1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA Storyteller- Kawhi's escape from the Spurs' Cult

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swiss Roll, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

A bit long, but probably the best breakdown of the Spurs organization and the Leonard Saga i've seen.

Feeling really bad for DeMar right now.

#1 Swiss Roll, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well then... :eek:

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. wesbound

wesbound Member

This guy has a pretty sick mind to come up with this sh*t himself. lol

Mr. Turbo likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

I was thinking as soon as I saw that photo that it's probably a very nice made up story by a nerd who has too much time on his hands.

dkim1984 and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Not going to deny that, but I can't think of a team that employed so many deviants (Duncan, Parker) and scoundrels (Bowen, Jackson, Horry, Manu(?)) without being the most reviled organization in the sport, instead being the most loved by the media. Relying entirely on desperate d-leaguers and old men, along with a horde of impressionable foreigners, even going as far as to give up quality young talent for not conforming. While I don't think the video should be taken word for word, Pop's military-esque methods, him ordering the entire team to bash Leonard to the media, and uncontrolled hubris (Taking out Tim Duncan on the final possession in regulation of game 6 of the 2013 finals) all seem to imply that Pop is a bit of a megalomaniac.

6. Mr Chuck Norris

Wow... I watched that entire thing....

BigSherv and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  7. jogo

jogo Member

I watched it. It was a bit over the top, but made some good points. Pops is pretty controlling and did take the Kawhi situation personally. And it does seem like he limits his players individuality (and marketability).

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

any summary from anyone? I watched the first 3-4 minutes but it just seemed like it was taking forever to warm up. didn't go any further with it

TheRealAllpro and Ziggy like this.
  9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

[​IMG]

So, basically the Spurs are kind like a mix of current Patriots (w/o the cheating) and the old Raiders from 70s/80s

10. jcf

jcf Member

Horry? Scoundrel?

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Waiting for a Tinman response, especially to the T-Mac portion.

12. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

He hip-checked Steve Nash into the scorers table during the final seconds of game 4 of the WCF ,which they lost, under Pop's orders to either injure nash and/or encite a bench clearing to abuse the NBA's policy on bench-clearing to get Amare' and Boris Diaw suspended for game 5 in Phoenix with the series tied up 2-2. A game the spurs won by THREE POINTS.

It don't get much worse than that.

#12 Swiss Roll, Aug 16, 2018
    BigO, jcf and napalm06 like this.
  13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

But, the old Raiders needing a father figure or someone who can tell them, to "...shut up, b*tch."

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That series was super-rigged. I put it right up there with Lakers-Kings and Rockets-Mavs 2005.

On a more related note, anything that starts with "The UGLY truths..." immediately reads like clickbait and I have a really hard time expecting it to be anything more than TMZ-level tabloids.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Can't believe I'm in before @heypartner.

This is exactly the type of video I would expect @Swiss Roll to post. He loves conspiracy.

#15 DreamShook, Aug 16, 2018
    Little Bit likes this.
  16. jcf

jcf Member

Thanks. I just watched it and it looked terrible. Also, great video. Did find this (fwiw -- maybe I just hate thinking poorly of Horry):

Most NBA fans know the story by now. Game 4 of the 2007 Western Conference semis between the Spurs and the Suns ... the top-seeded Mavericks had been upset in the first round and a young LeBron James was about to tear through the Eastern Conference apart to reach his first NBA Finals. In retrospect, the winner of the San Antonio-Phoenix series was going to decide that season's champion.

Nash is dribbling up the court when Robert Horry gives him a hip check into the scorer's table. Players from both teams get into it while replay video catches Amar'e Stoudemire and Boris Diaw leaving the bench. At the time, the NBA was making leaving the bench during scuffles a point of emphasis and suspended Diaw and Stoudemire one game during a crucial point in the playoffs.

The Suns won Game 4, but lost Game 5 without Stoudemire and had to go back to San Antonio for Game 6. The Spurs won the series and the title, their third in five seasons. One of the league's most influential teams lost its best chance at a title because of this. Bell went into detail on the whole thing on the Off The Bench podcast with Kanell and Bell where he revealed the real kicker in all of this. According to Raja, Nash flopped.

Don't know how to post link to podcast. Sorry.

D-rock likes this.
  17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Don't agree with everything in the video, but the topic about the Spurs cult popped again.

18. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Attempting to injure someone only for the target to fake the severity of the hit doesn't exonerate the perpetrator.

Even then, that doesn't excuse the NBA suspending Stat and Draw for standing up while letting Duncan do the same with no consequence.

19. jcf

jcf Member

Not arguing with you. Just found it interesting. If true, the flop might have contributed to his teammates reacting.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yet another wrong fact by Cowherd. He said Kawhi was youngest Finals MVP ever at age 22,,,,

Cowherd, so sigh, how can someone your age forget Magic scoring 42 against the 76ers in Game 6 playing center to replace Jabber -- AS A ROOKIE!!!

Magic -- Age 20 -- NBA Finals MVP

adoo, Vivi, don grahamleone and 9 others like this.