1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

But dat punch doe...and Banny has a mean index finger that's always ready to battle-fight

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Just thought I'd stop by and call Jeff Bannister a ********er.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess I owe Carlos Gomez sort of an apology from some comments earlier in this thread. He's been on fire since he returned from injury. He has two dingers today (a 2 run and 3 run dinger) and he's been powering them out. I guess he finally found his form. He was okay for them before but now he's a force. His performance while he was an Astro is just even more of a disappointment now as the potential was always there and now it's finally coming out. The rehab must have been really good for him.

#423 Surfguy, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

He's also a dumbass

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

**** that guy. He wasn't better here because he wasn't willing to take criticism and direction. I don't care if he hits 50 HRs this year.....I'm glad he's gone.

6. msn

msn Member

I don't miss Gomez or Rasmus.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gomez and Rasmus miss, though.

msn and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its fair to say Gomez has his moments. Streaky good to streaky bad. So whatever you said about him, its probably true half the time :)

I miss Rasmus for the person, not so much the player. There was a period where numerous stories emerged regarding him having "found a home here" or "finally found a team he is comfortable with and likes". It made me think at the time this could work out long term. But that was during the 2015 season where he had a tolerable .789 OPS. His wheels fell off in 2016, and that was the end.

kaleidosky likes this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yea. I miss Colby the person. I bought a Rasmus bobblehead off ebay for $50 where he was wearing the giant sunglasses during the playoffs champaign bath.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Exactly this. Stros just caught the streaky bad part.

Rasmus was a great guy, a great fielder, great clubhouse, but JAKE!!! is doing the same things this year, just off the bench and RH and better.

11. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

It seems that the Tribe own the Rangers more than us. Talk about meltdown.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This is great. Rangers up 9 - 2. Now trail 9-15. Could there be better entertainment when the Astros aren't playing? I don't think so.

Pen15clubber, craigharmann and Rox225 like this.
  13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Cole sucks

Their pen sucks more

Bwahahahahaha

Screw them

Pen15clubber likes this.
  14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maaayne!!

What a great 180.

F tha Rangers

15. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Streaky as hell, ol' Gomez. 1-14 with 11k his last four games...

Pen15clubber likes this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Gomez gotta Gomez.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

He's streaky because he is a product of how he is playing. When he hits well and drops a couple bombs, every at bat after that he is corkscrewing trying to bomb again. After a while of striking out, he settles down and focuses on just putting it in play - starts hitting bombs and base hits again.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Any word how the collective prospects the Rangers have given up in the Hamels/Beltran/Lucroy trades are doing?

Would be interesting to trend those players.... especially if any of them are on the cusp.

texans1095 likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Eichkoff, who was thought of as a AAAA pitcher, has been a slightly better than league average pitcher since about a month after the Hamels trade. Going forward, he's probably better than Hamels and reallly wasn't that far off Hamels in 2015 or 2016. Alfaro (C) and Williams (OF) are having contact issues in AAA, but will likely get a chance in September or next year. Alfaro has a good chance to at least be a backup catcher with some pop, while Williams likely will need to be a Domingo Santana (i.e. hit with enough power to justify the lower contact rate). Either of these guys become MLB players, will likely be a landslide in favor of Phillies. Asher (not sure what Phillies got) went to the Orioles and basically looks like a Paulino/Musgrove guy (i.e. not good or average performance, but not so bad that can't win some games with him on mound).

Brinson is having issues with contact in majors, but really small sample size. He looks like he'll be a major leaguer. I'm glad Rangers traded him for Lucroy.

Dillon Tate is doing good in A+, but far away.. I'd rather Rangers would have kept him as I think Astros and Yankees are both going to have some good teams if he makes it up.