1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. biina

biina Member

and what has that got to do with the facts of the case?

2. Granville

Granville Member

The problem is agenda driven often set their own unrealistic standards. The officer did act professionally in the Brown case and many other officers have as well yet have been harassed and crucified for just doing their job. Even if in the Bland case if the officer acted unprofessionally that's not a license to act the way Bland did that day.

That kind of verbal abuse happens on a daily basis to officers. Spend some time talking to police officers of any race. It's not just one race acting that way these days either. It's a stupid, dangerous and unproductive waste of time to hold officers to an impossible standard. This no compromise approach prevalent in today's society on so many subjects is decaying human civility.

3. Granville

Granville Member

Actually it's not what Zimmerman said. He never said he hunted him down nor did he say he initiated a fight. Hanging on to those kind of falsehoods is why you can't understand the verdict.

4. Granville

Granville Member

Can't disagree with any of that in principal except to say that Martin was young enough to change the path he was on had he not assaulted an armed person.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Two idiot wannabe tough guys escalated an avoidable situation.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Should be able to, but haven't actually gotten a warrant to do so, so far as I know. But, this idea that there must be some relationship between them is totally made up simply because people think there must be more to it. There is nothing that the public knows that is at all suggestive that they know each other. That does not mean the cops shouldn't check -- doesn't hurt to be careful -- but I doubt there are any legs to this idea.

When you make appeals to treat the police fairly and not let narratives of racial injustice color our perception of the case, and then assert Zimmerman didn't murder anyone, I'm not left feeling a lot of confidence. I want a better justice than what Trayvon got. If you think the Zimmerman case rendered justice, I have no confidence in your assessment of the Guyger case. You wrote (very eloquently, I appreciated it) about blinders from hate, but I don't think those are the only blinders at play. There is an unwillingness to look at the acceptability of the status quo (investigative procedures in this case, interpretation of stand your ground laws in Zimmerman's case). There is a sympathy bias where people can more readily identify with one person than with the other (easier to understand Guyger's fear and confusion thinking she's stumbled upon a burglar in her home in this case, easier to understand Zimmerman's fear getting knocked down by someone he's sure is a criminal in the other). I'm not coming to this case with a bunch of racial baggage, but from a justice (not legal) perspective, I don't think you're looking at either case with a wide enough lens. Not because of our long history of racial injustice (though that is a thing) but because the rules we've established for ourselves are imperfect, and our natural inclinations are colored. If you're talking about justice and not law, it isn't enough to say 'standard practice is this' or 'the statute says that' or 'what would you have done in her shoes.'

mdrowe00 and Rocket River like this.
  7. biina

biina Member

He was armed and followed him with intent despite police instructions otherwise, got out of his car and confronted him - that would qualify as hunting and initiating.

The composition of the jury and revealed details of the deliberation was enough to let me understand the verdict.

But you are entitled to your opinion. All I can do is hope that one day such an event hits close to home for you, and then we can see what you truly believe.

Exiled and Rocket River like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You sir have a level head
    and
    Even at points and time where we have not agreed
    I could at least say you were consistent and level headed
    and I could see some points . . .and maybe interpretated them differently

With the person you responded too . . .the Zimmerman was right thing makes discussion a non-starter for me
    When you can justify a grown man stalking a 16 yr old kid . . . provoking the kid .. .then killing the kid. . .all against police orders
    Then
    They will turn around and say Jean should have obey police orders in his own home

Well .. they are doing nothing but finding way to justify the killing of black men IMO

Rocket River

mdrowe00 and JuanValdez like this.
  9. krnxsnoopy

Yeah Zimmerman was a fake tough guy emboldened by carrying a gun. In a lot of ways, he's like many in the police. Scared ****less fake tough guys with guns.

Trayvon was a wannabe tough guy 16 year old punk kid. But then again who isn't a wannabe tough guy at 16 years old. I'm sure alot of people were.

Still, being a 16 years old doesn't take away from the fact Trayvon escalated the situation by acting like a typical tool. When keepin' it real goes wrong.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So you're gonna contradict yourself and defend the the guy who didn't follow law enforcement's orders?

Just admit it, you're a hypocrite. Let's hope you don't end up defending yourself against a stranger with a gun.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. Granville

Granville Member

That's all your opinion of the events that day, not actual facts.

FTR... I shared a criminal event that hit home to me. I shared how I felt about the system and the investigative process and what I had to do to cope and grow. You know what I believe. You are an awful person to wish pain on someone else.

Also FTR, I have mad respect for Amaru for baring his soul the way he did even though we have a different perspective on paths to move forward in a productive manner.

12. krnxsnoopy

I think the female police officer believing a burglar was in her home is complete horsesh!t.

Anyone with common sense would know how unfeasible that is.

Does she not recognize the furniture in her own home?? Give her benefit of the doubt, and the best case scenario we take away her police credentials, because her spatial awareness is total **** to do her job properly. She should go work at McDonalds.

13. Granville

Granville Member

Just admit you don't know fact from fiction. It was never proven that Zimmerman followed the Martin after he was told by the Dispatcher to not follow Martin, Zimmerman's story was that he was returning to the car. Had the jury believes your version of the events, ZImmerman would have been convicted. The jury obviously didn't think Martin was defending himself either.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

How can a dead man testify to his defense? That's why I carry too, because dead people can't talk and if i kill a guy I have a better shot at getting off than the dead guy has to prove I didn't start the issue.

At least I'm not a hypocrite though. I love having my guns but I hate ****ing POS scumbags and no I don't give two ***** about Michael Brown. Philandro Castile on the other hand...

15. Granville

Granville Member

My assessment of the Guyger case is with the facts we have before us is that my opinion is that she's at least guilty of manslaughter. From my perspective, there's not really much of anything to think a lesser charge might apply here. I don't think with what we know that she went there with the intent to kill him or that she just out and out killed him because of his skin color. If actual evidence comes forward to support a murder charge then I would support that charge. I think she panicked and shot him again based on what we now know.

Zimmerman was getting his head pounded in to the sidewalk that much is clear. Being followed does not give someone a right to assault the person following them. I don't own a gun but if I did that's a situation where I might fear for my life and use the gun to protect myself.

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. biina

biina Member

There would have been no situation if Zimmerman had followed police instruction. But yea blame the back kid and not the guy following him with a gun who claims it was the kid that escalated. As usual the black guy is not available to tell his side of the story cos someone shot and killed him

Rocket River likes this.
  17. Granville

Granville Member

Let me get this straight...... In your world, you have and have an issue with a guy, kill him and feel justified since his dead ass can't talk to dispute your claims. But you have an issue with someone that you accuse of doing the same thing, yet you're not a hypocrite?

18. krnxsnoopy

Not "blaming the black kid". Blaming both of them. It could have been easily avoided.

It doesn't matter Zimmerman pursued him. Trayvon Martin could have disengaged and moved along.

They both escalated the situation buddy. Two idiots making stupid decisions to be a wannabe tough guy, resulted in tragedy.

Granville likes this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

More interested in survival of my family and my people than potentially promoting change. I don't think all police are corrupt but I'm not willing to bet the safety of people I hold dear on the fact that I MAY be dealing with one of the "good ones",

Rocket River likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

No. I have the option to do it. I have more power as a gun owner in a conflict with someone without a gun. That’s just the facts. I know that in Texas I have more laws that protect me than non gun owners.

What I’m saying is you’re a hypocrite for defending a guy that ignored LE orders and taking his side even though he did the WRONG thing.