1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for Billy Wagner in the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The purpose of any museum is to educate; to tell the historically accurate history of a subject. It's not about, or, at least, should not be about confirming what/who everybody already knows.

I've seen a HoF voter reference the fame aspect and I think it's silly. As a baseball writer, who, presumably, has much greater insight into the game, your job is not to promote what everybody already knows; it's to provide a much deeper understanding/appreciation for those who made the game great.

1 person likes this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Luke Gregerson has a better ERA & FIP than Trevor Hoffman...

Who knew we already had a HOF-caliber closer?

Nook likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, but prior to last year Gregerson had blown 63% of his save chances, I mean what a scrub.;)

We all know the save is the most accurate and soundly decided stat in all of sports.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

10 years after they retired, these guys were probably famous and everyone knew who they were that had any following of baseball.

That said, it surprises me that the HoF is still a big deal. I do like following the discussions because they are amusing.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

bite your tongue.

see sig.

1 person likes this.
  6. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Rogers Hornsby was my manager. He called me a talking pile of pig****. And that was when my parents drove all the way down from Michigan to see me play.

7. msn

msn Member

By the way, regarding the "fame" question, the above answer is the one I'll stick with.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

9. Buck Turgidson

"Billy Wagner Analytics"

**** it, coach, I'm throwing him the 12the heater. He's only fouled off 10 in a row, no way he'll catch up to this one.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They can put just his fastball in the HOF.

11. texans1095

texans1095 Member

While he is still far away from getting in, he’s absolutely trending in the right direction and has 5 more years of eligibility. He still probably doesn’t get in, but he has a much better chance now than he did at this time last year. Also, for the next few years there aren’t any slam-dunk first ballot type of guys (except Big Papi) so that should really help Wagner.

RustyHarden and mikol13 like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

arkoe likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Capture.JPG
    Off-topic, but the above graph shows 6 different player careers (no relievers) depicted by their fWARs from their best season to their worst. 5 of these players have been voted into the HOF.

Let's play match the color to the HOF Vote % for 1st Year of Eligibility.

Answers
    68.2 Green
    41.7 Blue
    1 Black
    99.7 Yellow
    99.3 Red
    97.2 Purple

14. PhiSlammaJamma

The educational argument U make is for the museum, but not it’s actual hall of fame where the mission is to educate by presenting the legendary players. U need and should be legendary/famous in your own time to make the Hall. I don’t mind putting Wagner into the museum or library, but not the hall of inductees itself.

#34 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  15. body slam

body slam Member

I still like the Billy Wagner and Shane Reynolds Astros commercial from back in the day.

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree. It's a position just like any other. Involved in a lot more games than a starter. And very crucial position. How many extra games did Mariano Rivera win for the Yankees over the years? Have a great reliever helps all your other pitchers. Not have one does the reverse. So, they impact the entire game, in dictating how the pitching staff gets used.
    Now, for a reliever not a closer, I might buy that argument..you'd have to be an OUTSTANDING reliefer...and if you were that good...why weren't you starting or closing? Satchel Paige, but all sorts of things make his case unique.

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Wagner did have some 'fame'. Didn't Bonds call him a baaad man?

Personally, I think putting a little fear into Bonds maybe gets you into the hall by itself. :) But also speaks to how hitters felt about him. That to me is a key criteria. Were the hitters of his area scared to face him? If so, then maybe he belongs in the hall.

18. msn

msn Member

By that logic, JR Richard should be in.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Aramis ramirez.... Now that's a name I forgot and haven't heard in a while. **** that guy.

#40 donkeypunch, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021