1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Buck Turgidson

Does he like dogs?

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The guy couldn't even remember players names. How did he stick around so long.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Don't like it. Don't want him. (Hot taek alert!) It'll be seen as a 'home run hire' now, not so much later. I give it 3 years before they say "He just came for the retirement check" just like they say about John Chavis.

And having not learned from the Sumlin deal, they're gonna give him a 7-10 year deal, starting (at minimum) in the $7.5M range with a large buyout, have to pay within 60 days if fired & not offset by a new job. blahblahblahnotyourmoneywhydoyoucareblahblahblah

Nook likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Who did you like? I'm fine with not liking Jimbo, just no denying it'd be a major pull for a school that probably wants to validate its dick size. Other than that, all I really have is - I do NOT want Chad Morris.

Gary Patterson would be SWEET. But he'll never leave DFW. Which actually makes me really not like him.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

I didn't want Morris either.

Power 5 coaches
    Gary Patterson(TCU)
    Chris Petersen(Washington)
    Mike Gundy(Oklahoma State) --> Was reportedly offered the Florida job & turned it down.
    Justin Fuente(Virginia Tech)
    Willie Taggart(Oregon)
    Chip Kelly(ESPN/now UCLA)
    Mike Leach(Washington State)
    Dan Mullen(Mississippi State/now Florida)
    Matt Campbell(Iowa State)

OK, so PatterPeterseon tell me no. What did I lose? Nothing. Move on to the next guy then.

Group of 5 coaches
    Mike Norvell(Memphis)
    Scott Frost(UCF) --> Turned down Florida so appears it's Nebraska or staying at UCF
    Lane Kiffin(FAU) --> :D Just kidding.
    Jason Candle(Toledo)
    Bryan Harsin(Boise State)
    Scott Satterfield(Appalachian State)
    Blake Anderson(Arkansas State)

but but but the spread/air raid won't/doesn't work in the SEC! ... Great, let's go hire Bret Bielema then. :rolleyes:

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wanted Florida to get Leach. Seems fun.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Just don't think Fisher is a fit for A&M.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why not? Not saying he is or isn't. Just ASKIN.

9. Buck Turgidson

He's a fat, white, southeastern redneck...can't figure out why he's not a perfect fit.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He was just introduced, and he's already met with Jalen Curry, and 2-3 other 4 star FSU recruits. Hopefully this is the beginning of some fun times at Kyle Field.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TAMU called me on Friday. Left a voicemail. Begging for money. Yeah, right. Get ****ed.

Nook likes this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Perhaps the "clean cut" or "conservative" image of A&M is just a myth, but if there is anything to it, Fisher doesn't fit it. He is an ends justify the means guy. Also, in recruiting he is not going to appeal to many religious families in Texas.

14. ABforPresident

Snatched. Love the hire, dude is probably the 4th best CFB coach behind Saban, Meyer, and Dabo

Ziggy likes this.
  15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I can't support him as the Aggie coach. He may be a good at the job, but the Jameis thing at FSU and the other issues with FSU players (Cook, et al.) was too much smoke for me to trust he really did not know anything. On top of that, Fisher's reactions to the response was not calm and reposed but antagonistic and "blame the media". I realize I'm in the minority, and A&M put out a tweet they vetted him, but I just cannot get past it.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Remind me what all the Jimbo stuff was? FSU in general always came off as sleazy. Might be a combination of institutional problems + coach.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's exactly what A&M is getting away from. They know that the only way they can break into the National Championship business is by shedding that image of themselves. Hiring Sumlin was a good start.....Fisher is just another step in that direction. Does Fisher have a bit of a checkered past at FSU? Absolutely. But does he bring REAL panache to College Station? ABSOLUTELY.

18. Nook

Nook Member

A coach coming off a 5-6 season gets $75,000,000.

Jimbo got out of FSU at just the right time. Lots of issues with that program.

It is good for the state if Jimbo does well at A&M but I don't think that he is really all that special a coach.

19. Buck Turgidson

Prediction: Jimbo recruits many/several NFL type studs, teams still mediocre. They're guaranteed 3 wins every year...4 if you count Arkansas.

Hustle Town and Nook like this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So you're saying nothing changes? NFL drafts have been littered with Aggie studs since Von Miller and the team records have been meh.