1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M to SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Texas State is playing A&M on Thanksgiving this year?

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Lol ... Yeah Refman ... When RM95 says "we" you have no idea who he is talking about so you need clarification.

That said ... Cmon RM95 .. That was weak smack ... You are better than that ... You might as well have replied with "Yo Mama!"

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Ease up, Donny. Googrux has been very consistent in the fact that he roots for the Longhorns. If he is talking about football and says "we," you know who he is talking about.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

So... we can have the pep rally now?

5. RocketManJosh

6PM tomorrow at the Zone Club for celebration/Press Conference

Open to public

6. TheresTheDagger

A great day in Aggieland. Helps take some (not all) of the sting out of yesterday.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'll miss playing Texas, still hoping that can be worked out.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

actually no. i have never intentionally said we when referring to ut.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, yes, I was. But that's irrelevant.

What were we talking about?

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just heard buyout sum for the Ags will be $31 million, and the remaining schools in Big 12 aren't in the mood to negotiate that down.

also, this:

ChipBrownOB Chip Brown
    Texas A&M source tells Orangebloods.com #SEC made A&M official Sunday because it felt B12 stabilizing and because A&M plays Ark this wk.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Or maybe, just wishful thinking, the SEC has Mizzou in the bag and plans on the Big 12 crumbling.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The reason why I doubt that happens is because I just have a difficult time believing the SEC wants to destroy the Big 12 and stare down legal issues for the next 36 months. They were hesitant to make one invitation without every school in the Big 12 granting unconditional releases...and they didn't ultimately accept ags in until after there was movement in keeping the Big 12 together. My guess is the SEC knows the Big 12 holds together, and it's why they moved when they did on A&M...and it's why they won't move on Mizzou.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I can't see Mizzou leaving killing the Big 12.

That will just accelerate the cannibalization of the Big East by the Big 12.

If UT wants the Big 12 to stay alive (and they do, ironically only because of the LHN, i.e. the thing that almost killed it), then it will survive.

14. Major

Major Member

At this point, it doesn't look like the Big12 is going anywhere. If Mizzou leaves (I would, if I were them, just to get the permanent stability), then the Big12 will just keep going down the chain and bringing in crappier and crappier schools.

At that point, you'll probably have lost 4 of the 6 most valuable programs in the conference and reduced the overall academic quality of the conference by losing A&M and Mizzou. But all that seems to matter to Texas is a conference that lets them have the LHN, no matter how bad the quality of the teams or schools in it may be.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree, its unlikely. But they definitely want Mizzou. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And yes, I want the Big 12 to fall on its face, get over it. Unless they add UH and/or SMU (they wont) and bring in a slew of solid programs (they should strive for 12 teams) like BYU.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

But you did say that wen UT beat USC in the rose bowl in 2005 it was the best day of your life. That's pretty pathetic if a sporting event was the best day of your life - especially when you didn't even attend that university.

17. RocketManJosh

And A&M will use the precedent set by the Big XII in letting Nebraska and Colorado go for half of what they "owed". Big XII will withold the $15MM that they were going to give to A&M this season and they are going to have to fight A&M in court to get anything more. Everyone is still operating on the same bylaws and agreements that were in place when Neb and CU left.

Again the question for some of you. The Big XII wants this 6 year Media Rights agreement. Mizzou is not going to agree to that. At that point the Big XII's options are to:

1) Watch Mizzou leave and essentially let them go like A&M (Most likely IMO)
    or
    2) Agree to let Mizzou keep playing in the Big XII without being a part of that agreement creating further instability as they could leave next year

I don't see any way that Mizzou isn't gone whether it is this year or next. Seems to me, the Big 12 would be better off just letting them go now and moving to stabilize the conference as quickly as possible.

#3497 RocketManJosh, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If Greg and Bob owe me $100, and I let them settle for half, and then afterwards Aggie owes me $100, what "precedent" obligates me to give them the same break? Sounds like Aggie math to me.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

big12 or not. if I had to put money on a&m finishing the season ranked in the top 10 or laughably anywhere close to a national championship game in the next 20 years I wouldnt put it on a&m that's for sure.

to put it in perspective I would bet on the rockets winning a championship before a&m finishing in the top 10. and I also think there is decent chance they finished unranked this year.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That's what, $620/student? Because if the taxpayers bailout the Aggie athletic program again, someone should burn down the gubernatorial trailer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.