1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ya. I did get a cool Dave South bobblehead when I was able to make it to the last bball game last year, against Alabama.

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ya, this is symbolic of the hyprocrisy/stupidity inherent in many NCAA rules. Coaches can go wherever they want, students can't. This year, they enacted a rule that allows for a waiver of the 1 year waiting period for transfers if the transferee can show 'cause'. What's that going to lead to? Lots of stories like this one, as the student/athlete tries to get that year of eligibility. How come no one saw that coming??

As for the specific allegations, if true, they'll probably lead to additional scrutiny/oversight. But not a great way to start off your campaign.

3. Buck Turgidson

Aggie is as Aggie does.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes. Which is a realistic expectation. Way too many fans just assumed instant national championships. Reality is he has a good young core (which Sumlin should get credit for), had a great recruiting class, and is instilling a different mindset and approach, along with installing a new offense and probably defense. All these things take time. 8-4 would probably be a good year this year...which is about what Sumlin did every year. Then build off of that. 9-3 next year? 10-2? The difficulty they face is that they are in a division where you can be fifth or sixth in the country, and yet be fourth in your division (behind Alabama, Auburn, and LSU). Those are three teams they have to climb over...and that's a hard climb. Now seems like a good time to pass LSU. That still leaves them third IN THEIR DIVISION.

Success to me is getting to where those games with Alabama, Auburn, LSU are competitive every year. LSU has beaten the Ags six times in a row. They've had more success, surprisingly, against Auburn and Alabama (thanks, Johnny!). Get to where the odds makers think those games are close to toss ups, and that will be success. That will take at least a couple years. That great recruiting class for next is isn't even here yet, and when they are...they are all freshmen. So, it seems at least 3 years out. The current team will be seniors, and the incoming class next year will have some experience then. Get that core going, and then continue recruiting well....and aim for being in the top 5 teams each year. There are only a few schools in the country like that. Alabama, Clemson now, Ohio State, Oklahoma, maybe Washington. It's a tough nut to crack, even outside of their division.

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Actually, A&M has run a pretty clean program over the years. There haven't really been these types of issues. Last I recall was back with Sherill, which is quite a while ago.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't worry, he didn't put any actual thought into that statement, he's just trying to be cute for an audience of none. Or the 1/50000 chance bigtex sees the post.

7. Buck Turgidson

No, it's all for you, ziglet.

Fight Farmers Fight, just remember that Naah means Naah.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

9. TheresTheDagger

That was a nice debut for Coach Fisher. Now comes the part where we find out just exactly what kind of team we have. BTHO Clemson! Whoop!

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Beat Clemson and Fisher is the "man" in Aggieland.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They'll probably restructure (give him a raise) and extend his contract 3 years if that happens.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

And give him the city of Byran.

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree. But what constitutes a 'good effort' if they don't actually win? I would LOVE to see them beat Clemson...but Clemson and Abalama are really really good teams. A&M could play very well, and lose both.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If the Aggies can cover the 12 pt spread, I'd call that a really good effort. That Clemson front 7 is no joke, and I simply don't trust Mond to make the correct reads. I hope I'm wrong, but I really wasn't all that impressed with him last Thursday.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Looked out of bounds to me...though call

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right ****in' there. Too bad. :(

jordnnnn likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Better than I expected

body slam and J.R. like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Aggies lose the game. But it feels like a huge victory for the program. Mond has made tremendous improvement since last year.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

#4700 J.R., Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018