1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt Mazara, Odor, Profar, and Gallo are moved any time soon. I don't think teams should completely rip apart their team unless as a last resort. Problem is teams always think they have a shot and don't value club control years enough. If a team is going to burn the farm down going after wild cards and long shots every year, they are going to end up really bad, and teams that value prospects highly aren't going to bail them out overpaying for veterans.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not to mention, they're pretty f***ing bad WITH those guys. Might as well stick with them to get the high draft picks.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think its true to say that its harder to crash down to the bottom 3 teams now than it was when we did it. If for no other reason, more teams are trying to do it. That said, I dont think a team like the Rangers gets those top 3 or 5 picks unless they burn it completely down. And if they settle for picks in the 5-10 range, are there going to be game changing players available there for consecutive years? And if we just happen to have several fat drafts in a row where that is the case, then other teams will be bolstered more by even better players than the ones the Rangers get. The only other scenario I can see where they pick in the 5-10 range and get the kind of return in the draft we did is to make the best picks year after year and hope teams ahead in the draft pick badly. Not too likely.

As an Astros fan, I hope they do retain just enough decent players to not ever have the opportunity to get game changing draft picks.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. HTM

HTM Member

Not that I care one way or the other about Bannister but that roster, especially the starting pitching staff, is poo-poo.

6. plee

plee Member

Hmm...I guess I was right about Bannister

7. Buck Turgidson

This is a shame, he was just too perfect for that team.

craigharmann and Killatron 2000 like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, I really dislike Bannister but the Rangers were going nowhere with him at the helm which outweighed my dislike for him. I guess as long as Jon Daniels is still the GM the Rangers will still be trash so at least there is that. Daniels has the longest leash of any GM this side of Rick Smith.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think more teams are intentionally trying to follow the Astros footsteps. I think more teams burned up their farm systems overpaying for veterans to help mediocre teams. Right now, the good teams for the most part are deep, have cash, and aren't overpaying for marginal upgrades. If a guy only has one year left, you aren't getting much. With good teams basically keeping their best prospects to themselves unless trading for an ace or a near-ace with three or more years left, bad teams are going to have to depend on draft or international fa. That is going to take time unless they are lucky.

11. plee

plee Member

I don't know what they were expecting with the players they gave him.... I guess if he went .500 it might have saved his job. I don't think the GM should be around as well but if he is their 'Rick Smith' then we can bad mouth them for a while longer...

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If he’d have gone .500 with that dumpster fire of a roster, he would’ve been AL manager of the year.

plee likes this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Maybe they just fired him bc he’s a d******d and they figured if they are going to suck for another decade at least they don’t have to do it with him on the payroll

14. Buck Turgidson

That's why he was such a good fit with them.

There were grumblings about "communication issues" with the players. They do get to pay him next year though, they extended him through '19 before this season.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I thought the extension was a club option for 2019?

16. Buck Turgidson

Coulda been.

17. msn

msn Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Not that it means anything, since Arlington is impossible to care about, but the Astros have now officially won more AL pennants than the “Texas” Rangers. (Duh)

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  20. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Nice! And how long have the Astros been in the AL??