1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lakers are the early favorites to win 2019-20 NBA Title

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jun 14, 2019.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

Never underestimate the heart of a 'if it wasn't for refs and injuries we maybe would advance to finals 2 years ago and be champion if we won 4 games against potential GOAT'!

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Refs affect the game, and it’s an empirical truth that certain refs are biased.

It isn’t going away, regardless of how far you stick your head in the sand.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Uncle 'What If' is undefeated!

bmelo likes this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

In my lifetime I don't recall a team like the GS Warriors who had All-Stars at every position and some on the bench. Even the classic Celtics didn't have that level of talent. Those Celtics were so dominant that I am sure other teams felt some degree of hopelessness, but with GS there has been a huge sense of inequity throughout the league. Lakers with Davis will be much, much better but they will still not be like a "fully loaded" G.S.

lw17 likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It was actually pretty obvious that the Warriors were getting the benefit of the calls in the Finals. They were just the obviously better and deeper team due to the injuries the Warriors had, though.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Disagree.

26 year old Lebron > 35 year old Lebron
    29 year old Wade > Kyrie
    Chris Bosh < Anthony Davis BUT Bosh wasn't so injury prone at that time.

The Miami Heat Big Three struggled to adjust to playing with one another that year and eventually got beaten by Dirk's Mavs with no other stars and just a better sense of who they were.

Even if the Lakers add Kyrie they may disappoint. Don't be shocked if Lebron breaks down. Not many guys remain durable at this age.

lw17, BigShasta and Sajan like this.
  7. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Yet they got all the way to the championship that year. You’re right Lebron was younger and I would take Wade over Kyrie but next year with GS losing KD and Klay, with the Rockets in “turmoil”, with the ability of the Lakers to add another star in Kemba Walker, Kyrie, or Kawhi even, and a much healthier Lebron (with managed minutes), the Lakers should be the favorites. This year is the most wide open it’s been in a while. They have a really good shot at adding another superstar. The Rockets don’t have that luxury. The Warriors don’t either especially if the rumors are true and they plan on offering maxes to KD and Klay this summer.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Am I the only one who believes 33 yr old Lebron was phenomenal in 2018, last year?

I think he was about the same or better than 26 yr old Lebron.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Warriors were favorites until Klay got the ACL injury

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lakers will always be a team I don't want to see get anymore glory years, just like Golden State. We need to sign a top tier forward to up our competitive edge in the Westl.

lw17, Tristan_fiore and BaselineFade like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Certain refs are biased so don't you think some refs will be biased for the Rockets as well?

Every human being is biased, we have our own ego and limited viewpoints. It won't go away but at the same time unless there is some conspiracy that targets only the Houston Rockets then ref bias is just variance and evens out over time.

If you think it won't go away then what's the point of complaining about it? LOL! Raptors who belongs to a different freaking country just won a championship over the ultimate Glitz and Glamor team. If they can win vs "ref bias" why can't the Rockets?

sw847 likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah defense def took a deep dive and so did overall play. Let's not forget almost all his draftmates like Melo, Dwade and Bosh are retired or washed up. Father Time is unbeatable even if you are Lebron so his game has def dipped 26 yr old Lebron would score 40 a night in today's NBA.

With that said everybody should brace for the return of the King next season. Lakers can have a frontcourt of AD, Kuzma, Bron and sign somebody like Kemba Walker for the scoring load.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok so if it was so "obvious" how come nobody launched a complaint against the NBA? You think all the NBA analysts, podcasts etc just turn a blind eye to all the ref bias or what? Bill Simmons isnt a celtics fan, he is just a GSW nuthugger and loves all the ref bias. Stephen A claims he is a knicks lifer but really he worships the ground Curry walks on lol. C'mon man, Spurs were a dynasty if refs didn't affect them it doesn't affect the Rockets too.

