1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The dreaded AAAA tag, it’s the netherworld for pro players

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vince, Apr 27, 2018.

1. vince

vince Member

I’ve been closely watching Fisher; and now I wonder if he can get comfortable enough in the Majors to be relevant. Granted it takes guys different timetables to really truly know.

Some guys get it after half a season, for others it takes 3 seasons (see JD Martínez). If Fisher is a guy who we need to be patient for 3-4 season, he will likely get stuck in that dreaded AAAA world, which is where Kemp, Reed, Preston Tucker, Jon Singleton, etc.. Guys too valuable to give away, but no true opportunities. Though, Luhnow did Preston Tucker a solid gifting him to the Braves....

I’m pulling for Fisher, but it is looking more and more, like he is still outmatched by ML pitching and he’s progressing real slow. And he’s getting Close to 250 AB mark (half a season worth of at bats) which might be him squandering a golden opportunity.

He should ask AJ Reed how it feels when you lose the prospect tag, and now you have to toil with no room for error and be seen as a trade asset.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with teams moving on from players who may one day make it big. Most of the time, teams that are trying to win now don't have the luxury of giving sub-par players ample AB's to figure it out. Also, sometimes a player doesn't truly get it, or make changes, till he's failed multiple times or eventually is given up on.

At the end of the day, far more players end up AAAA than are stud prospects that translate to everyday MLB players let alone all-star caliber players. We've just been blessed that early round picks like Springer, Correa and LMJ ended up making all star teams, and Bregman ended up becoming an everyday player (jury is still out if he would ever make even one all star team though).

Also, lets mot presume that Fisher was some can't miss prospect. He never was. Him failing would be far different than Tucker failing. He needs to work on cutting down the loop in his swing... but at the same time, not stand there and watch so many hittable pitches go by. Being aggressive also comes with confidence.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree that Fisher wasn't a can't miss prospect. I would not lump him in the group of stud prospects as well. Fisher needs to work on contact. However, his plate discipline is probably the best on the team right now besides for Bregman. Fisher has been jobbed a few times this year on called strikes on balls this year (especially on 2 strikes). Tough to get respect from umps when you aren't hitting, but I doubt Fisher swinging at balls will help him hit when he can't even hit grooved pitches.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wasn't his contact and lack of K's in the minors thought of as a plus?

I agree that he needs to cut his swing down to assist in contact.... and be aggressive on balls in the zone.

Seems like a lot of this team watches hittable pitches in favorable counts. Perhaps they key in on a certain pitch and when they don't get it... they watch it.

5. Buck Turgidson

He was a K machine in the minors too.

If he and Reed don't shorten their swings they have no chance in MLB.

6. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I think Fisher is going to end up being a good everyday player as he progresses. He has all the tools to be a good player, just has some work to do.

vince likes this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Don't think Kemp belongs in that group he doesn't have the at bats that singleton,tucker or martinez given a real chance i think he can make at the top level.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The contending clubs are harder for these guys to push themselves into. The bottom feeders have a lot more AB's to give marginal players. They can afford to take longer looks.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He went contact oriented for a bit after his injury in college, but traded that for power pretty quickly once he got strength back. Think he was already down the power path by the time he was drafted by Astros. Looks like he survived minors based on swinging at hittable pitches and watching balls go by.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fisher is at least 500 more mlb pa away from being cemented as a aaaa player. He’s young enough and a good enough athlete that there’s a decent chance he can adjust. I’m fine if Houston gives up on him to replace him with a more proven option or a higher ceiling prospect, but I think it’s nowhere near time to write him off.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Luke Scott, J.D. Martinez, Bobby Abreu, Luis Gonzalez, Curt Schilling, Johan Santana, A Change of scenery, Hitting Coach or Pitching making adjustments for a player can turn around their career. Dallas Keuchel, Collin McHugh, Brad Peacock, Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, Charlie Morton really improved under Brent Strom and turned some careers around.

12. vince

vince Member

I am aware of that. But once a player gets to feel they’ve mastered AAA ball but can’t sniff an opportunity in the MLB, it must be exasperating. AJ Reed was dejected by his lack of call-ups and opportunities. Before he lost his prospect status he was rated very high (but his swing was massively exposed to have holes - and these pinpoint accurate ML pitchers will hit those hole every time).

What it boils down to, is it’s a game of adjustments. How quickly you adjust to a weakness opposing teams are exploiting. Some guys adjust fast others need 1/2 season or longer. Patience is left at the minor leagues or for guys in the ML who have a successful track record.

Hence the trick is to incorporate the adjustments into your natural delivery. Which is much harder done than said... Guys look funky and lost when it isn’t their natural swings.... A reason for which coaches are doing their thing instead of still playing in the ML baseball. Just because you know what to do, doesn’t mean you can actually replicate it effectively.

#12 vince, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    jim1961 likes this.
  13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Fisher when he came up had excellent bat-to-ball skills, but it looked like he much preferred hitting against the fastball, and teams have since figured out a gaping hole in his swing with regards to the offspeed.

He'll have to adapt, but perhaps he'd be better served figuring it out in AAA and coming back up when his confidence has returned.

vince likes this.