1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Aggies were robbed. The ball clearly went out before the goal line.

AB423 likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

A loss stings.

I thought the Jimbo Fisher signing was ridiculous, but then you look at Sumlin in Arizona and the state of FSU football coupled with a 2 point loss against the #2 team in the country, and things might actually not be so bad.

Mond looks vastly improved from last year. Really unfortunate that the one play where he had to leave (and Starkel was inserted) resulted in a turnover, and that the fumble-into-the-end-zone call, stood.

This Aggies team looks pretty damn good, even just 2 games in to the season.

Torn n Frayed and raining threes like this.
  3. TheresTheDagger

I've never felt this "good" after a loss by the Aggies. It was a disappointing loss for sure, but I'm very happy with the fight they showed today and I can already see the difference Fisher has made in the program.

Two weeks from now at Alabama will be interesting now....

BigDog63, Torn n Frayed and body slam like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think I've ever felt good about a loss by any team I follow. Ever. Except this one. This was the first one ever.

I would have been HOT if the game was over on the touchback, but it wasn't, we had a chance.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There were a couple of bad calls in that game for sure, but those missed field goals were the actual difference in the game. Early points matter and I had a gut feeling that those (especially the first chip shot one) were going to come back and haunt us.

Consolation prize: 5 star commit Demond Demas in person after the game. Flips from strong Texas consideration.

https://247sports.com/college/texas...star-commitment-after-Clemson-game-121637211/

EDIT: It was rumored last night, but made official today. In some services he's 5 star, in others a super strong 4 star, but the Aggies have another QB of the future commit after the game as well: Malik Hornsby

https://thespun.com/sec/texas-am/no-2-dual-threat-qb-malik-hornsby-announces-commitment

Rumors are that not only the good showing against Clemson, but the 103,000 fans and the rocking atmosphere during the game swayed both. Described by on-scene national analysts as "the best regular season college football game atmosphere" in the nation, especially last night.

#4705 Supermac34, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Ziggy and TheresTheDagger like this.
  6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Amazing game. This team would steamroll last year’s Kevin Sumlin team, but don’t get too down on them when the records look about the same at the end of the season. It’s going to take a couple years to put it all together, but the effort and the professionalism they showed against Clemson was phenomenal.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's taken me 48 hours to get over this one (**** you refs.....and umps), but I'm really proud of the team and the resiliency they showed. I was HIGHLY skeptical that Mond would be able to take the next step in his development, but if Saturday is any indication, it looks like he's worked his ass off this off-season. The poise and maturity he showed to lead us back into that game was incredible. And also, it helps that we've got some badass receivers on this squad. I'm legitimately excited for the future......especially since we just got Hornsby and Demas! Huge gets!! Jimbo and Kyle Field doing work!

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree. Even through training camp, what I was hearing indicated a new focus on attention to detail and excellence. I thought these things showed in this game, even though a loss. There weren't a lot of penalties or missed assignments, like you might expect in an early game with a young team. Clemson made some key plays...but that was because they have great players, not because of Aggie mistakes. So, even outside of the actual outcome which showed the Aggies could well have won that game...I saw a lot of reason for optimism just in how the game was approached and played. Tight ends! Yes! Any of those who have followed the Aggies for a long time know the TE was always a staple in their offense. Good to see that back! I was flabbergasted when I heard that in the prior year, A&M TE's had only caught 7 passes. SEVEN?? WTF?! Even in a spread offense, TE's still create a mismatch.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW, QB development is a strong point of Fisher's, and it showed. Consider that QB's fled Sumlin....

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't think Sumlin was entirely to blame, for the Kyle Allen / Kyler Murray situation. Both QBs played completely different styles and both had their strengths and weaknesses. It was hard to objectively pick one over the other, because you're always left with "what-ifs." I think Sumlin was tempted to go with Murray, because he was Manziel-lite, but Allen had the pocket presence that Murray lacked.

I still don't know if Kyler Murray has it, but he's tearing it up in Oklahoma right now, though.

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think Sumlin created the dysfunctional environment in which both those QB's found themselves. Consider that there hasn't really even been a similar situation in college football before; ie, BOTH top QB prospects leaving a school, at essentially the same time. When Murray left, Allen was already gone, so playing time wasn't the issue any more.

Murray definitely seems to have 'it'...but this is two years later. Who knows how those intervening years would have gone for him here. Regardless, this seems to have been the beginning of the end for Sumlin. He actually got lucky even finding Trevor Knight (a quality starting QB just looking for a home)..or it could have been a lot worse.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.secsports.com/article/24721837/sec-releases-2019-football-schedule

August 31: Texas State
    September 7: @ Clemson
    September 14: Lamar
    September 21: Auburn
    September 28: Arkansas(Arlington)
    October 5: Bye
    October 12: Alabama
    October 19: @ Ole Miss
    October 26: Mississippi State
    November 2: UTSA
    November 9: Bye
    November 16: South Carolina
    November 23: @ Georgia
    November 30: @ LSU

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Football fans that gets excited over schedule releases are the worst people. No offense. Just running the data.

14. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Oh no way...a team scheduled a bye before playing Bama

15. body slam

body slam Member

16. solid

Sometimes the impossible actually happens.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Aggies scored in every quarter... Tide could not ;)

Hoped it would at least be close, but A&M covered the spread.

18. solid

Aggies should have stayed in the Big 12; Alabama likely will go undefeated. They really ruin college football. I actually think they could beat several NFL teams. It is like they make the season all for nothing. And they will do it all over next year.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Disagree on that one. I don't even think there should be a Big 12 anymore.

I've seen Alabama MORE THAN ENOUGH since Saban got there (and quite a bit before he got there actually) and THIS Alabama team might be the most insane one I've seen. These Alabama teams have always been Thanos, but this year they have all of the Infinity Stones.

BigDog63 likes this.
  20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Bob Barker 007 likes this.