1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bogut Effect on GSW's OG Motion Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 19, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rockets haven't faced GSW's OG motion offense since Dwight Howard days, but the Bogut/Green lineup never faced Bzdelik's Switching Defense, either.

Question: Do you think the Bogut lineup will run as smooth versus Bzdelik as it did in '15 and their 73-9 year?​

If not, do you fear the Green/Looney lineup, which saw a lot of burn last playoffs?

• fwiw: the Looney, Durant, Curry, Klay, Iggy lineup has a noticeable drop-off in ORtg this year, vs the Green counterpart.
    • However, all Durant, Curry, Klay, Green lineups are too statistically similar on ORtg to differentiate, whether it's Iggy, Looney or Bogut as the 5th player, or not. Meaning, as long as Looney plays with the Big 4, not much drop-off in Regular Season to any Big 4 lineup, albeit Kerr hasn't played Looney w/Big 4 versus LAC, yet.
    • The Death Lineup version does have a significant Net advantage because of DRtg, presumably because it pulls bigs off the court?

My take: I think it is good that IF we advnace we aren't facing a relative unknown X-Factor in Cousins. I think it is good that IF we advance we are facing lineups we know and that we are designed to beat -- no surprises. And I think it is good Bzdelik is getting more fresh "tape" of Bogut with the Big 4.

Nook, cbs1507, Houstunna and 18 others like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think bogut will be able to play more than 10-15 mins vs houston and that's honestly more than likely on a good night. he'll start by default and the rockets will render bogut unplayable. then they'll adjust to starting looney when they're down in the series

with cousins out, theres nothing on this GS team that will surprise the rockets. The rockets know exactly what they have to do to beat them. They have the game plan that clearly works. it comes down to execution and health

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Our switch scheme really negates how great boguts moving screens are. He will still have effectiveness but it wont be 2015 like.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm just worried about bogut injuring one of our guys .

I think the warriors will get away with a fair number of moving screens too .

Those are the 2 big dangers of bogut IMO .

mkahanek, cbs1507, Astrodome and 6 others like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How long can Bogut even play in a game before breaking a body part?

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bogut + foster = collusion on obstructions in perpetual motion

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If this guy pulls some **** PJ needs to level his ass to the floor. None of that 15’ p***y bs

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Screens are ineffective against Switching Defense....it's kinda the point, at the expense of allowing mismatches.

so I'd expect significantly less opportunities to use their patented moving screens.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Bogut looked *really* good, like he never left. The Warriors were smart to bring him back.

noppeper and Little Bit like this.
  10. photojoe

photojoe Member

Really agree with this. Bogut is such a dirty player, gets away with so many moving screens by pretending to fall or stumble directly into the path of the defender, and does intentional things to try to injure the other player. Can't stand that guy.

That said, he is also much less athletic than Looney or Green. He is nowhere near as good of a defender as Gobert. With our offense and our PGs, I would imagine that we could set picks until we get him switched onto one of Harden or CP, and then drive past him so often to the point where the cameras will catch Kerr saying "Can't play Bogut"

Elephant810 likes this.
  11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Bogut is nowhere near the same player he was in the early GS days. He's still a smart veteran player so you can't make mistakes(like not calling out screens, not boxing out, etc) or he will take advantage but as mentioned above - he isn't going to be playing heavy minutes in a Houston series because he will get ISO'd to death on the offensive end as long as Gordon, Harden, and CP are in the game. The more relevant point here is how Looney has become a little better on both ends of the floor than he was last year. Obviously he is still quite a downgrade from Cousins and he is out of the game when the Warriors go to the death lineup anyway but the point is he is likely a better version of the big we faced last year.

...but all of this matters a little less because we don't necessarily have long defenders like Ariza & Luc to guard Durant right now so its up to PJ(shorter) and I guess Shumpert(broke shot) to do that. THAT is a much more impactful problem to solve than what to do about Bogut or for that matter Looney.

#11 glimmertwins, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Voltik and OtisHerrera like this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1) Brace yourselves....moving screens incoming

2) I think Bogut has looked surprisingly good for GSW lately, which is annoying, but I’d rather him be out there than Looney, who legitimately defends Harden well.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bogut doesn't scare me as much as Cousins did. Bogut won't be popping 3 pointers on us that's for sure.

14. thekad

thekad Member

I thought Cousins made them worse, but at least on one end of the court he’s exactly the type of center (big and skilled) that breaks the Rockets defense. Bogut, on the other hand, is exactly the type of center that the Rockets defense takes off the floor as the guards just constantly strip him.

Defensively, he’s still a great rim protector but CP3 and Harden’s floater neutralizes those types now. Also, it forces the Warriors to change schemes (drop back vs switch the big) depending on personnel which will automatically make their defense worse.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When Bogut is on the court, Capella just needs to do dead sprint runs on every defensive rebound the Rockets get.

#15 fchowd0311, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  16. arubato

arubato Member

Kerr: Can’t play Andrew

Houstunna, hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think the Clippers have the talent or scheme to really exploit Bogut.

The Rockets do. I hope he enjoys trying to catch our bigs running up and down the court and guarding Gordon, CP3, and Harden.

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Bogut defensive dprm stats nba player ranking
    2014 - 17
    5th best
    2nd best
    1 best
    3rd best

He is too old now.

19. ktex

ktex Member

Maybe let's focus on game 3 of a 7 game series against Utah which takes place tomorrow night.

MONON, Patience, Bengchu and 2 others like this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bogut hasn't done anything in the Freedom of Movement era and if he plays, Capela is fixna YAM all over the place. I'm not worried about it. I'm worried about just about everything else though. Lulz.