was definitely the player of the game with his saves. Some observations...

1. Deric was good but was also out of position on a few occasions, which was my concern when he took over last season. He gets lost on crosses at times.

2. Central defense was terrible in the air. Simply terrible. Kamara is going to win balls but there were way too many chances with no pressure. Taylor and Raul looked good when the ball was in front of them but have to do better in the air. Clark and Garrido were solid in the middle but need to get more involved going forward. They were getting too deep and not able to help move the ball out of the back, forcing clearances when there were probably opportunities to maintain possession.

3. Sarkodie looked very good, even after taking the knock to the head. The goal was his doing. I like seeing the outside backs attacking more though it seemed Beasley waited until late in the game to really start making runs. When he did, it created a lot. He needs to do it more over the full 90...but that could've been more about fitness and wanting to make sure he could go 90.

4. It's official. Will Bruin has pictures of Chris Cannetti doing something bad. It's the only logical reason why he continues to get minutes as a professional soccer player. Either that or he is the most amazing practice player in history. In the actual game, he is lost, out of position and couldn't make a touch to save his life. The offense was much better once he was pulled and Barnes went upfront alone.

5. Coyle is going to have a great problem when Torres is here and he has to decide between him and Barnes. I think Barnes is going to have a better season than 2014. One of the most important things for a forward to have is a confidence in his game and Barnes has it right now. He can take on players and play with his back to goal. His finish was fantastic and more difficult than it looked.

6. Loved what Leonel Miranda brought to the game when he came in. The only problem I saw was that it forced Boniek inside and he was less effective. He has to be more of a 1-touch player in the middle and that is not his game. There were a few times where he received the pass and had opportunities to play it quick into space and he dribbled into trouble instead.

I'm not convinced they're back, yet. The West is going to be very tough and I'm concerned about playing teams that are strong in the air. I'm also concerned about scoring enough if Bruin is going to continue to get significant minutes. 1 goal isn't going to be enough in a conference that has LA, Seattle and RSL. There is real potential, though, once they all get on the same page. I'm really excited to see what Barnes is capable of with a full season at forward...and to see what happens when we get Torres.

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Are we going to be good? That's a lot of changes. Is Cubo a game changer? How big was his signing?

11. leroy

It's definitely a work in progress. I think Cubo is a game changer. It allows Barnes to play his more natural position behind the forward (though I think he's going to do well as the point man) and is someone that will have to be accounted for, opening up space for others. I think you'll see a much more dynamic offense when he gets here.

1 person likes this.
  12. Beavis Stiffler

Wow. This crowd in Orlando is amazing.:eek:

If their attendance keeps up consistently, they can be up there on Seattle's level.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I love football but I can't stop myself to watch the MLS having followed and closely watched the EPL, UEFA CL and other leagues across Europe for years including several games at Old Trafford. The quality just isn't there.

I'd go watch 2-3 Dynamos game a season live at the stadium just for the atmosphere but it's a pain watching the MLS on TV having followed leagues of far superior quality.

Maybe it's just me...

14. leroy

It certainly is. There is absolutely no one that harbors any illusion that the MLS is on the level of the EPL or La Liga or the Bundesliga. Anyone that says the MLS is on that level is crazy.

I presume you are an American or at least it appears you live in the US. If everyone had the attitude you have, the MLS would already be dead. Luckily, there are millions of us who can actually appreciate both. Why can't you do both? If you would watch, you'd see that the gap, while still significant, is closing. The soccer is getting better every season. The US born players, with the ability to play in the youth academies now, are better from a younger age. Foreign born players aren't only coming here to retire any more. There are players coming over at younger ages that had opportunities to play elsewhere. The money is getting better as the league grows. As the money gets better, the quality gets better. Sky Sports and Eurosport in Europe are going to be showing MLS games in England and across the continent.

I've played and watched the game my entire life. Still working on a plan today to go watch Man U vs Arsenal this afternoon with some friends. I'm going to the Dynamo game on Friday and am pretty excited at the chance to see Kaka. I am happy that they will be on Root Sports and with the national tv coverage. I don't understand why people can't do both. The MLS games aren't televised at the same time so it's not like you have to choose. I think if you watch, you'll be surprised at how much improvement there has been. Before you do though, try your best to remember what the league is and just watch some soccer...try not to do the whole soccer snobbery bulls*** that so many do.

1 person likes this.
  15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was a really nice goal by Barnes. I agree with leroy: how is Bruin still playing soccer?

On general MLS notes, the games yesterday were a lot of fun. Three raucous home games in Orlando, Kansas City and Seattle were great signs for the league. I was really worried the Orlando/NYC game would end 0-0, so I'm glad there were goals for the 60,000+ people there. Both teams, aside from Kaká, David Villa and Mix, looked very much like expansion teams.

This Seattle goal yesterday was also a thing of beauty:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LDRadGVr764" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

It's not just you but unfortunately it's a terrible attitude and it isn't one that is unique to Americans in regard to European footy and MLS. Too many African countries have that same attitude and problem and that's why a number of African domestic leagues are in the toilet. You see so many fans that would rather only support Arsenal or Chelsea or Man United but forget they can support the Euro team and their domestic team and league. It's about supporting and growing the game in your country.
    One can support both the domestic league in their country while acknowledging its inferiority and still supporting other foreign leagues.
    It's a process dude. Try to show love to the league and watch it keep growing stronger.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Saw the highlights and I thought I saw a much better pace by the new coach and some of the same players. It's still a bit slow. Won't be able to hang with the big dogs like the Sounders or the L.A. Gals... but it's good to see the change. Glad we're off on the right foot. :cool:

LOLs. It's not you at all. Watch SOUTH AMERICAN and even some MEXICAN league games on Univision and Telemundo and they're a lot more entertaining. :)

Watch how the EURO and LATIN AMERICAN leagues' players do first-touch for almost everything and are on the space a lot faster than the MLS players. The style is a lot different because the MLS's players almost ALWAYS stop the ball and look to pass, and no team will ever do 'tiki-taka' at all, and also not a lot of switching field passes, and almost no through balls. Watch this from now on, man. :eek:

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member