1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Melo had the wrong attitude in OKC and HOU... don't care what anyone says. He wasn't trying to do anything more than just shoot. That's why Morey and every other GM still to this day would pick Gary Clark over him. Melo doesn't do the little things... still too much pride and the skill has diminished. Now he has nothing else to sell because he has always rode on just his gifts not any grit.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for popping back on the board @Codman! Don't be a stranger in these parts!

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Huh? No idea what that has to do with this. So he’s gonna post a 30 mins vid on IG o_O

4. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Rivers was very good defensively. Plus Melo played how many games?

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

+1.

Repost from another thread:

The issue is not that he can't contribute. The issue is that what he thinks he can contribute and what NBA teams think he can contribute are too different. You think he will sit still on a bench and play 15 minutes a game? No. He wants to be play 30 mins and score 30 points. You would think he would embrace a role where he can be the 6th man like Eric Gordon or Lou Williams. NOOO. That's too demeaning for him. He is Carmelo Anthony! NBA Superstar.

This was just 2 seasons ago:
    Anthony obviously didn't waive his no-trade clause to end up in a situation where he wasn't having his needs met and one of those needs involves high volume of minutes. So when he was asked on media day about the possibility of coming off the bench, Anthony couldn't help but begin to laugh.
    "Who me? I don't know where that started where that came from. Hey P (Paul George) they said I gotta come off the bench."

As a NBA player who was a primary option for a long time, you have two choices when it comes to the later parts of your career. Either retire and go out when you don't want to be a bench player, or embrace a new role. Carmelo is not doing either. And thus he is not on a team.

Conspiracy theory: you don't think other NBA execs have reached out to Morey to see why carmelo was let go?

fckbandwagons and FrontRunner like this.
  6. Red Nation RGV

Lots of pages to go through so someone may have already posted this but this right here could have been the start to the CP3-Harden supposed problems. I can't see James having an issue with it and effecting him later but I could with CP3.

topfive and hakeem94 like this.
  7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

In his prime, Melo was never what I consider a legit first-tier superstar like Harden, Durant, Lebron, Jordan or Kobe. He was more of an elite, second-tier type like Scottie Pippen, Steph Curry or Dwayne Wade, who received first-tier level attention and then some because he played in the nation's largest media network for much of his career. While that was great for him and his wallet back in the day, it's unfortunate now because he can't come close to living up to those expectations like he once could and he doesn't seem to understand it.

I think he hurt his chances of playing somewhere this year by complaining and he would've been better off just saying he had moved on... the Rockets stuff was all water under the bridge, etc. Franchises just don't want chemistry issues or drama from a guy in his mid-thirties.

If he keeps quiet, keeps his body in shape and is open to not playing some nights someone might take a chance on him in a few months. In other words, he needs to give up thinking he's a superstar and be humble. If he's unwilling to do that he should go overseas somewhere where he can play a big role and act the superstar.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dwyane Wade was a Superstar in my books, he was 6'4, didn't have the best combine, lengths and so on but he was amazing before and during his prime.

Was too short but darn good. During his era, a shooting guard wasn't supposed to distribute the ball that well, it wasn't his fault, the NBA just evolved.

FrontRunner likes this.
  9. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

That's fair. I can see your point. He seems like a solid person too.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Tilman and morey are posibly goat duo....courageos bold and knowlegeable
    They even dared to question adam silver after game 1 vs gsw and offered mathematical proofs and we got fair officiating afterwards
    who does that?
    only the best

11. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I do subscribe to the conspiracy theory that Bzdelik was only coming back if Melo was never going to play for him and Morey/Tillman had to make a choice sooner rather than later. The timing of events match perfectly and would certainly explain why Melo was booted so soon after 10 games.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

This is a screen grab from the beginning of that video:
    PSX_20190804_171321.jpg
    If someone tells you then that one of these guys will be on the Rockets a year later, who would you have thought it would be? :D

#292 topfive, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pippen, Curry and Wade are/were all better than Melo. Easily.

14. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

The point I'm trying to make is Melo was overrated, even in his prime. And the expectations some have for him at this stage of his career are completely unrealistic.

Whatever people here think of him, I hope they'll remember that he wanted to play here. Things didn't go as planned, but that doesn't mean people have to hate him either.

15. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Sorry 10 games is what you might give someone out of the g league.... they didn’t give this a real shot IMO. You just cannot convince me was cut simply for his play. Something else was going on here.

16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

"I felt like I was fired"

yeah. cause you were

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

"Melo?"

"Nope"

"PAUL GEORGE?!?!"

"nah"

"...shieeet"

topfive likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He started his Hoodie Melo brand back then.

19. JW86

JW86 Member

To me, that is the exactly why the criticism of signing Melo in the first place is legit, even at the minimum. Not letting him go, that part was like a prayer being answered. Morey should've known what he was getting with Melo and still went out in public as if he just completed a move for the missing player. OKC did the same, but that was a bit more understandable given nobody knew what he could outside of NY. New place, new beginning, though I never wanted any part of Melo. Not that first time with the trophy, still the most embarrassing moment of Morey's tenure, not when he was with the Knicks and definitely not after seeing his stint in OKC. @Codman dropping some knowledge, makes a lot of sense what you're saying.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't think he's overrated, at least by me; he just wasn't properly handled in Houston. I was glad he was gone because it wasn't working. That doesn't mean he was useless.

It's the same thing with CP3. If we could have somehow mitigated his massive contract AND brought in another all-star, he would have been the third option.

daywalker02 likes this.