1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Good news for the rest of the league. Arlington does all of us a solid. Thanks guys!

MadMax, texans1095 and CrushCity like this.
  2. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

Lmfao this is great. Arlington meltdown.

3. Buck Turgidson

If I'm them, and thank god I'm not, I absolutely trade at some point this year Hamels, Beltre, Colon, Choo, Odor, Andrus for stuff and go full rebuild.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can’t think of anything worthless enough that I’d even give up for odor.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

They are an ornery bunch up there. Cant see the forest is burning for the tree. Id just as well they wait. Dont want them helping out AL contenders at the deadline.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Why wait?

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Because they haven't bought the narrative that they need to rebuild yet. And/or, its not exactly good for ticket sales or dugout psychology to announce that you are going to be terrible for the next 4-5 (or longer) years and your fixing to trade all your good players. Its not just about losing talent, its also about changing the team identity.

In those years following 2005, we were in denial as well.

8. Buck Turgidson

Oh, oh, I do take that back. I didn't look at contracts for any of those guys.

Odor is signed until 2022 (2023 team option) for about $43 million. That makes me happy.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

LOL

10. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Maybe they do Beltre a solid and send him to Hou to be our DH

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Technically, with their new stadium being built.. and a TV deal that's one of the league's richest... they're in a far different situation, financially, to make some of these decisions.

That being said, they're going to sell out the new stadium and get the TV money regardless... two factors that were not givens when Crane took over the Astros. It was a much bigger risk for the Astros to tank, without a TV deal in place, vis-a-vis retaining long-time fans and securing the Astros brand.

The fact also remains the the Rangers are bottoming out now, while trying to be good.

12. vince

vince Member

Gallo reminds me of Chris Carter, home run or strike out.

Their OPS was always respectacle, but they don’t pass the eye test. Even though I liked Carter, him not being in the lineup striking out 3 out of 4 at Bats is a relief.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Those are some good points. Anyone have a take on how good their farm is right now compared to what ours was when we decided to tank?

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Not saying you are saying we should get Gallo, but anyone that goes up to bat against that shift of ours and still hits into it is getting a no from me.. hell even I could bunt a ball towards 3rd/ss

vince likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

They might be in Orioles territory if they unload 3-4 of their best players. On the other hand, with all that supposed money coming in 2020, they might take the approach to just do their best until then, and then start signing big time FA's.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ours was not rated highly as Springer was only highly rated prospect that I recall. With Springer being even more excellent than expected and Keuchel popping up, it produced a lot more than expected. I believe Altuve was already up prior to Astros tanking.

Rangers don't have anyone like Springer right now. Odds are against Rangers having a Cy Young winner in their farm system. Rangers farm system appears deeper than Astros was at the time, but tough to overcome Springer and Keuchel.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What's really telling is that even though the 2007-2011 Astros were chasing it, and trading prospects for established past prime players... they didn't actually trade anybody who turned out to become an all-star or have any sort of long-term career elsewhere.

They had very little depth in the farm thanks to some truly awful drafts where they didn't sign anybody.

Rangers may have traded some quality away in the Hamels, Lucroy, Beltran deals... I'm not sure what the status of those guys are, but that's a pretty good way to have less depth in their farm. But I'd almost feel better as a Ranger fan if those prospects do end up turning out, indicating that the base scouting system and draft system is likely working.

The Astros system wasn't working. Even if you count them developing JD Martinez, Altuve and drafting Springer. (which actually, would be hard to find 3 better players in todays game that all came from the same system).

18. plee

plee Member

Started watching them a bit more, they do have some young players they can rebuild with. And they all seem to have open batting stances, not sure if this is on purpose or coincidence. Anyway, Hamels, Beltre and Choo should bring a few prospects. Odor is a bag of peanuts so bench him or send him down. Gallo, he is what he is, if I was in rebuild mode I would ship him out as well...

19. Buck Turgidson

Gallo reminds me of a shittier Adam Dunn.

raining threes and msn like this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member