1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The identity of the Houston Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MorningZippo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Decided to make my first thread after finally finding something worth making a thread over. I've seen a lot of people complain about how the Rockets Lack an identity because of Yao only being able to play 24 minutes. Obviously when your best player can only play 24 minutes, It's never good, however I think that Coach Adelmen can utilize the team in such a way that having 2 vastly different play styles can actually help us.

First off. Jordan Hill needs more minutes, and all of his minutes need to be when Yao is in the game.

Why?

Because Yao should not be playing the high-post, and most of the time he doesn't, because he is banging down low. I believe one of the reasons Rick does not play Hill near as many minutes as most people on this board believe he should because he is not a good passer from the high post.

However, if our strategy when Yao is in the game is to give it to him on the block, what do we lose by playing Hill instead of Scola? He can hit the mid range jumper, runs the floor, and finishes plays. Now add to that excellent weak side shot blocking.

I'm not suggesting that Luis doesn't start. He's simply too good of a player to not be on the floor as much as possible. However I think it would make sense for most of his minutes to come when Yao isn't on the floor, because then we can have a post presence in the game at all times.

Further more, putting Miller in with Luis will make his skill set more valuable, because with Miller maning the high post, we have a great high-low game with him and Scola, and All the usual weapons that come from having a great passer in the high post.

So basically what I'm saying is when Yao and Hill are in the game together, We become a extremely effective half court defensive team, and when Miller and Scola are in the game we become a very high scoring run and gun team, and since most baskets when we run the floor will come from the other team running the floor as well, It helps mask the defensive deficiency that will be created by having scola and miller in at the same time.

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The Rockets really miss Landry and Ariza. Small forwards with length like Lamar Odom, and Al Harrington will continue to burn the Rockets.

Battier, and Lowry should be traded at this point. They don't fit in with the Rick's system.

Yao / Miller / Dampier
    Scola / Hill / Hayes
    Budinger /
    Martin / Lee
    Brooks /

We need a backup PG who can shoot the three and a SF with length and quickness.

3. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

I would suggest not making such a long thread at a time when a LOT of reactionary threads are going to be being made (after any game). I have a feeling that while you were typing this post, the other VERY similar posts were born first.

Know what I'm sayin'?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Whenever the other team has a big with range we are ****ED !

DD

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Which is why we need a player like Gerald Wallace.

Yao
    Scola
    Wallace
    Martin
    Brooks

Battier can't hold up in the NBA anymore. Teams can go small and force Shane to guard a player much quicker than him. Every NBA team has a SF/PF hybrid that can provide points, defense, speed, and rebounding. Even starting Chase would solve a lot of problems for the Rockets.

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Wasn't there a report a few weeks back that Larry Brown was 'panicking' about a point guard? I'd definitely package Brooks if it meant getting Wallace but I doubt Charlotte still moves him.

7. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Rick is an idiot.
    [​IMG]

Rant.

Morey trades/drafts everything that Rick needs to be a successful coach and he can't even get the team going. All he does is b**** and complain about the schedule then work on defense and get at least 1 w.

I thinks it's time for a change, we need a defensive minded coach or it will be a long ****ing season

/rant

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

This

Yao
    Scola
    Battier
    Marin
    Brooks
    Lowry
    Lee
    Jeffries
    Hill
    Miller
    Dampier
    Hayes
    Smith
    Patterson
    Rafer Alston
    Tmac
    Robert Horry
    D leaguer
    Adelman
    coming off the bench?
    Morey.

Everyones minutes played? 22 minutes per game per player. Equal shots.

9. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

The identity of the Houston Rockets is AB's brainless plays.
    The identity of this BBS is DD's talking out of his azz.

10. DaDakota

yep, we get it.

DD

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I prefer Lowry, Battier, and 2 first round picks.

But if it came down to it I would give up Brooks for Wallace or Iguadola.

12. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

I won't.

13. DaDakota

Kids...SHEESH !

DD

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

LOL! Funny stuff. The losses are entertaining at least. :grin:

15. DaDakota

Bunch of Chicken Littles !!

I understand the frustration but some of the analysis is just downright stupid.

DD

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

When i think back on it we played a Championship team, Western conference final team, and highest scoring team in the league off of a back to back without Yao. Now if there is a ray of sunshine? The glass as half full people can run with that line until the next game. ;)

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

What's next, we played the undefeated Hornets?

I get where you're coming from, but the fact is teams aren't even guarding Battier anymore. All he does is camp out at the three point line, pass the ball when he gets it, jack up a three sometimes, and miss lay ups. He's too predictable and teams are taking advantage of this by doubling Yao ming who is also predictable. The difference is Yao is 7'6" and can score on anybody one on one in the post. Also, shouldn't Yao's APG be higher this season in this offense? It's not because Shane isn't what he used to be.

Shane's man to man defense isn't as good as it used to be, but his help defense is still solid.

The truth is we've all noticed his decline last season, but we didn't say anything. We wanted to believe it was because the Rockets didn't want to make the playoffs and get bounced out of the first round, but that's not the case.

18. DaJet

DaJet Member

CP3 is gonna tear Brooks' ass up!

LMFAO.

And David West is a big with range, BTW.

0-4 here we come!