1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Machine Gun Preacher

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Jul 16, 2010.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Anybody ever heard of this guy? Rev. Sam Childers?

He was a drug dealing biker with The Outlaws motorcycle gang - became a born again Christian in 1990 & now runs an orphanage in Sudan. He basically rescues children who were kidnapped or maimed by the LRA and brings them back to the orphanage to live. He and his group have saved or helped over 1,000 children. The LRA has put a price on his head.

For those who don't know - the LRA routinely kidnaps young boys and forces them to be a part of their army. They often kill the parents, rape the daughters and cut off body parts (breasts, arms, legs) of survivors in order to intimidate people. In 1 month last year, the LRA killed almost 700 people. Their leader Joseph Kony, trained with Bin Laden and is considered the most cruel terrorist in the world (according to the UN).

Evidently, Gerard Butler is going to play Pastor Childers in a movie. - This man is truly a hero.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sMdsD00U23g&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sMdsD00U23g&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. runamok

runamok Member

that video represents heaven and hell on earth, thanks......

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is a nightmare for the children of Northern Uganda. desperately needs to be put to an end.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JOrzBOauLyo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JOrzBOauLyo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

4. ThaRed

ThaRed Member

Dang, we watched a whole documentary on that in my World Geography class. I was totally taken aback. Certainly don't take many things for granted anymore..

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I hadn't seen that - thanks for sharing MM. Joseph Kony definitely needs to be taken out.

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Thanks for posting all this info. I've never heard about Kony training with Bin Laden. Could you provide some more information and/or links on that? Is this is a fact or is it speculation on the part of the "machine gun preacher" as a way to try and get western govts and media interested in the conflict in Uganda? Any evidence would be appreciated and I'd be interested in reading up on it, because from what I understand Kony and the LRA are a Christian terrorist organization (i.e. They fight in the name of Christianity and are classified as a terrorist org). It's unfortunate that more international media attention isn't directed towards the plight of the people, especially the children, in northern Uganda.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Thanks for sharing this.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I must apologize - it says he trained in the same training camps in sudan as Bin Laden..not With Bin Laden. Sorry for the poor choice of words. As far as being a Christian Terrorist, most Christians consider him a Cult if anything. More like using Gods name to justify his horrific power grab. Like Jim Jones X100.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/believeitornot/2010/10/katy_church_hosts_former_child_1.html

Katy church hosts former child-soldiers from Uganda

Former Ugandan child-soldiers visited a church in Katy on Sunday as a part of their U.S. tour to raise awareness about the violent, tragic conditions in their home country.

At Kingsland Baptist, the 40-person crew shared their stories through dance and drama, highlighting Uganda's struggle with HIV/AIDs, abandoned women and children and government instability.

The country, which borders Sudan, has become home to rival militias and refugees. In the past several years, the war has displaced 2 million Ugandans.

The Restore Tour aims to offer restoration and renewal by caring for the women and children affected by the ongoing violence. Churches have partnered with the group and other ministries in Uganda, where 84 percent of the population is Christian.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QboP3bHXKzw?hd=1#t=0m10s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Wow. I was only peripherally aware of atrocities like these in Africa, but this is the first time I have truly learned the full extent of how bad things can get.

Amazing story and person.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Thanks for posting this Commodore - I've been waiting for a while for this trailer. For a preacher, Sam is still very rough around the edges, but you've really got admire what he does. - a True hero indeed.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

True one in a million person. Not many like that anymore.

14. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I first learned about the problems in Sudan when I wrote a paper about child soldiers during my first semester of college in fall '06. From there I watched the documentary Invisible Children and it will really open your eyes to how bad things are over in the Sudan/Uganda region. This thread is actually the first time I've heard of Sam Childers because I never researched much into the resistance against the LRA but more about the LRA itself and it's horrific acts against children. Probably going to pick up the book this preacher wrote in the next few days, just to get a clear view of his perspective of what is going on.

Such a sad heart-wrenching war that the innocent children over there are forced to live through each and every day. :(

15. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Ironically, say what you will about Tmac, but his efforts and charity in Sudan/Uganda (I forgot which one specifically) helped made me aware of things like this actually does happen.

This guy does it on a whole other level though