1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Texans] Was Titans win Dungy's Confidence Piece?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by desihooper, Sep 25, 2009.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Back in June, Tony Dungy gave an interview in Jacksonville where he stated the following,
    Since that time, we've incorporated some new players on defense (Smith, Cushing, etc.) and a new, supposedly more aggressive scheme with Frank Bush to compliment an offense that could move the ball between the 20's but struggled converting in the red zone.

Dungy mentioned a "confidence piece," and I'm starting to think more and more that this piece will be a signature win rather than another player (even though I think Cushing has been a revelation at OLB thus far).

We've all seen the Texans fail to build on a big win (see Tennessee last year), but from what they're saying in the media following the Titans game, it sounds like that light has gone off.

Regardless of what anyone says, Andre Johnson is the leader on this team. I think the other players recognize his greatness (Mario is getting to this level), how hard he works, and how much he cares and they want to play well for him because of the standard he sets. I think DeMeco and Dunta are the voice of the defense, and to hear Ryans come out and say that no one is going to come to their house and punk them (except Rex Ryan) and the mindset that Dunta plays with, you can't help but think they're going to somehow figure this thing out.

Can you say, attitude adjustment? Call it what you will, but I think our little team is growing up right in front of our eyes. Yes, they've shown signs before, and ended up tripping over themselves, but maybe they've finally got to the point where they're ready for their next big growth spurt?

We'll get a better read on how our little adolescents are doing come Sunday afternoon.

Oh, and one of the guys I'm most excited about stepping up to more of a leadership role on the offensive end is Eric Winston. He has a winning pedigree (Midland Lee and "the U"), and I think he's ready to step up and lead this O-line.

His comments after the Jets game
    and the Titans game where he challenged Kyle Vanden Bosch were inspiring to say the least.

#1 desihooper, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think Winston is my favorite Texan.

I check his vlog regularly and his articles are well written.

Bright guy who knows football.

Watching him send VandenDouche packing was priceless.

[​IMG]

Whatza matter, Kyle? :(

3. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

It's hilarious how people add douche to anything. Douchehole, douche-tastic, douchecity, doucheshirt, etc. VandenDouche can be added to the list. I laughed when I saw it at least. Douchenozzle takes the lead though. It's one thing to see it typed out and something else completely to hear someone actually say it. I literally laughed in my car the first time I heard it on the radio. :cool:

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nice OP (thanks for all the player quotes), but this question can't be answered until 3:30 on Sunday. Talk means NOTHING until you back it up.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, ima! To your point about 3:30 on Sunday, I fully agree.

They've got to seize this opportunity that's in front of them, rally around each other, and go out and take care of business. I think if the Texans can come out and really put away the Jags early (i.e. play with that killer instinct from kickoff) and then shore up their deficiencies against the Raiders (offensive and defensive running game), we can look back and better appreciate the Titans game as a true turning point - not just for this season, but for the franchise.

Of course, they can just as easily piss it all away by coming out flat and having MJD run all over them all day long....

As Parcells used to say, "you are what your record says you are." Are the Texans a 3-1 team, or just a .500 team?

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

One of my friends once got into an argument with a guy in our apartment complex. As we were walking away he muttered under his breath, "I hate that douchewaffle."

I damn near lost it.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How bout JusDouchey!?

Just messin wit ya man! :cool:

I like the way the Texans step it up and it's up to them as the OP stated to build on success. I'm not the biggest Texans fan but I live in Houston and I don't want people talkin down on any of our teams.

Its sometimes hard to watch but Houston sports will be put back on the map in a few years.

Go Rockets, Stros, Texans! :D

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

David Anderson was on 610 (I think it was Tuesday morning) saying how they were out to get Dreessen. Apparently he hurt one of their guys (might have been Vanden Bosch) throwing a cut block last year. DA said on one Texans punt, Dreessen took 4 or 5 shots just running down the field.