1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by JMAD21, Aug 27, 2012.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

This thread is for any type of Texas Tech football talk.

After the past two dreadful seasons for Tubby and the Red Raiders, Tech is looking to bounce back this season. Im trying to be optimistic and I'm predicting an 8-4 season (not counting bowl game)

It seems like our D is improving (like it could be any worse) but nonetheless that is a good sign. Doege is gonna be solid, I have no doubts about that. We are incredibly deep at both WR and RB, so as long as we stay healthy our offense should be one of the tops in the country again.

Its all gonna come down to the newcomers on D i think. JC transfer Will Smith is supposedly a game-changer at MLB, Pete Robertson is a DB turned DE and has drawn Von Miller comparisons in camp (but that seems unlikely)

So Tech fans (or any football fan) have at it, talk some Tech football and share your thoughts on the upcoming season.

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Wow, not to many Tech fans on this board I assume lol

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It'll be fun to watch them finally play TCU!

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Ill probably be at that game, hope it's a tech win!

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Really thought there were more Tech fans on this board....

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's mostly Longhorns, anti-Aggies, Cougars, and Aggies - in that order. Myself, I'm an anti-Tech guy. Was upset when y'all didn't lose academic accreditation.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think there's 3 total if you count the ghost of Fatty FatBastard.

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Here Here.

The defense was the worst I've ever seen from a Tech defense. Some games it seemed liked they just quit. Hopefully they can be a top 80 defense and that would be an extra win or 2.

I'm going 7-5.

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm no Tech fan, but I'm not a hater, either. I actually really enjoyed watching Leach's later Tech teams, in particular that 2008 team.

Here's my question for a Tech fan, though. By all accounts, Tuberville is bringing in more talent than Leach was if you believe recruiting rankings. I realize that sometimes you have to take those rankings with a grain of salt, but I think it means something.

And yet the team has been worse under Tuberville and things really fell apart last season. Why is that? Is Tuberville still struggling to get "his guys" into "his system?" Is he just an inferior in-game coach? Is it the assistants?

10. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Tubberville has recruited very well. I agree that does mean something. His first year he won the Ticket City Bowl while that's definitely not a great accomplishment it's about an avg Tech season maybe slightly lower.

They fired their D Coordinator after that season brought in Glascow from TCU. I thought it was a great hire but the defense was very unorganized. Granted they are probably not very talented but they got absolutely gashed by the running the game in a passing conference. Also that team had an insane amount of injuries.

I think this year will be similar to an Mike Leach average year. I'm excited about the offense I think their receiver corps are as good as Leach's (minus the Crabtree years)..Now with yet another D Coordinator that brings a more traditional style will help.

I predict 7-5 but would not surprise to see a game or 2 better than that. It's just last years defense is stuck in my head.

Also with our joke of an out of conference a 3-0 start its not asking too much to go 7-5 or 8-4...

11. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

I can see tech going 7-5 or 8-4 easily. I think they were much better than there record last year. If it wasnt for the pick in the last 30sec vs Mizzou and the blocked FG vs A&M, tech could have easily gone 7-5, not to mention the injuries. Staying healthy will be huge. If they can even field a mediocre defense they can be dangerous, cause the offense has tons of talent. But after last years D, even being mediocre is a huge step.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I will also say this about Tech football. They always seem to have a handful of players that I feel like have been around forever. This year it's guys like Eric Stephens, Alex Torres and Adam Zouzalik. Last year, it was Tramain Swindall and Donnie Carona.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hey what's up with BCG, why are they looking into what he's doing? Did something come up or is it because he's BCG?

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It sounds like excuses, but I think injuries has the most to do with it. We had 6-7 rotation guys that had to have knee surgery and missed a sizable amount of time.

But also, some of Tubby's in game decision making is very questionable. He gambles when he should be conservative, and he's conservative when he needs to gamble. The last 2 years have been the best 2 year stretch techs ever had in recruiting though, so you would think eventually we would have the talent/depth to compete for a Big12 title again...

Im predicting 8-4, we play the best three teams in the conference all at home (WV, OU, UT) so i think we will upset one of them.

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Why anti-tech?? Aggie fan?

Aggies are really the only group that collectively hate Tech. Probably because we owned them for a little while there, till 09... Oh ya, and we **** in their busses... lol

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I hate that Tech team that beat the horns in 08. That team was better than the Big 12 champ team a year later.

There are no fans that are more riled up to play Texas every year then Tech. I dont' know if it's bc Texas is the big in state overly hyped team or what. Tech fans, is there a team that fans get crazier for more? Or am I imagining all of that?

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It's close for me. For most fans its probably the Texas game.

For me, I dont hate UT, but my brother is a UT fan so every year we go at it for the whole week before the game. Thats probably the game that I want to win the most every year.

I always like the OU game because for some reason, they always have a hard time against us (except 08 when we were actually favored)

I also always enjoyed and will really miss playing A&M, I considered them our biggest rival. And of al our rivals, they probably hate us more than anyone else hates us (except maybe Baylor). I really hope they eventually start playing again cuz those were always fun games to watch.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, Tech fans are vulgar. It's more a dislike of the school and its academic program. As for football specifically, I felt Mike Leach started a trend that spread throughout college football - the spread. It's a personal taste thing but I feel the style of play has cheapened the sport. I don't like watching the games nearly as much as I used to. I find it boring and amateur. Again, Leach is brilliant and I like when he ran that offense but now it's everywhere, although to a lesser degree.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I feel the opposite way about what Leach brought to college football. It's because of all the different offenses you see in the college game that I have become a much bigger college football fan than an NFL fan. Outside of the Texans, I just don't really have any interest in the NFL.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, I think the high scoring attracts the casual fans. For guys like me, definitely the minority, it kills the game. Now you have guys like BJ Simmons that can come in and break records. It's cheesy to me. It happens in the NFL too now - the difference is only the most elite quarterbacks are capable of accomplishing it. In college you've Sonny Cumby throwing for 600yds.