1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of the EU and the UK, post-Brexit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

No. The favourite is Johnson. He is first in polls with 24%, Gove is second far behind with only 14%. Also the Tories have been methodically inflitrated in the last 6 months by many Ukip members so they can get to vote a hard Brexiter.

Its already a disgrace that a PM of a democratic modern state is going to be determined by only 100k ppl but now its even worse.
    The new PM will have to promise to NOT call an election to get the vote because the ERG are deadly afraid they will get obliterated.

However the moderate conservatives have been rallying and created their own group called one nation. Their leader Amber Rudd met with Johnson and stated that if the new PM backs no deal they will work with Labour in a no confidence vote and fall their own party from power.

So in the end no matter who is the next PM they will be in an extreme tight lease. Just like May was pushed left and right trying to placate the rightwing ERG this time it will be one nation that will do the blackmailing.

Right now about 62% of Tory MPs are moderate and left and 38% hard brexiters.

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The only polls that matter are a poll of the Tory MP's, who will whittle the candidates down to two, and then the 142,000 paid up Tory party members who will vote between those two. That being said, it could certainly end up being Johnson, or even someone else. Who was picking Theresa May at this stage of the contest last time around? Not very many people, I do not think.

As far as the Tory MP's being moderate, if they choose a Remainer Prime Minister, regardless of what wrapper they try to wrap that person with, the Tory party is very likely going to be annihilated at the next general election. We saw the preview of what that might look like just last week during the EU Parliamentary elections.

The Tory base is even more fed up with these people than American conservatives are fed up with Republican moderates here. If the Tory party cannot deliver a real Brexit, it deserves to be effectively eradicated. And after watching the results of the EU Parliamentary elections, that appears to be a very likely outcome if they bottle it again.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

OK, a few developments in the Tory's Prime Minister contest.

Andrea Leadsom pledges 'managed' no deal exit if she becomes Prime Minister

Andrea Leadsom has pledged to take Britain out of the EU in a managed no deal exit as she ruled out extending Article 50 beyond October if she becomes prime minister. The former leader of the Commons became the latest leadership hopeful to set out her red lines for Brexit, as candidates’ views on no deal became the defining issue of the race.

Sajid Javid, the Home Secretary, refused to rule out extending Article 50 again if Parliament forces the option on the next Tory leader, after it emerged that Michael Gove has told Cabinet colleagues he would be prepared to delay Brexit until late 2020.​

So, Andrea Leadsom is promising a "managed" no deal exit, which actually might work for her, if she actually gets a chance to explain herself in a way that Tory MP's and paid members of the Tory party (142,000) hear and understand what she is proposing here. Any no deal exit would need to be "managed" and hopefully the government is currently working hard to make sure everything possible is being done to prepare for that eventuality. But it is hard to imagine that she will actually become the next Prime Minister at the end of the contest, regardless.

Sajid Javid has refused to rule out another extension of Article 50, which if you ask me should pretty well end his candidacy. But the politics among Tory MP's is a little tricky, so who knows.

Michael Gove has apparently come out and suggested that he would be prepared to push Brexit back by another year. Again, even if the political calculations that Gove is basing this on have some merit, that is going to be beyond infuriating to what is left of the Tory base. If it is his goal to eradicate the Conservative party as a force in national politics for at least a generation, this looks like a pretty good strategy for achieving that. I had thought that Gove might be a top candidate. If he turns out to be the next Tory PM with this position, he could very well be the last Tory PM for a very long time.

#1383 MojoMan, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They might win but none have any real credibility among brexiteers because they stayed on the May bandwagon. Leadsom was beast during the 2016 campaign but didn't bail frm government until the last minute. At this point it is probably BJ or no Brexit.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The real trick right now appears to be getting into the top two in the voting among the Tory MP's. These people are under enormous pressure from their establishment elite benefactors to either oppose or soften any Brexit that might happen. Of course most of the votes that supported this latest extension of Brexit were from non-Tory MP's. But there are still quite a few of the Tory's who are as arrogant and absorbed into the establishment echo chamber as Republican members of Congress are here. Which at least for me is making this all really interesting to watch.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The UK now needs to leave London. WTF is this?

7. biff17

biff17 Member

How do you come up with this stuff, you got to be reading and link into some really fringe stuff to come up with this stuff.

You are actually scaring me dude.

8. Cohete Rojo

Hit “Ignore”.

9. Nook

Nook Member

LOL What an absolutely useless endorsement. If anything it only hurts creepy Boris. Donald Trump is hated in the UK (and most of the world). Last I heard he had a 20% approval rating in the UK. All this endorsement does is make Boris seem even more marginal..... hell, Stalin or Hitler could probably pull 10-15% approval in the UK....the good news is Trump is moderately more popular than sexually transmitted diseases like AIDS and herpes.

Rashmon and malakas like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

There are too many Muslims in London. I am there several times a year. England doesn’t know how to handle immigrants. People can call me racist, but many Muslims in London are extremely pushy and will lob slurs at you if you do not stop for prayer or are a female that isn’t covered. There are whole areas of London like that.

I have been involved in several altercations. I saw two Muslim men with canes harassing and screaming at a Spanish girl. I approached to find out why and was told by the bearded older men that it wasn’t my business and she wasn’t properly dressed. I am lucky I did not get arrested and had no shame beating two men in their 60’s.

The other time Muslims stopped in the street to pray and I almost ran them over. I would have felt nothing if they had been hit. Natural selection, don’t stop in the road. You are moving into the West, you adjust.

11. biff17

biff17 Member

i don't put people in ignore.

12. Cohete Rojo

Yes, instead you whine like a child.

13. Cohete Rojo

What we know about Islam's founder:
    • Illiterate
    • Married a 6-year old
    • Consummated the marriage 4 years later
    • Attacked those who rejected his ministry
    • Attacked caravans to finance his butchery
    • Had people assassinated for writing satirical poetry
    • Married the widow of one of his assassination victims
    What we know about Muslims:
    • Believe the founder is the most perfect individual to have ever lived -- whose righteousness and morality is the goal for all Muslims to achieve
    • Believe the founder was tortured and persecuted -- because people rejected his religion
    • Believe the founder was justified in slaughtering those who rejected his religion
    • Believe the founder was justified in attacking caravans to finance his religious war
    • Believe that killing apostates, and a whole host of other individuals, is justified
    Stopping to pray in the street is not the big issue. There are bigger fish to fry.

MojoMan likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Coming from the most aggrieved poster here that's comical.

Pointing out that you post some of the most hateful and xenophobic post is whining according to you.

Seems legit.

15. Cohete Rojo

Quit whining and start debating.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Quit whining and start debating.

17. Cohete Rojo

I am awaiting your rebuttal:

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This has nothing to do with Brexit.

IDIOT where it will get the attention it deserves.

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Despite being supposedly being "banned" from meeting Donald Trump by Theresa May's government, at least according to some reports, Nigel Farage has arrived to meet with Donald Trump at the US Ambassador's house in London.

Brexit leader Nigel Farage arrives for meeting with Donald Trump

Nigel Farage arrived at the U.S. ambassador’s residence in London on Tuesday afternoon, according to a witness, ending days of speculation about whether he would meet President Trump during his state visit.

Farage, 55, Britain’s best-known proponent of Brexit, has been a constant irritant to Prime Minister Theresa May’s government as she attempts to negotiate her way out of Europe.​

Mr. Farage certainly deserves to be congratulated on his epic victory over all of the traditional establishment parties in last week's EU Parliamentary elections. And President Trump is sure to provide him with such congratulations.

20. biff17

biff17 Member

OK.