1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

donkeypunch and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thanks, FFB? Can I give you some tips on can't-miss fast food places? ;)

The taste was fantastic, I must say. Crust was perfect and it was tender throughout. Burnt ends (no, not in KC) were awesome. This was my 2nd attempt at a brisket on the BGE. First one didn't go so well.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I have a knockoff BGE and one thimg i did to mine (kamoto) was mount a pizza stone above the charcoal but below the grill grate to ensure the heat was indirect and to fan the smoke out a bit throughout. I always loved my komodo but it was sometimes hard to protect agaonst the direct heat.

I recentlh upgraded to "The Open Range" by TheGoodOne and it is bad ass. Highly recommend if you're okay with spending the money.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im doing the same thing on an Akorn, but Ive always put the meat on the secondary rack instead of the primary grate. Also the pizza stone Im using covers a good amount of the coals- it probably leaves a 2 inch wide perimeter around the edges. I also build a pyramid to keep the heat from getting on the outside as well and it has has worked well for me.

The Good One Open Range looks interesting though.

5. leroy

Part of the deal I got when I bought my BGE was getting the "Conveggtor Plate"

[​IMG]

This is what allows for indirect cooking on the BGE for smoking and pizzas.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

hey at least you're improving.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Finally found myself within a reasonable distance to Killens in Pearland this past Saturday. at Noon it was about a 30 minute wait which wasn't too bad.

I had a variety of stuff:
    Moist Brisket - Grade B Tasty, Nice bark. Overall solid but not worth standing in line for.
    Pork Ribs - Grade B+ Tasty and well cooked.
    Pork Belly Burnt Ends - A - Excellent and would have been the star of the meal except.
    Beef Rib - A+ Well cooked, nice bark and the star of the meal (if you ignore the price tag on the huge rib!)

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Ate all those by yourself? damn what's for dinner then?

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

[​IMG]

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Don't you guys use a water pan in your BGE? I helps with the smoke ring and solves the direct heat problem.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Their lean brisket is the way to go, still really tender with good bark and not dry at all.
    1/2 lb of brisket and a beef rib with some beans and mac and cheese, that’s my go to. Eat there about once every two weeks or so. Live in Pearland

13. leroy

I did with my last brisket...sitting on top of the plate and below the meat. Helped out a lot.

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Cross posting from the “New” BBQ thread to this main BBQ thread.

I made it to Interstellar BBQ in NW Austin today. Well worth the short wait on a Saturday at lunch time.

Brisket. A- Well cooked and tasty. Nice smoke ring and bark.

Pork Ribs A. Nice sweet and spicy with a just the right kick.

Beef Rib A+. Special on the board. Cooked as well as any I’ve ever had.

I didn’t try the sauce or any sides. Sorry it was all about the meat.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oatmeal. So he can, uh, pass all that.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

17. Buck Turgidson

There is no truth to the story that when FFB said he was "sidelineing as a country singer" he was actually making laxative commercials

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

My 24" reverse flow was finally delivered after a 13 week build!

Fully insulated firebox to ensure the cold in England won't be a problem in a couple of year's time.

The freight company also royally F'd the firebox door. Considering the firebox is completely insulated you'd assume they'd attach straps underneath that, but no, just underneath the cooking chamber. Firebox nosedived right into the bed of the truck as soon as it was off the ground. So now the vents on the firebox don't close and are jammed in place, as well as a bunch of cosmetic issues. Not happy.

The pit-builder is heading to my state in a couple of months to deliver a monster unit to a restaurant and is going to take a detour to my place to touch up all the blemishes and get the firebox door right. He was irate. As was I.

First cook was a 7kg brisket and a 6.2kg boston butt. Pulled the brisket as soon as it hit 200 internal, good learning lesson for the future to never go by temp, considering it probably needed another 3 or so hours in there even though the bark was perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Was passing through Houston two Thursday's past and had to meet my Mom along I-10 on the east side to drop off my grandma. She suggested Pappas BBQ at Federal road. I was on a roadie to the Keys and decided I'd just grab a rib plate to go.

Beef Ribs - D minus -- Barely edible. Tough stringy and horrible.
    Pork Ribs - D+ -- A little better than the beef ribs... but barely.
    Baby Back Ribs D+ -- about the same as the pork ribs.

The spicy rice was the star of the show. All the ribs had the same flavor profile and all were horribly cooked. I had to stop for whataburger a little later just to get the taste out of my mouth.

I won't make that "how bad can it be" mistake again. It was HORRIBLE, except the rice.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya Pappas is damn near inedible.