1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The “Next Wilt Chamberlain” Award Winner: Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Nov 1, 2017.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

"The Small Sample Size Awards - The Ringer"

The “Next Wilt Chamberlain” Award
    Winner: Clint Capela

Here are the top four players in PER so far this season: Giannis Antetokounmpo (duh), Anthony Davis (of course), Stephen Curry (sure), and Clint Capela (huh?).

Capela, the Rockets’ 6-foot-10, rim-running big man, has been uber-efficient this season, posting 13.5 points, 11.3 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks per game on just 24.1 minutes per game. He’s making almost 75 percent of the shots he takes from the floor, and his true shooting percentage (74.1 percent) is the best in the league among players who average at least 20 minutes per game.

How has Capela been so efficient? Mostly by shooting only when his shoes touch the paint. He’s missed his only attempted 3, he’s hit 14 of 18 free throws, and only 3.1 percent of his total made shots have been in the midrange. Everything else has been inside and near the rim, and most of it has been a product of a deadly pick-and-roll with James Harden.

http://teamstre.am/2htPAIA

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Take that for data

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wonder what kind of mpg we can hope him to someday average. He does run a lot up and down the court for a center, so 35 mpg will probably never happen. But, I think we can get more than 24 mpg.

ApacheWarrior and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Imagine Howard three years ago, accepting the role Capela did and being the defensive juggernaut he has been in the past...my head hurts from thinking about the potential.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Chemistry, work ethic and attitude matters. Clint has been succesful because of those things, despite his lack of excellent natural fitness and IQ.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

LOL! Yes, small sample size. If he can just triple those numbers, over a full year or years, THEN Chamberlain comparisons can start to be made.

The reality is we're not likely to ever see the next Wilt Chamberlain. Not only was he a complete physical freak, but the game isn't played the same anymore.

Mazulis likes this.
  7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

A team with a backcourt of Harden and Paul is an assist machine for guys like Capela. Inevitably, the stats and perceived value of the guy in the Capela role will surpass his actual contributions. Which makes it relatively easy, and awfully tempting, to trade him for greater value.

8. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is a solid young big and an amazing draft pick by Daryl Morey, but gawdamn does he have a lot of pressure on him offensively and defensively with the way that Ryno & Ariza have played this year. Back in the old days you would get a bruising, beast of a PF to pair with a young C, and we have the exact opposite of that. I've said it before and I will say it again, I would LOVE to see PJ Tucker as the starting PF. The dude just clears out the lane when he is in the game. He would hit every tough box-out and Clint could clean all the rebounds. Plus, between the PF & C, PJ Tucker could defend the toughest match-up with ease, PF or C, saving Clint from foul trouble and letting him focus on what he is really effective at. (Chasing rebounds and running the pick and roll)

Ryno off the bench would give this offense the boost it needs. Start and end the games with toughness (PJ Tucker), and let Ryno light up the scoreboard against second stringers.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wat da fook is dis shiite??? MEDIA CONSPIRACY

11. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

From Switzerland With Love: Clint Capela is the Rockets’ next great big man

More Clint media conspiracies...
    http://teamstre.am/2zZbBpF

Williamson and Reeko like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

nice article, I really loved this part

“According to Cleaning The Glass, he’s in the 100th percentile among big men in defensive rebounding percentage, and 85th percentile in offensive rebounding, in the 86th percentile in blocking shots, 91st percentile in steals and he’s leading the league in field goal percentage, hitting a ridiculous 72.3 percent.”

I also saw this earlier today

“Center Clint Capela on Monday had his third game with at least 15 rebounds. He had one game with 15 rebounds in the first 154 games of his career.”

13. Nook

Nook Member

24 minutes a game.

14. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Capela attempted a 3 pointer? I missed that. Working nights and can't watch the games. Gonna have to search for video of that.

napalm06 likes this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I have Clint on my fanasty basketball team, and he's been scoring me massive points. I just find it that disappointing that he doesn't have a great impact on the game. The way I would best describe clint is that he's a supporting center, doesn't really have much of a dominating presence. He does simple task, he follows order and has a great attitude/work ethics. I still can't believe how fast he developed though, just want him to b more confident.

16. fattz

fattz Member

So true, so true. Need to cash in on him his value will never be higher. We can get a lot for him now, plus Black’s play is solid, too. Capela’s return and Black vs Capela’s new contract —> I’ll take the former every time. We maybe able to pull a low level all star. If he was paired with Anderson.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  17. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

That's because it's through the roof :D

18. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I don't remember seeing it, I'm guessing it was a 24 second thing

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Ah yes, the natural IQ test. Very well studied.

burlesk likes this.
  20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

In before the nonstop excuses about how capelas 4 straight years of incredible improvement have nothing to do with potential, how his natural ceiling is low, and that he's somehow outperforming the expectations of our all knowing savant, bballholic, despite all odds.

In other news, if you say something stupid often enough, people will believe you, even if you are totally wrong from the very beginning.

D-rock, burlesk, pgabriel and 3 others like this.