1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for Billy Wagner in the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Jan 2, 2016.

1. what

what Member

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Most media members I've heard say Trevor isn't even a *lock. There just aren't many reliever-only players in the HOF... Eckersley, Smoltz both were starters for years. Although Wags does have several statistical advantges, Trevor's case is better due to 180+ extra saves. I remember Alou stopping Hoffman's consecutive save streak with a HR, though. Think we ended up losing the game, but at least it wasn't a total loss.

Interesting about Billy... he grew up right-handed, but his friend broke his arm (they were horseplaying IIRC) forcing him to throw lefty. Loved watching him pitch. Unfortunately, he's another great player from those teams who failed in the postseason. Demoralizing times once the playoffs began.

#2 Houstunna, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Neither belongs, but it is believed Hoffman will make it. Temporarily being the all-time saves leader being the only reason. I hate full-time relievers going to the HOF.

4. what

what Member

Why? If a relief pitcher can't make it to the hall, I think the process is broken.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Great Relief pitchers are crucial to winning. Look at the royals and astros. I think a great reliever is under rated by baseball.

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Decent starters get paid as much as top notch closers.

No love for Mariano either?

#6 Houstunna, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  7. juicystream

A relief pitcher can, his name is Mariano Rivera.

Roy Oswalt isn't a HOFer, but was a way better and more productive player than Trevor Hoffman.

Huston Street is very similar to Trevor Hoffman, do you feel like you are watching a HOFer in Huston Street?

8. juicystream

They are important. It doesn't make them HOF worthy.

He is an exception, and there likely will be others in the future. Rivera has nearly twice the WAR of his contemporaries (Wagner/Hoffman) and is the all-time leader in ERA+. That doesn't even get into his postseason success.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

I'll always have a homer bias for The Kid, but I presume his postseason stats will keep him out.

10. E-Man

E-Man Member

If Wagner ever got in the Hall, which team does he represent?

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

His call.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought they got rid of that after the Wade Boggs fiasco (went in as a devil Ray).

13. juicystream

I don't think they ever officially chose, but rather gave a preference. Now I think they abandoned officially allowing a preference, but I think they still take it into consideration. He's not making it, but you would think it would be as an Astros player, since he spent more time here than anywhere else, or without a logo.

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

You are correct, but is sort like Kickers in the NFL, and true Point Guards in the NBA.

They never really get the respect they deserve and face a steep climb to get into the their respective HoF's.

15. juicystream

I'm not a fan of either in the HOF, but this highlights the ridiculousness of writers:

Hoffman = 67.3%
    Wagner = 10.5%

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Depressing memories. I don't even remember him specifically failing in the playoffs, but not surprised. Loved watching him pitch, though.

Helps Houston that Drayton is gone.

Surprising since he played for PHI and NYM. Maybe they fear he'll enter as a Stro ;)

Baseball-reference shows him wearing an Astro cap.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

On multiple levels: 1) that they see any difference between the two; 2) that they deem Trevor Hoffman HoF worthy.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think HOF'er when I think of Wagner. There is nothing famous about him. Hoffman is a little closer ( ironic hugh ) to what I think of a Hall of Famer. He's a little more known. But I agree. Neither is really what I would describe as a Hall of Famer. And for those same reasons I would not include Thome. I mean who will stop at these plaques and reflect. nice guys. good players. But not famous.

19. msn

msn Member

I know it's called "Hall of Fame", but isn't qualification based on performance rather than "fame" or notoriety? By those standards, Bagwell and Biggio don't belong, either.

Do you know who Eddie Collins or Rogers Hornsby are? They're not famous, either, but there aren't many players in the last forty years that belong in the same room with them.

20. conquistador#11

he should get in by his nickname alone!