At the end of the day Raps won because they don't rely on the refs. They don't even think about the refs you never hear a complaint or even a comment about the refs. That's because ref complaints are just a distraction, if you are all about the refs you lose sight of what you need to do to win. Cp3 was too busy sticking his butt out for a foul call he forgot shooting the ball is the best way to get points.

lw17 likes this.
  14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Huh? Bias is not an equal variance in any subject matter, even in the absolute best of circumstances. Electric bias requires a dc offset, for instance. That’s where bias comes from. It moves the entire sample set, it doesn’t magically average out over time. That’s why we call it ref bias instead of ref variance.

Even if you aren’t a conspiracy theorist, it’s pretty undeniable the refs are more likely to miss 3 point shooting continuation fouls than other fouls. There’s mountains of evidence in favor of that conclusion if you want to look. Guess who has the most 3 point and 1’s? The rockets.

So, negative bias exists for the rockets, even if the league wasn’t motivated to advance golden state, the league’s cash cow (an extremely bold claim on your part)

It won’t go away because people like you who don’t understand basic distributions or how biases work shut down people that try to complain about it and fix it.

You don’t need to be a conspiracy theorist for ref bias to be true, you just need a basic statistics education. It’s people that don’t understand the difference between bias and variance that typically defend the league’s actions, and apparently, you’re no exception.

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I wish you could buy sports puts...I'd be all over that one. Does adding AD to a mediocre team that already has a good center suddenly vault them past all the other good teams in the West?

For starters, I would think it would be wise to have more than 6 players to make a deep run in the playoffs. :) Yes, they will fill those slots, but this ranking seems to assume adding another superstar. First, that ain't happening (not enough cap space), second, if it did, it would mean that everyone reading this would be in consideration for the remaining 8 roster spots, as they'd have zero cap space to fill them.

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

truthfully, that's a good bet. They may not make it, but 10-1 seems awfully high. Ask anyone on the Warriors which team they were most concerned with in the West....

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Your entire argument hinges on the fact that every single ref in the NBA has bias against the Rockets and there are 0 refs that dont favor the Rockets. Thats where your conspiracy theory comes in and why you think there is no variance.

If refs are most likely to miss 3 pt continuation fouls then what does that make Golden State Warriors? They are among the most 3 pt heavy teams in the league along with the Rockets. Oh but wait, according to you its a bold claim that the league doesn't brazenly favor GSW I guess they are exempt to all these 3 pt continuation calls right? If its GSW the refs make all the right 3 pt continuation calls but if its the Rox they miss it is that right? Didnt the Bucks and Raptors get a better record than GSW? How did that happen I thought GSW was the NBA's golden child? And didnt Raptors just win a ring omg impossible right?

LOL I know the diff between variance and bias, but apparently you don't. Talking about basic statistics education my education is probably more advanced than yours I got a CFA and a Masters degree so stfu about your statistics education. Its not even relevant to the discussion first of all you havent even proved there is bias against the Rockets vs every other team in the league. There are def refs who are biased against the Rox but you havent proved there arent refs who are biased for the Rox, a couple refs dont mean anything if they are isolated incidents. If you can show me a list of all the ref erroneous calls vs the Rockets vs the wrong calls of other teams and we see a huge disparity then ok you got a point. But with 0 data or work done other than your feelings what exactly do you expect to happen with your complaining?

If you think the league is rigged then don't freaking watch it, its that simple. I stopped watching WWE since I discovered it was fake. You don't even know what the problem is how are you gonna solve it? Baseless and circle jerk complaints wont change anything the NBA doesnt revolve around CF.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Warriors arent relevant anymore lol Lakers are the big dog now the Rox have to beat.

Surprisingly after all this time the East now looks stronger than the West, at least the top 4 teams anyway.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

AD + LBJ + Kuzma + ... literally nobody, is not the big dog. It's a little yapper dog that might grow into a big dog.

Yes! When was the last time the East was the stronger conference? The 90's? Not even then?

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Warriors have better odds than the Rockets.