1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Cybertruck - New Tesla Pickup Unveiling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

So...after much convincing, the wife "approved" lol for us to put in a reservation. I want it, but I'm concerned if the cybertruck would fit in a normal garage. Any of you rednecks have a F-150 that's parked inside a home garage?

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is what most everyone invisioned the DeLorean being, not the stock one that struggles to make it to 88 mph...

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

But how would you zip up your pants?

99ers? Heck, that's more like a huge arcade game in a bar, circa 1970.

I think it will be a growth industry, but honestly, the mechanics that work on today's cars, SUV's, and trucks should be able to manage, in my opinion, with a bit of training. They already use a computer to figure out what's wrong with the engine, etc., and the rest probably won't change that much for a long time. All electric vehicles will likely become easier to work on that the gas models and hybrids on the road today. More often than not, a "computer engineer" who comes out to work on a server with issues at a large business will use software to figure out what the problem is, and then just swap out the part. It's far cheaper that attempting to "repair" it. I think a lot of the issues will be repaired using software and replacing what's acting up.

The reason the window broke, KC, is that the doors were whacked with a sledge hammer before the guy threw the steel ball. That cracked the bottom of the windows just enough to allow them to crack. That's what they are saying, anyway. That if the ball had been thrown first, the demo would have been a success.

From CNN:
    On Sunday night, Musk offered an explanation. Shortly before von Holzhausen threw the steel ball at the windows, he had hit the truck's door with a big sledgehammer. That was to demonstrate the strength of the truck's body panels. But the impact from the blows of the sledgehammer had also slightly damaged the glass, Musk said.
    "Sledgehammer impact on door cracked base of glass, which is why steel ball didn't bounce off," Musk tweeted. "Should have done steel ball on window, *then* sledgehammer the door. Next time ..."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/25/cars/elon-musk-tesla-cybertruck-window-glass-broke/index.html

#123 Deckard, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

A typical garage won’t fit a crew cab pickup, would need to know the dimensions of the Tesla but I doubt it will

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cyberpussay is the next Bond movie.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I might get one, but every time I charge it I will laugh and shake my head knowing a lot of the electricity comes from a coal plant down the river....

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

My F150 fits in my garage along side my wife's outback. Maybe it is because my house is older (built in 1967), but I have a few inches to spare. I do end up having the read or front of the truck go over the "curb" at the back of the garage, so I can't store things on the floor though (in the process of building some shelves on the ceiling to store things above.

CCity Zero, cmoak1982 and Deckard like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Those older houses really do tend to have larger garages. My parents home in Southeast Houston, over by Glenbrook Valley, was built in 1963. It had an enormous 2 car garage compared to what we have now in Austin. It was detached, with a covered walkway across the patio to the back door. The garage also had a peaked roof, with storage above the cars that you could access with a ladder. Funny how those middle class homes differ from those of today. It was a pretty large house, with small closets, bathrooms with hand laid tile everywhere that would cost a mint to have today, with the sinks in one room, then through a door to the bath and the toilet in another. Long hallways, big bedrooms, separate den with birch paneling and a built in birch gun cabinet, a nice sized living room and dining room. I miss that place.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

I recall my Grandmother's house had a one car garage with the washer in it. The Dryer was outside on clotheslines. That was built in the early 50's, back when all Houston homes had summer patio rooms.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I feel like that’s true, my house is less than 20 yrs old and it’s a tiny little garage, I could probably fit my truck in, just nothing else would go in with it

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

And ICE industry...

They are scared.

Very scared.

And they should be.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This is exactly why I run over the guy with the sledgehammer first, before engaging the Steel ball gun rails.

Deckard likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sounds a lot like the house I grew up in, which was a little 2 bedroom, 1 bath place with a screen porch that Dad turned into a 3rd bedroom (mine), not far from what became Gulfgate (I saw it being built) in Southeast Houston. It was a neighborhood of small houses for vets of WWII and Korea they purchased using the GI Bill. It had a small 1 car garage that never had a car in it. It’s where we had the washer and the freezer. There was a clothes line in the backyard that was well used. There were kids everywhere. It was a great place to grow up. The nice house I described came much later. Dad always said he preferred the little place, and Mom loved the new, much bigger house a few miles away.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

CCity Zero and Hakeemtheking like this.
  14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It's important to have enough garage space for the Cybertruck and the charging station so that all charging, at least at home, be done inside the garage, is it not? Am I missing something here?

I'm going to have to measure our garage. I think I need at least 240 inches to be safe.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You also have 2 years to prepare.

16. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

front end looks cool :cool:

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Charger doesn't need to be covered/inside, it's just more convenient that way (having to plug/unplug in rain, for example.) Also I wouldn't worry about space for the charging station, it hangs on the wall and takes up minimum room.

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I have a Model S with a charger installed in my garage. The charger is just a wall-mounted unit that you'll need to install on the wall closest to where the input will be on the car. So if it's like the Model S, the wall that's closest to the back left corner of the car. What really matters is the hose length, depending on how small/large your garage is. Now if you live in a townhouse or something with a single car garage, parking the truck would most likely be a challenge but I've seen people get creative with their F-150s, Tacomas, etc.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Tesla looks much better in that pic when compared to the other night when they introduced it.

BigM likes this.