1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Case for Starting Hartenstein

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 15, 2020.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Starting Hartenstein is nonsensical cuz we have a starting center whose name is Clint Capela. However Harty should be getting 20+ mins a night as a backup center and big PF. Instead we have Pringles running PJ Tucker to the ground playing PF and small ball center. Congrats MDA, Tucker sucks now. Time to find the new dude he can run to the ground and then complain about "no depth".

2. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

He shouldn't be starting, but he should absolutely be getting more minutes, both for the experience and so that we don't kill PJ and Capela before the playoffs even start.

Relativist and solid like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Harty can be as good as a Plumley...the lesser Lopez brother. ....

Rocket River

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

The only chance Dantoni "maybe" starts Hartenstein is if Capela gets traded (possible)... and even then he'll probably want to start PJ at the 5.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Listening to MDA on with Matt Thomas now. MT asked about Hartenstein and he said “well I know he’s played well, but we need Tyson and some of the things he brings. We need Tyson to be what NeNe was come playoff time”. Said IH needed to be better on defense( whole damn team needs to be better on D coach) and Tyson is good at getting through picks. :rolleyes:

MDA said he’s sure Hartenstein will get some time, but it reeeeeealllly sounded like he didn’t want to give it to him. I felt like it was a bunch of bs.

I’m pretty convinced it’s time for MDA to go. Not just for this, but I feel like he’s not coaching this team up like he needs to.

#25 mikol13, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  6. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Exactly, you have to believe Harty would have helped the horrendous defensive rebounding that has been killing our leads when MDA rolls out the small ball lineup because Capela is gassed. Guess what, Tucker is gassed too at that point and now he is expected to defend the paint and get rebounds for Capela ??

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No, he actually can’t, because to be better than those players, you have actually play.

MDA won’t let him play.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no case. You can't destroy spacing with Westbrook and Harden.

In fact, I bet we would play better basically not playing any Centers, ever.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DanAndToni is making that bet

Rocket River

hakeem94 and RudyTBag like this.
  10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Well Tucker would have his back as the perimeter defender and shooter... He and Capela need to practice switching in and out of each other's spacing.. I like it.. D'Antoni can go through the motions while one of the assistants can be the real coach. The key is Hart is quick enough to do this..

#30 Sanctity, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

If the Lakers was starting after LeBron got hurt the rockets starting hartenstein not too far out.

I agree. Anything to shake thing up after the Tucker injury!

12. Remlap

Remlap Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and J Sizzle like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

OP is absolutely right with his thread title - Hartenstein is a surefire G league starter. There is really no argument against it. Good thread, OP.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yet House continues to get 29 minutes a game these last 10 games even though he has only averaged 6.3 pts and 3 4 rebounds. I don't get the love MDA shows him night after night after night. We need a better player than Daniel House getting those minutes.

Oh, and McLemore gets a whole 2 pts and 1 rebound in 18 minutes, yet Harty sits on the bench when Clint rests. Just stupid. It's not like House and McLemore were doing anything worthy of all those minutes.

mikol13 and Rocket River like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He got 3 minutes garbage time tonight. Hooray!

16. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Lol mhmmm the curious case

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

House was a team best plus 28, though.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sounds more like Harty is on trade block.

MDA clearly stated last week that Harty was primary back up to Clint, now back tracking. Makes jo sense because Tyson is obviously shot and cannot provide more than 10-12 quality minutes every other game depending on matchup.

Do not be surprised if Harty is part of upcoming trade package.

HP3, RudyTBag, mikol13 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There is a sense of unreality surrounding MDA now. I just don't understand the guy. I think Tyson is an asset on the bench and in the locker room, but in games he frequently seems to be running in molasses. I'm not going to say Hartenstein is the answer to what ails us, but I do think the rare times he's gotten significant minutes he has appeared to earn more than a couple of minutes here and there, in my opinion.

D'Antoni saying one thing and doing the opposite with Harty has to be tough on the kid, but he always seems to be ready when he comes in, even if he's yanked before working up a sweat. Maybe MDA has been in the business past his expiration date. Morey needs to start looking for a replacement while he's looking for talent to add to the team.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The same thing was happening to Montrezl, who might now be the most feared bench player in the NBA.