1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The best offense ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Feb 17, 2018.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I thought this deserves its own thread

DonKnock, dkim1984, seeingred and 5 others like this.
  2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I.D.I.O.T

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Too bad this is getting lost under the avalanche of crappy threads. Instead we are getting 90's vs. 2018 polls and delusion train threads.

4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It won't last long if Joe Johnson continues to get big minutes...:D

5. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

I think it's already got its own thread.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I hope the passing and scheming is more decisive as the offense centers around the threat of shooters or offensively skilled ball handler Harden/CP3. There really isn't much to the offense than very unique personnel.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this reminds me of gsw

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Well lets wait until the end of the regular season first to see if it still is

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why is the end of the season more important than the present moment?

and imagine if there were no injuries it would be by far the best ever

10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Look at the list of the best offenses of all time, you have:

- 2018 Rockets: The best passer of all time, the second best passer and shooter in the NBA, surrounded by shooters and an elite P&R center
    - 2017 Warriors: The greatest shooter of all time, The greatest offensive big man of all time, an elite point forward, and one of the best spot up shooters to play
    - 1996 Bulls: The Best player to ever play basketball, surrounded by shooters, even at C (extremely rare for the 90s)
    - Showtime Lakers: The best passer ever at his height, and the all time leading scorer
    - 1995 Magic: An elite do-it-all 6'5" PG with a man who had a 40 inch vertical at 7'1" 290 lbs.
    - 7 Seconds or Less Suns: elite point guard, shooters everywhere, one of the best offensive big men to play the game

TLDR: Elite personell is REQUIRED to be Elite, let alone all time great. It doesn't matter how much fancy passing and ball movement your offense has if you can't hit the backboard.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

because if it is the same as the end of the regular season, then it isn't the best ever

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

By what metric? GS has a better offense than us currently at 113.7 PPP to our 113.2 PPP.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i think its due difference in counting possessions or criteria 'what constitutes a possession' not due to garbage time exclusion
    perhaps @heypartner can help if i recall well he mentioned this somewhere

mfastx likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bbrefernce and NBA.com are in slight disagreement with how to count possessions from PbP.

However, since they are consistently off for all teams, the yearly rankings are basically the same, and, likewise, historical rankings and NetORtg is close to the same.

That said, it is one of my big pet peeves that such a highly referenced stat and widely accepted as the best team measure is not agreed upon how to calculate. MLB does not have a problem like this. Both sides would agree upon the standard

I’m thinking bbref is saying that their calculation supports more years of PbP data, and maybe NBA has another reason

Or since NBA’s number is larger, Kerr is right, and the league just likes higher scoring. Haha

mfastx, hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.